Hands

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Siggdalos

Hands

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:16 pm

A little side project where I represent different JAL stories using simple drawings of a scene or element from that story with a focus (as the title suggests) on the characters' hands.

My initial hope was that I'd be able to make drawings representing all of John's stories, including all of his short stories. However, I want each one to depict a scene or element that I consider to be iconic and relevant to the plot and should be recognizable to anyone who's familiar with the story, and most of them don't have anything I could use that would fit in this context. I have ideas for a couple of others (including the Places trilogy), so I may return to this thread and post more at some point.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

gkmoberg1

Re: Hands

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:22 am

These are really impressive. I see the inspiration for the ones that match up with the books of JAL's that I have read.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Well done, Sag!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:00 pm

dongregg wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 pm
Well done, Sag!
Sag? :think: Not the nickname I would've picked if it was up to me...
Thanks, though. And to GK. :)

Design-wise, I'm probably happiest with the one for Hanteringen av odöda. I like the dissonance between the image and the title. On the other hand, I could've come up with a less boring way to depict the title itself.
For the Människohamn drawing, I think I included too much of Clovve/the GB man's face, thereby drawing focus away from his hand. Maybe I should've left out his eye. I also dislike how the title turned out; my intention was to make it look like something scribbled by a small child, but I think it ended up just looking like something from a generic horror movie poster instead. Making some of the letters lowercase or flipped the wrong way (e.g. "MÄNNiSKOHAMИ") might've helped convey the idea better.
Aside from that, I'm happy with all four of them, which is not something that usually happens when I make a series of connected drawings like this.

Also, there is another aspect to how I wrote the word Människohamn and I'm wondering if anyone is able to figure what it is. It's probably more obvious if you know the Swedish word for "the sea".
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Fan Art”