Burden - Fanvid

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Opeth

Burden - Fanvid

Post by Opeth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:46 pm

I see this as Eli dreaming, even when asleep he is unable to escape. I wanted to use the most symbolic music I could think of when I first started working on this, I wanted to use something that sounded totally chaotic or something that just descended down, down, down. I abandoned this video two months ago but I came back to it and finished it off yesterday in a couple of hours. I had problems with the height, width and the position that the clips were in. I'd set all the tracks to be the same but somehow the deleted scenes wouldn't be quite right, I don't know, I think there is something wrong with my copy of Vegas. :P The song is "Burden" by Opeth. I wish that the detuning went on for longer, it was hard to fit everything that I wanted in the video but I think it works well.

“God. God? Why can’t I have anything? Why can’t I . . .”
It has been brought up many times before, this question.
Why can’t I be allowed to live?
Because you should be dead.
Last edited by Opeth on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EEA

Re: Burden - Fanvid

Post by EEA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Cool video. :)
The video captures well how Eli feels about her existence. To me, it was Eli reflecting on all those memories that she has. And she wonders is anyone would take on the burden of getting to accept her.
Could it be Hakan or Oskar?
Nice song, I like the last part to, when the song turns sort of sinister.

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 am

Thank you, that's an interesting take on it, thanks for sharing your thoughts. :mrgreen: To me, it is about those thoughts and experiences that he has been through and must continue to go through if he wants to live. Though something good has come into his life, something that he needs more than anything, someone who has accepted him - Oskar, everything at times still overpowers him and the times they have shared together. I see this as almost equivalent to that part in the novel except it is the subconscious-dreaming.

Something about the laughter at the end, it could make it less sinister (I think of it every time I hear the song) or not depending on if you already thought it was cheesy :P. One of the mics was still on after they had finished a vocal take and someone tripped over a box, landed on their face and thus the laughing.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 pm

This is what I commented on YT ...
  • Hey, loved this vid, very chaotic :D

The deleted scenes are a different aspect ratio and so you have to zoom in to make the width right but then you lose some of the top and bottom of the frame, it's a compromise.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 am

It's too bad you couldn't have put the whole song into a video! I just listened to the song again after having not heard it in a few years and put it to what I know of Eli and his/her struggle and it fits pretty darn well. The only difference being that it seems that the character in the song dies thus giving up the burden whereas Eli has carried his/hers for over 200 years and it looks like it will continue on for many years to come. The female verse in "Coil" would also make for a good song tribute as well, the chorus of "Hope Leaves" works too:

"There is a wound that's always bleeding
There is a road I'm always walking
And I know you'll never return to this place"

It would work better if it "I'll never return to this place" but it's close. My Fanfic is partially inspired by this song due to the utter loneliness that the chorus drives home.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 am

Jameron wrote:This is what I commented on YT ...
  • Hey, loved this vid, very chaotic :D

The deleted scenes are a different aspect ratio and so you have to zoom in to make the width right but then you lose some of the top and bottom of the frame, it's a compromise.
:) I'm glad you did, I thought it might have just been my rip of my DVD or Vegas messing with me. With my other video I'm sure that I got the deleted scenes to somehow match up completely with the others, I'll have to go back and have a look.
varamiglite wrote:It's too bad you couldn't have put the whole song into a video! I just listened to the song again after having not heard it in a few years and put it to what I know of Eli and his/her struggle and it fits pretty darn well. The only difference being that it seems that the character in the song dies thus giving up the burden whereas Eli has carried his/hers for over 200 years and it looks like it will continue on for many years to come. The female verse in "Coil" would also make for a good song tribute as well, the chorus of "Hope Leaves" works too:

"There is a wound that's always bleeding
There is a road I'm always walking
And I know you'll never return to this place"

It would work better if it "I'll never return to this place" but it's close. My Fanfic is partially inspired by this song due to the utter loneliness that the chorus drives home.
Oo, a bit of a blast from the past for you, huh? I never gave a thought to the lyrics when coming up with the idea of using "Burden", using the end seemed perfect as it feels utterly draining, to me it does at least. You're right it would work pretty damn well, it would be very difficult though. The song is just over seven minutes long, using the edited single would be easier but the end is cut out. I'm not sure what exactly happens anymore to the character, I used to have a very clear interpretation a few years ago when I was in high school. Mikael has said that much of Watershed, especially "Burden" to "Hex Omega" is about a woman he was with years ago who decided to end her life, leaving her children behind. He heard about it while they were recording Watershed before the lyrics were written. I actually think that she's possibly the same woman that "To Bid You Farewell" centers around, there was an interview when Watershed was released and Mike talks about some of the lyrics and says how long it was since they were together. I traced it back and it ended around when Morningrise was being written & recorded in '96, that's the album TBYF is on.

I can't remember the lyrics for "Coil", I listened to it the other day. :lol: Axe's girlfriend does the verse I believe. "Hope Leaves" would be fitting even with that line, I've thought of using "Closure" before for a video-mostly 'cause of the end. Ultimately receiving no closure as "Hope Leaves" cuts into the song, that's how I've always viewed it anyway. I also had a plot laid out centering around Oskar, I can't remember it now . . . but I was going to use all of "Weakness". Oh, nice to know that someone else here has been inspired by them. What fic is it? Is it A Broken Child? I haven't read it yet.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Very interesting music choise, I like that it becomes a bit off, as if Eli's world as a bit off, in fact very much so. It fits. :)
The editing is something I haven't seen too much. A constant fane out and in, not frames over frames, but slowly yet fast, constat fadings. Very interesting, with no rythem and being picked at random. Fits the tone of the guitar playing. Very interesting, and I like that! I can tell it must have taken some time also, so well done! The way you solved this impressed me a great deal :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Weakness would be an awesome song to do a fanvid just on the basis of how awesome that song is but it can also relate to the characters well especially with the ending about being appalled by what the person has become. I could see that line fitting with when Oskar sees Eli chowing down on Lacke in the bathroom or when Eli laps up his blood in the basement. I'll bet in some way the entire Damnation album would fit LTROI in some way or form (or maybe I'm just biased because I love that album so much).

Yes I was referring to A Broken Child. It centers around the first like fifty years after Elias is bitten and how he aches to return to his family, mostly his younger sister Anna. Hope leaves fits well with the first part because he's always close to that place but he never goes back. He lingers outside his family's house at night but never goes in and never communicates with his family. Weakness fits in with it as a self-reflective piece because my Elias is an amateur and still tries to be merciful with his victims but in these little fits he throws due to his losses he is constantly surprised by just how brutal he can become. I think I gathered inspiration from other bands in that piece and directly referenced different artists and songs in my Little Star fanfic.

I really hope you can remember how your storyline that includes "Weakness" works out and that you're able to make that happen soon. I'm curious to see how your vision plays out because this vision was awesome!
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:13 am

Those scenes would fit perfectly! I've been trying to remember how the plot goes all day, I'm not sure if this was part of it or if I only came up with the idea today but I drifted off towards using the bedroom scene over the Stain me, save me/Take me to my home/Hold me, show me/Take me to my home part, or using the bleeding scene and the scene afterwards-"Be me a little.". One thing I do know for sure is that I wanted to use filters. I'd bet on that too, I could see it working because of the themes the album explores. I used to absolutely love Damnation, I listened to it last night and this morning, boy have I missed it. I still feel very strongly about it but not as much as I used to, My Arms, Your Hearse and SL have always been my favourites. He he, romanticist I am... :lol: I'm definitely biased when it comes to almost all of their albums, the only exception is really Heritage. I really would like to start working on that video, hopefully I get the urge to edit & can recall more of the storyline.

I haven't read a fanfic that completely centers around Elias' first few years or decades yet, only as memories shared with Oskar. I'd like to read yours after I finish off EEA's BTTS, is it finished? When you were writing it did you intentionally make those two reference or did it happen subconsciously & just kind of work out? Don't know if you're a Smiths fan but reading that immediately made me think of: Now I'm outside your house/I'm alone/And I'm outside your house/I hate to intrude maybe he doesn't see it as his home anymore in a sense, he knows he doesn't belong there. I haven't read a Little Star fic either, I know there are few of them. Ha, it makes a lot of sense to reference a ton of artists and songs, seeing as how John made so many in LS. LS is almost tied with LTROI as my favourite JAL novel. Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you really enjoyed the video. :D
intrige wrote:Very interesting music choise, I like that it becomes a bit off, as if Eli's world as a bit off, in fact very much so. It fits. :)
The editing is something I haven't seen too much. A constant fane out and in, not frames over frames, but slowly yet fast, constat fadings. Very interesting, with no rythem and being picked at random. Fits the tone of the guitar playing. Very interesting, and I like that! I can tell it must have taken some time also, so well done! The way you solved this impressed me a great deal :D
Well I wanted the music to relate to the pace of the video not just what was going on in the scenes, also I wanted to try something that I haven't seen done much in FVs, though I also used a lot of fades in my other video. It did take a couple of hours mainly because I can't actually preview it when I'm editing, my laptop is too slow so I have to render it out often to figure out how the video is going. I didn't plan it out very much, I only really wanted to have Eli doing his little twirl at the climax of the solo and to have Jocke at the end. I improvised & that seems to work best for me, along with when it comes to writing music too. Thanks Trige, flattered that you thought it was interesting. :)

Daniel Ether

Post by Daniel Ether » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 am

Awesome video! I too like it very much. Good that you finished it. I really like the feeling of this one. Especially the scene where you see Eli alone, reaching for the wall to Oskar together with the scene where both are so close to each other... it works so great. :(
I will listen to Opeth more... :geek: :D

Return to “Fan Art”