Forty years ago today

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Siggdalos

Forty years ago today

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:17 pm

This month and the following one marks 40 years since the events of LTROI (the novel). To commemorate, I'll be posting a pencil drawing for each chapter of the book on the day it takes place (according to my time zone), or at least I'll try to. Note that since I say chapters and not days, some days will have up to three drawings, while in other cases there'll be a hiatus of almost a week between posts (which is good for me since I've finished less than half the drawings at the time of writing this).
The title is inspired by GK's similar threads from 2013 and 2014, but I actually got the idea for this project earlier this year before I had come across either of those threads.
Feel free to join in with art, writing, or other contributions of your own if you'd like.

I'm skipping the prologue (The Location), so to start off, here's the drawing for the first chapter.

De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Siggdalos

Thursday 22 October

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 pm

I don't like this for two main reasons:
  1. A portrait of Eli is about as standard as it gets when it comes to LTROI fan art, and I want to try to depict slightly unexpected things when I can.
  2. It looks too similar to dongregg's avatar.
Nothing in the second chapter caught my fancy other than O&E's first meeting, though, so it is what it is.

cmfireflies

Re: Forty years ago today

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Well, I like this one Siggdalos. Mainly because of how done with the Halloween season Eli look. I bet Eli hates Halloween because it's filled with supervised children wandering around at night with their stupid plastic fangs and candy she can't eat. :lol:
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Well, I like this one Siggdalos. Mainly because of how done with the Halloween season Eli look. I bet Eli hates Halloween because it's filled with supervised children wandering around at night with their stupid plastic fangs and candy she can't eat. :lol:
My goal with the facial expression was to match Eli's overall emotional state at the start of the novel: lonely and indifferent. He might not know what Halloween is, at least not in 1981, since it only became popular in Sweden in the '90s. Of course, it's plausible or even likely that he's seen it being celebrated in other countries he's been in over the centuries. :think:
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Siggdalos

Friday 23 October

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm

LTROI, Friday 23 October wrote:Larry’s lined, hollowed-out face and a pair of enormous ears that stick straight out from his head make him look like a friendly but starving elephant.
In Jocke’s picture it is his large eyebrows that meet in the middle that have been emphasised and transformed into a rose bush and a bird, perhaps a nightingale.
Because of his style, Morgan has been given features of the young Elvis. Big sideburns and a ‘Hunka-hunka-burnin-looooove, baby’ expression. The head is perched on a small body holding a guitar, in Elvis pose. Morgan is more pleased with this picture than he wants to admit.
Lacke mostly looks worried. Here the eyes have been enlarged and given an intensified expression of suffering. He has a cigarette in his mouth and its smoke has gathered into a rain cloud above his head.
Virginia is the only one who appears in full body. In an evening gown, shining like a star in her sparkling sequins, posed with outstretched arms surrounded by a flock of pigs gazing at her in bewilderment.
Larry and Lacke turned out good, I think. The others, not particularly.

Siggdalos

Saturday 24 October

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:36 pm

Siggdalos

Wednesday 28 October

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Siggdalos

Thursday 29 October

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:48 pm

The following was one of two scenes that inspired me to start this project in the first place.

Siggdalos

Friday 30 October

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:56 pm

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Oh my! That's good to keep me sleepless.

Return to “Fan Art”