Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
andmker

Re: Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

Post by andmker » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 pm

dongregg wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:57 pm
You take on some big themes in this chapter, and you handle them discreetly.
Discreet is the key ... let the reader work out the rest lol.

I didn't want to linger on his transformation, just let it happen quickly so he wasn't worrying about it any more

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:08 am

Yup, very discreet.

But also the earlier material for the chapter was good to think about afterwards. What would any of us go do and look at if we knew there would be no more days out in the sunshine? What would any of us grab to eat and drink if we knew there would be no more days of such items in our diet? Especially on a bright sunny day as I had where I live. And then when I am reading some of the other threads and I find @metoo has provided us with a lovely lovely view of fettisdagsbullar.... mmmm. Right there, I know that what I want to do is try three or four of those and lie in the sunshine somewhere. Ha, sorry, Eli. <burp>

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 am

Time for our Interview With A Vampire Author segment...

One way to think of fan-fiction is that it's a long-form opinion piece. The author often has a statement they'd like to make. And along the way she or he might toss in potentially many opinions or ideas for us to consider. A case in point for this story is the stress on a vampire being uninvited from a premise/house/domicile/flat/hotel-room/pool-house and how that immediately effects our favorite eliform vampire. @andmker, I'm curious where you came up with that, or where you read of that, and how you decided to make it such a key part of the story? I like how you first introduce the notion of it in the tickling scene. And then you have Albin use it as his key weapon to disarm Eli during their meeting. ... Key to this, too, is that Albin is aware of this vampire weakness. My goodness, had he been wrong on that Eli would have rolled her eyes and the game would have been over before he could have better aimed his pistol. I'm then curious whether this is this a general knowledge item in your fan-fic world or did Albin think of it on his own?

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:46 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:08 am
Yup, very discreet.

But also the earlier material for the chapter was good to think about afterwards. What would any of us go do and look at if we knew there would be no more days out in the sunshine? What would any of us grab to eat and drink if we knew there would be no more days of such items in our diet? Especially on a bright sunny day as I had where I live. And then when I am reading some of the other threads and I find @metoo has provided us with a lovely lovely view of fettisdagsbullar.... mmmm. Right there, I know that what I want to do is try three or four of those and lie in the sunshine somewhere. Ha, sorry, Eli. <burp>
Yeah, it was a good moral question. What would you do with one "day" left? I figured that since he was still Oskar all he would want to do would be to eat sweets, listen to some music and not wear his hat :D

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:02 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 am
Time for our Interview With A Vampire Author segment...

One way to think of fan-fiction is that it's a long-form opinion piece. The author often has a statement they'd like to make. And along the way she or he might toss in potentially many opinions or ideas for us to consider. A case in point for this story is the stress on a vampire being uninvited from a premise/house/domicile/flat/hotel-room/pool-house and how that immediately effects our favorite eliform vampire. @andmker, I'm curious where you came up with that, or where you read of that, and how you decided to make it such a key part of the story? I like how you first introduce the notion of it in the tickling scene. And then you have Albin use it as his key weapon to disarm Eli during their meeting. ... Key to this, too, is that Albin is aware of this vampire weakness. My goodness, had he been wrong on that Eli would have rolled her eyes and the game would have been over before he could have better aimed his pistol. I'm then curious whether this is this a general knowledge item in your fan-fic world or did Albin think of it on his own?
I thought that Eli (and Eliforms) being able to enter someone's home (etc) uninvited even for a short time (as he/she does) poses a problem. I thought that suggested that Eli could knock on anyone's door and grab them from the other side - or run into someone's home - quickly feed and run out before any adverse effects. I wanted to fix this "loophole" to suggest that YES - she can come in uninvited (as seen in the movie etc) but the moment she does so it "disables" her. Can't really move, can't really speak, and definitely can't feed. She is like a fish out of water. In my description she couldn't even speak to Oscar - just muster the energy to tap a message out to him. This was just my own personal take and development on existing material in LTROI - within seconds of her entering Oscar's place she just stands there and I wanted to take that a bit deeper.

I suggested early on (in the tickling scene) between her and Oskar that she can be uninvited, that her invitation can be revoked so the "idea" when Albin does it doesn't come out of the blood. But also it was just Oscar playing with her lol.

Albin is aware of this weakness and plans to exploit it as Eli indirectly tells him. Back when Eli is with Robbie, she narrates in great detail what it is like to be a vampire (the good stuff but mostly the bad stuff to try and put Albin off wanting to come like her). I imagine that Eli would have gone to great lengths to describe the bad stuff, having to kill to survive, the limitation on diet, the loneliness, and of course how difficult it is to function as you would be limited to what places you can enter and when (accidentally reveling the uninvite weakness that he would later employ). Albin being obsessed with Eli would have undoubtedly read over the notes she dictated to Robbie many times and had years to find a way to get what he wanted.

It's not general knowledge as such in my FF, just a weakness of an Eliform that is part of her biology as much as needing to feed is :) To Eli its "just the way it is" and for me it was a nice way of developing the plot and closing what I saw as a potential loophole.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm

I like how you've taken this a resolution to this quirk of eliform vamirism. My take has always been that once an invitation had been accepted, then you've invited the good as well as the bad across the threshold.

Another topic, and this one is still in development as your chapters appear, is the transformation. The novel gives us a lot on this as Virginia undergoes the change, alone, in her flat. From what you have posted, so far, I suspect you are going with an easier process for Oskar (Oscar :D ). He certainly benefits from Eli being with him, but I am curious of your explanation, at some point (the moment might not be the best, depending on your chapter roll-out) on whether you are sticking with the novel or are presenting a different progression.

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:36 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm
I like how you've taken this a resolution to this quirk of eliform vamirism. My take has always been that once an invitation had been accepted, then you've invited the good as well as the bad across the threshold.

Another topic, and this one is still in development as your chapters appear, is the transformation. The novel gives us a lot on this as Virginia undergoes the change, alone, in her flat. From what you have posted, so far, I suspect you are going with an easier process for Oskar (Oscar :D ). He certainly benefits from Eli being with him, but I am curious of your explanation, at some point (the moment might not be the best, depending on your chapter roll-out) on whether you are sticking with the novel or are presenting a different progression.
That's what's great about the Eliverse 😁 it can be interuped in a few different ways lol. I don't feel that I've changed the universe too much, just bending it a bit. I know what you mean with the invitation remaining but I was also thinking about Eliforms needing a separate invite for different entrances. What happens if someone moves flats and someone new comes in? Is the invite for the premises or for the person 🤔 For my FF when Albin dies the need for an invite dies with him.

Yeah I fixed the Oscar - Oskar delemia by "call me Oz" haha. But I doubt I'll stick with that lol. I'm reading up on Virginia's transformation. My personal idea is that the transformation can be different for each person. She was frightened and didn't understand what was happening to her. Oskar knew what was happening and after becoming man (cough) just let it happen as he was content. Plus I though poor Oskar had been through enough recently lol. Because I haven't read any LTROI FFs (on my list to do when back up and running), my story is coming from book, movie and me as I'm hoping I'm giving something a bit different from others but still close to the Eliverse.

Your comment "burp, sorry Eli" got me wondering if Eliforms burp .... or pass gas haha. After all they must swallow alot of air drinking blood fast. I'll have to address that lol.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm
andmker wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:36 pm
That's what's great about the Eliverse 😁 it can be interuped in a few different ways lol. I don't feel that I've changed the universe too much, just bending it a bit. I know what you mean with the invitation remaining but I was also thinking about Eliforms needing a separate invite for different entrances. What happens if someone moves flats and someone new comes in? Is the invite for the premises or for the person 🤔 For my FF when Albin dies the need for an invite dies with him.
All FF will of course be based on the writer's personal interpretation of the story, and we all have different inroads to it. We also need a starting point for our FF, some kind of "what if". You choose "what if the invitation can be undone", and went from there. It is contradicted by neither the novel nor the film, so it remains within the set of all possible Eliverses.

I personally feel like gkmoberg1, though, that an invitation cannot be undone - not easily, at least. My rational explanation to defend this opinion is that the vampire represents misfortune, the evil that one needs to keep out of one's life. Like other evils that may destruct one's life, such as gambling, drinking, drugs, one should be careful with vampires because inviting them is easy but getting rid of them again may prove very hard.

Regarding the problem you've observed with the invitation rule, i.e. that a vampire might not be very restricted by it if he/she/it acted quickly, I think it might be less of of a loophole than you suggest. My impression from especially the film is that the time required for feeding is long compared to the time it takes for the bleeding to become life threatening. Albeit shot from a few different angles, the bleeding scene is continuous, but there is a discontinuity in the feeding scene between the first shots and the final one when Eli sits straddled on Jocke's lifeless body. This discontinuity suggests that some time had elapsed, that the entire process was longer than we actually see. To conclude, I think the gain from entering uninvited would always be less than the loss and therefore would not be a viable option.

You mention that a vampire might circumvent the invitation rule by snatching a victim out of his or her home without actually going inside. At first this seemed like an option (for the vampire) but after some consideration I think it might not be. The vampire still wold need to enter, even if only with his hand and part of his arm, and the bleeding would be triggered.

This leads me to the next issue. I think most of us have assumed that Eli would have stopped bleeding if he had left Oskar's apartment. But what if that isn't true? Neither the novel nor the film have anything to say about this, although it does say that vampires wouldn't walk into danger unknowingly. We learn (through Virginia's experience) that they can feel the danger, the need to be invited. But what if once the bleeding has started it cannot be stopped without an active intervention from the homeowner? I think I like this idea, on the grounds of reciprocity. Neither the homeowner nor the vampire can make his/her actions undone by him/herself. Anyway, if this is true then Eli really put his life into Oskar's hands when he entered uninvited...
Last edited by metoo on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 23 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 am

andmker wrote:
Because I haven't read any LTROI FFs (on my list to do when back up and running), my story is coming from book, movie and me as I'm hoping I'm giving something a bit different from others but still close to the Eliverse.
I believe the FF section is fully operational for reading - at least I had been able to read it for a while before I asked for and got upload access as well.
It's just adding stuff that still is restricted, as I understand it because it still needs a bit of polishing.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am

andmker wrote:
[...] I was also thinking about Eliforms needing a separate invite for different entrances. What happens if someone moves flats and someone new comes in? Is the invite for the premises or for the person 🤔 For my FF when Albin dies the need for an invite dies with him.
I didn't reply to this earlier, so here is my opinion now.

I think an invitation is for a particular entrance into a specific home. Furthermore, a home is associated with a specific individual (or group of people) rather than place.
Therefore, when a person moves, his/her home follows him/her, but new premises will have new entrances so a vampire would need new invitations.

Consequently, a new tenant would bring with him/her a new home, so again new invitations would be needed even though the entrances would be the same.

When someone dies, the home would disappear - at least if the person was the single inhabitant. But things might complicate when a home is occupied by several people. Is the invitation personal to the giver, or does it rather relate to the home as such? I think the latter. The vampire would still be allowed to enter the home of a dead person, if that home is still kept alive by the other inhabitants.

However, things might complicate further. Consider the home of a family. A vampire is invited there by one of the adults. Then time passes, the adults grow old and passes away, and finally we find one of the former children living there alone at a high age. Would it still be the same home? Maybe. It's all magic, after all. Perhaps the sameness of a home only depends on the inhabitant's feelings about it. Who else would have the right to decide?

Return to “Fan Fiction”