Winged Eli sketches.

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Casper

Re: Winged Eli sketches.

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm

PeteMork wrote: And if you think this is a bad design, watch an albatross landing. :lol:
It's angry birds! Those poor guys are so adorable, hope they're not hurt to much by that.
Carpe Noctem

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:59 pm

All is clear now. Eli , you can fly free as a bird. :D

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:36 am

I cut out a pair of these for the purpose of finding the center of gravity as instructed by metoo. However things went of the rails at that point. My 12 yr old took off with one and I've not seen it since. Apparently Eli has found a new friend. There was then a lengthy discussion of whether Eli could have bird-like bones so that his legs would not be too heavy during flight. My son was willing to consider making up a pair of wings for himself to wear but we disagreed on what material to use and how to attach it to his arms and back. If, by some chance, this does get created, I'll try to get a picture. And I have no idea what happened to the second cutout. Hopefully it wasn't left out in the sunlight; might have gone poof.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:23 am

Update: When you start to make this in real life, it is a bit astonishing to see how much area all this is taking up. The wing tips stretch surprisingly far out from the torso.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:04 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Update: When you start to make this in real life, it is a bit astonishing to see how much area all this is taking up. The wing tips stretch surprisingly far out from the torso.
Yes, the arms (including fingers) would need to become more than twice as long as normal to create a reasonable wing area. I estimate the wing span to exceed two metres.

BTW, I preferred not to extend the arms in my sketch, but just the involved fingers.
Last edited by metoo on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Update: When you start to make this in real life, it is a bit astonishing to see how much area all this is taking up. The wing tips stretch surprisingly far out from the torso.
This depends also on the fact, how Eli is using his wings. For gliding or for waving in high rate. The first option requires bigger wings than the second and saves power. The second is better for speed and agility. Requires much more power.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:11 pm

mackousko wrote:This depends also on the fact, how Eli is using his wings. For gliding or for waving in high rate. The first option requires bigger wings than the second and saves power. The second is better for speed and agility. Requires much more power.
True. A hummingbird has tiny wings, but flaps them vigorously to compensate. The wings I have drawn are on the small side, the wing loading would be rather high, probably requiring almost constant flapping. Eli would fly like a goose rather than like a seagull.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:31 pm

metoo's wings, slightly modified. :D

EDIT: Of particular interest to me is the position of his legs at the beginning of the flight, and what he does to level himself out.
http://www.myspace.com/video/nbc-today- ... /108614445

and

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/317266/ ... d-fake.htm
Last edited by PeteMork on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:39 am

Now that's pretty cool.
Carpe Noctem

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 am

I don't buy this one. The arms at times are out of sync with the wings and the legs have minds of their own.
Perhaps more significantly, if this was real, there would be huge coverage by the media for what would be a massive step in un-powered flight, which there isn't.
"There are two kinds of people I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch." :D - Nigel Powers.

Return to “Fan Art”