Without the light, there would be no dark.

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
covenant6452

Without the light, there would be no dark.

Post by covenant6452 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:53 pm

You would think that Oskar, would be the light, Eli the dark. But things aren't that simple in this story are they? My first impression of Oskar after seeing him bullied by Conny, then seeing his murder book and the tree stabbing scene, I thought that Oskar was on his way to losing it big-time, nearing some kind of psychotic episode. Maybe involving his school and a backpack full of weaponry? Then I saw his smile the morning after Eli solved the cube, what a smile, and I thought..."is he the light one then?". And then there's Eli. Dark by nature, a bloodsucking vampire yes, but she cries when she kills! Then the scene comes along when Oskar says "then you never get any birthday presents?" and Eli is freshly washed and her hair is clean and curly and she was soooo cute in the close-up at the moment she replies "nej." The first time I watched this film I was confused for a while about who was the "bad" guy here. How can anyone so small, cute and helpless (looking) be evil? After a few viewings, (I must be getting close to 100 now) I saw that they weren't seperate light and dark, but each of them were "light" characters with the "dark"ness forced upon them by the world around them. What do you say?

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... e-no-light
Last edited by covenant6452 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

Wolfchild

Re: Without the light, there would be no dark.

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Kewl. Now the only other thing that I would suggest that you add is a link from here back your piece:

Apparently I need to reword the upload instructions. Is the process too convoluted?
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:21 pm

No it's not you it's me, I guess i need to have my hand held...lol. :lol:

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:28 pm

No Wolf everything is there in black and white, I just need to use it a few more times to get the hang of it, others will pick it up faster than me, believe me. I will post a few more things today and tomorrow, maybe a passage from my fanfic as well so I can get the hang of it and see if there are any bugs, but I doubt it, as far as I can tell everything works, except for the thing I mentioned in the other post about the personal contact form.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

covenant6452 wrote:... as far as I can tell everything works, except for the thing I mentioned in the other post about the personal contact form.
Yeah, that is probably disabled because I didn't want people sending messages to users over there. I want to direct all of the discussions, both public and private, here to forums since the forums are a much better tool for it. I think I will see about modifying the personal contact form so it just redirects to your forum profile.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

lombano

Post by lombano » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 am

covenant6452 wrote:You would think that Oskar, would be the light, Eli the dark. But things aren't that simple in this story are they? My first impression of Oskar after seeing him bullied by Conny, then seeing his murder book and the tree stabbing scene, I thought that Oskar was on his way to losing it big-time, nearing some kind of psychotic episode. Maybe involving his school and a backpack full of weaponry? Then I saw his smile the morning after Eli solved the cube, what a smile, and I thought..."is he the light one then?". And then there's Eli. Dark by nature, a bloodsucking vampire yes, but she cries when she kills! Then the scene comes along when Oskar says "then you never get any birthday presents?" and Eli is freshly washed and her hair is clean and curly and she was soooo cute in the close-up at the moment she replies "nej." The first time I watched this film I was confused for a while about who was the "bad" guy here. How can anyone so small, cute and helpless (looking) be evil? After a few viewings, (I must be getting close to 100 now) I saw that they weren't seperate light and dark, but each of them were "light" characters with the "dark"ness forced upon them by the world around them. What do you say?

"What are then good and evil? Are they a single thing with which we with rage testify our impotence, and the passion of attaining the infinite even by the most senseless means? Or are they instead two different things? Yes... let them be a single thing... because if not, what shall become of me on Judgment Day!"
-Count of Lautreamont, The Chants of Maldoror

I agree, they are essentially 'light' characters upon which the outside world imposed darkness. But there is a little bit of innate darkness in both of them, in Eli with his decision to live no matter what the cost to others, and in Oskar in the part of him that wishes not merely to be delivered from bullying, but to brutally take revenge.
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Fan Art”