Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
andmker

Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

Post by andmker » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Hello everyone :)

Please find enclosed the first chapter of my first EVER fan-fiction. I intend to write three parts staggered covering the first year after "the swimming pool events," the next few years and then finally jump them about ten years ahead.

Feedback is welcome and I will upload it chapter at a time as I write it. The title is working and seemed like a logical choice but open to different suggestions.

*************************************Chapter One******************************************

We are best to start in Copenhagen, the capital of Demark and a country that had recently been voted as the happiest in the world. More specifically we start at a top floor flat in an unremarkable building on an unremarkable drive in a small village surrounded by fields. Village or hamlet – Oscar could never remember the difference between them. It was a place that made Blackeberg back in Sweden look like New York in its magnificence. A place that could be found just ten miles east from the eventfully exciting aforementioned capital, yet a lot of native Danes were unaware of. After all there was nothing here to demand their attention or to lure people through those fields. Eighteen almost identical homes, mostly flats - two or three stories in height, and a few more traditional detached dwellings. Oscar had counted them all his first day here and noted both the differences and similarities between Danish and Swedish architecture. Most buildings looked the same with pressed gray concrete and white bricks around the window frames. He noted one home had been painted a pale shade of blue, maybe to standout from his neighbours...or maybe just because he felt cold.

“At least there is a shop,” he reassured himself that first day noting the complete lack of anything else.

The reality that both he and Eli were in a foreign country was hard to comprehend; weeks ago the notion of such would have seemed like a dream – or a nightmare. Things had happened, so much so that he had no time to process everything and was still in the mammoth task of doing so. Leaving Sweden – his country and not just his hometown was absolutely necessary. After all at best he was a “missing” person and at worst possibly a suspect in the bloodbath at the swimming pool. His photograph would be in every single newspaper throughout the country. Oscar had spent enough years reading those newspapers, reading about crimes and murders – reading about those who get caught and those who do. The golden rule for the latter seemed to be that you don’t hang around; you can’t hide so you should run.

Denmark seemed a reasonably smart choice. Danish and Swedish are very similar in vocabulary just with some differences with pronunciation. One of Oscar’s favourite television programs when he was younger was broadcast in Danish with subtitles for those who needed it. Then there was the travel – it was easy to get here the way they needed to get here. A few big bags and a truck that would contain Eli during the day. Changing trains a number a times was needed but this could be done without having to leave a station and travelling far on foot – providing you were willing to take a slightly less direct route.

Eli had done her part – she got them the flat. An advertisement in the newsagent’s window when they arrived in Copenhagen station. She spotted the ad, he did not – almost as if she knew it would be there. Oscar knew that was not possible, just his head overflowing because of recent events. After that, all it took was a phone call by Eli to the landlady to secure renting.

“You are sure that you don’t want to see it first?” the owner enquired strangely.
“Not at all, no need. It is exactly what we require” she had replied in her most adult voice.

Oscar had smiled at watching her on the phone. Even when she was concentrating, even when she was being serious – she was still beautiful.

He looked at the piece of paper in his hand detailing what would be their new home.

Top floor with laminate throughout. Very clean with good windows. One bedroom but good space and storage. Rent is eleven-hundred per month. A few pieces of furniture left by previous tenant.

Using his fingers, Oscar worked out that was about fifteen-hundred in his own money. That seemed reasonable to him. At the same time, he wondered if money would become an issue. Exactly how much did Eli have? He doubted that he could find a job to support them, maybe something similar to what he had back in Blackeberg? Surely businesses here would need someone to distribute flyers. That would bring in some money, maybe enough to pay half of the rent each month. He glanced at Eli and made eye contact with her – those bluest of eyes bright even in this light but both pupil and iris narrowed slightly. At that point he wondered once again how she amassed such income – the old guy robbing his victims as well as taking their blood was the most pleasing answer. Yet he doubted the old guy could have been killing frequently enough (and that all he selected had full wallets) to account for it. There was another more disturbing answer that Oscar did not allow himself to entertain at this time. He knew what the old guy was – what he used to be and what he liked. He knew there were others like that man who – Oscar shook his head violently to stop is mind exploring this path. For all he knew maybe Eli would be a surprise guest at rich people’s parties. People who knew what she was and wanted to impress their friends by having her perform tricks. Like a magician but a vampire magician, she could see in the dark, move really fast, climb up the walls – yes that was a more pleasant thought. Nothing sinister in people wanting to hang around with her just for that.

Oscar suddenly felt very sick and dizzy. He thought about his mother, he thought about her going door to door looking for him. Putting up posters with his face on every tree, wall and corner. She would wonder if one of his customers that he would normally deliver leaflets too had abducted him or was in some way responsible. He tried not to imagine what she was feeling and what she would do in despair. Most likely she would keep phoning his dad, shouting at him and demanding to know where her Oscar was. When the police get involved she would likely try and blame his dad – somehow.

Eli was looking directly into him, still continuing her conversation on the phone but actually giving him more attention, almost as if she could sense his sudden change. Just her looking at him reassured Oscar that he had done the right thing. She reached out and softly squeezed his hand – yes, they had done the right thing – she was all that mattered to him.
Getting the flat was easy given Eli’s apparent experience in doing so. She even arranged to “post” the first month’s rent to the landlord and have the landlord leave the keys to the flat in the bushes outside for them.

“We will be arriving very late. We would not want to keep you up.”

The first night in the flat was the first chance that Oscar had to gather his thoughts.
The night was deadly silent with the view from his new front room window showing totally nothing in the darkness...it was strange to be somewhere so quiet. In the distance an alarm was sounding sharply – maybe an unseen car alarm. A bit closer the merry cries of a drunk perhaps trying to find his way home through the fields. That was not the point, as whatever noise present on the other side of the glass was like a different world. His head was numb, his thoughts were both focused and absent. Oscar was still coming to terms with what had happened in the last few days.

They had tried to kill him. His classmates and Johnny’s older friend had tried to drown him in the swimming pool. He remembered his head being held underwater for two minutes...three minutes, it did not matter. Oscar’s memory was a bit damp at exactly what had happened at that point. He remembered everything leading up to that moment. Firstly going to his weight-training class, having a shower and then heading into the pool to practice treading water. Then the deal that he had been offered at knife-point. They kill him, or if he can hold his breath for so long they would let him live. That was where his memory got strange.

At the point of blacking out, he felt that he was floating. Not in the water but up into the air. He thought he had died. After all he could just about make-out the shape of a hand dropping below him. There was no longer anyone with a grip on his head. If he was still in the water then how would that have been possible? He was suspended in motion, floating for a few seconds before someone, or something pulled him out. That first breath he took when being pulled out of the water was like the first breath of his life. Pins and needles covered every inch of his body while his chest felt heavy from the inside. Then briefly he saw a pair of eyes looking into him with love. The most beautiful pair of eyes one could imagine.
He must have died as he was being carried away. Someone was carrying him away effortlessly from the scene and to somewhere else. His memory still fragmentised from the lack of oxygen, Oscar remembered seeing his classmates dead and in pieces with almost as much blood as water around the pool. It was of course Eli who had saved him and her who had ripped his tormenters to pieces. Oscar laughed a silent laugh inside his head – they must have thought a vengeful Angel had descended on them. He could hear Tommy sat sobbing on the steps as he was carried out. At least he was alright; at least he had stayed out the way. No more piggy from now on.

Back in his flat he carefully touched his own reflection in the glass of the window and smiled at what he saw. Oscar had changed his physical appearance – both something he wanted to do but also on the advice of Eli in case he was recognised somehow by someone. He had cut his hair shorter than short and then coloured it – tried to dye it but somewhat unsuccessfully. Somehow it had gone an angry shade of red – his fault he felt for not reading the instructions. Eli had been laughing at it since she first saw it but in a playful way and wanted to keep touching it.

“Is it, is it a wig?” she reputably asked.

Personally while the result was unintended Oscar had quickly grown to like it. He felt that he looked like a cool punk rocker and he could not wait until it grew a bit so he could get some gel in it. With that slightly more contented thought he turned about and sat on an old green leather sofa.

“Wonder where I can get a TV?” he asked himself as Eli was out to explore the area...whatever that meant.
Last edited by andmker on Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteMork

Re: Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

Post by PeteMork » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:09 am

Very well done! Welcome to the club.
You've linked your beginning to our beloved tale quite well, elaborating on the carnage at the pool as well as their escape just enough to make it your own.
I particularly like this line, because it fits nicely with my own thoughts on Oskar's feelings;
Oscar had smiled at watching her on the phone. Even when she was concentrating, even when she was being serious – she was still beautiful.
You put in just enough detail to make everything realistic without bogging us down in detail, for example the differences in architecture, exchange rates, and language between Sweden and Denmark.
Oskar's sudden remorse at leaving his poor mother behind is a nice touch, and his thoughts on where Eli got her money are a bit darker than my own, but well within the realm of possibility.
I'll be interested to see how you work out the landlord-tenant relationship over the long term. We have all handled that differently, depending on the twists and turns of the story itself.
I also liked the whole hair dye disaster. Eli's response, and Oskar's response to it, emphasizes how their relationship is founded on love and mutual respect.
Again, nicely done! Looking forward to the next installment.

P.S. I also liked the connection between the beginning of LTROI (Oskar touching his window) with Oskar touching the window in their new apartment at the beginning of their new life together. :wub:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

andmker

Post by andmker » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Thanks gkmoberg1. So am I - not sure exactly what I'll do and how to do it, hence why I thought it was a good idea to post chapter by chapter, I'm sure you will all keep me on track :) I want to make it as true to the book/movie as possible but my writing skills are no where close to John Lindqvist lol.

Thanks for the feedback PeteMork :) I'm glad you liked the first chapter, I'm going to try and keep that sort of pace, tone and level of detail throughout. I tried to answer my own questions about what happens after LTROI, hence the swimming pool, Oscar thinking about his mother and so forth. I think that he had been pretty distant from his mother for a long time but still wanted to include it and will likely bring it up again.

I like using descriptive detail but I know its a pain when that's all you get! Hoping to keep a good balance - trying to keep things subtitle and intelligent. I'm glad you picked up on Oscar touching his reflection in his new home! A gentle nod to the opening on LTROI :) I know the subject of "Eli's money" has raised some questions, I tried to hint at darker origins as the book itself if very dark. I'm not sure how "dark" I can go as I noticed in the rules here it says about keeping things suitable. I suppose that's a good thing, means I can walk the line but not plunge the story too deep.

At the same time the hair dye disaster and such to add a bit of humour and to help explore their relationship. This sort of aspect pretty much writes itself, now that they are both living together fulltime.

I'm just finishing off chapter 2 - I'll upload tomorrow, hoping I can keep up the standard...

andmker

Post by andmker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm

*************************************Chapter Two******************************************

It had been a frantic and frosty first week and perhaps that was best. Oscar had used the first few days making the flat more suitable and safe for Eli. He purchased some music and movie magazines at the shop, spent most of an afternoon carefully choosing and cutting out pictures. There were three windows in total - one in the bedroom, double size in the sitting room and one in the bathroom. He wanted to keep some of the bedroom window uncovered if possible – so he could see outside. The bathroom window was not really a problem; it was a small rectangle made of thickly frosted glass and was high up on the wall. Eli was not tall enough to come face to face with the sun, even Oscar had to stand on top of the bathtub underneath to reach the windowsill. Instead of covering it, he set-out a small selection of his toys on the sill to block what little (if any) sunlight would penetrate through it. A classic Dodge Seneca 1963 metal car, a small plastic robot of Robbie from “Lost in space” and front in centre he placed his Rubix Cube with a smile. It was still in its solved state from when Eli lack tackled it. He ensured the double front window was thick with posters so they could both enjoy each other’s company in the room. The one disappointment about the flat was the kitchen was small and open plan with the sitting room – Oscar felt it looked too open, he was used to being able to shut doors.

On Wednesday they received a wealth of deliveries – it was almost like Christmas for Oscar watching things arrive through the front door. They had decided that the green leather sofa had a few years of life left in it and was perfectly fit for them both. The cooker worked perfectly after a very deep clean but other than a small table and a broken bed, there was not much else. Eli wanted him to be comfortable; she wanted this to look and feel like a home for them both. She knew that Oscar needed the essentials such as warmth and food – he was capable of looking after himself to an extent, but he was less experience in life than Hakan and those before him.

Getting everything delivered on the same afternoon of the same day was a bit chaotic and confusing. All those deliverymen trying to navigate between each other up and down the flights of tightly wound and poorly lit stairs. At the same time it was sensible to do it that way. If anyone was watching them, if anyone had taken an interest in who had recently moved in – then all they would see would be half a dozen men going up and down from the flat. Any of them carrying goods could be the new occupant of the flat as far as anyone was concerned. If Oscar or Eli were seen leaving the flat after this point, then they would presume that they were one of the man’s kids. Their flat was the only one on the top floor, the ground and first floor flats contained two flats each, one on each side with the stairs in the middle. Eli and Oscars flat was alone and instead of a second property there was a door leading out to the flat roof. Exactly why was a minor-mystery but the door was heavily padlocked, obviously for safety and security. Oscar watched each man bringing something into the flat by turn and examined each item as they did. This had all been organised by Eli, again over the phone and by using classified advisements in the newspaper. When all deliveries had been made, Oscar was impressive with what he – what they both now had. Most impressive to him was a hi-fi system with radio and record player – all he needed now was some records to play.

“Anything else Rusty?” asked the shopkeeper.
It took him a few moments to realise that the short, fat and nearly toothless man behind the counter was speaking to him. Rusty? My hair is red...not orange, Oscar thought to himself. He had been in the shop a few times a day all this week, yet it had taken the man this long to think of such a bad nickname for him.
“No, just the sweets – and its Oscar” he replied.
The man smiled revelling his nastily blackened gums and he gave over the change.
“Just so you know, I sell other kinds of magazines...any kind you want, not just music” he said quietly. Oscar simply looked at him then walked out.

Rather than return directly to the flat - a ten minute walk, he took the opportunity to explore the area around him while there was still daylight and while he knew Eli would still be safely wrapped up in the bathtub. Oscar noted the lack of people around considering the time of day. The few who were both seemed uninterested in him and all looked pretty old, all definitely over the age of forty with no signs of anyone his own age. A strange area but he supposed it was cheap and people who stayed here would commute into the capital. Looking around at the flat and empty fields he guessed that maybe once upon a time this would have been an area intended for a lot of new builds and renovation – maybe the start of a new town – he wondered why that had not happened. After nearly an hour of exploring an open and boring area he decided to return.

“Hey” said a voice as he entered through the front door.
It was Eli, she was stood near the door waiting for him to return. She stood with a wide smile unable to hide her delight at Oscar’s return.
“Hi” he replied happily moving in to give her a tight hug.
She was wearing a red t-shirt that she had managed to put on back to front and seemed satisfied with only that.
“Sorry, I wanted to get back before you got up” he told her as he released her from the hug.
“It’s alright” she replied softly as she stroked his cheek with the back of her hand.
Oscar had known from back in Blackeberg that she did not often return hugs – she was worried about squeezing him to hard. He knew that her stroking his cheek was her way of returning the affection and he was more than happy with that. He never meant to hug her; just could not help himself when he saw her bright and smiling face waiting for him to come home.

“You’re up a bit early, how was your...bath?” he asked unsure whether or not to refer to her resting place as a bed or not. He knew that she as of yet had not fully relaxed nor been able to fully sleep in the new tub. She had not talked about it; Oscar hoped it was just her adjusting to their new place.
“It was fine, what sweets did you get?” she asked as they both walked deeper into their flat.
“Err, a few Milkyways and a Mars Bar...oh and some jelly sweets.”
“Awesome” she replied excitedly with the way she said the word not quite matching her intended result.

The two remained in conversation for some hours after his arrival back-home. Oscar told her what the man in the shop had said, what he had found (or not found) when he looked around the area.
“This place is weird” he told her.
“Is it? I haven’t noticed. Do like it here?”
“As long as I’m with you, I will like it anywhere” Oscar replied.
He felt himself blush, what he had just said to Eli sounded less cheesy in his head. However he saw Eli take a breath, as if she was relieved at what she had just heard.

That night Oscar had tried to grill a pizza for his dinner; it had worked but not as successfully as he had hoped. His dad used to be expert at doing it; he knew how to wrap the pizza in foil and when to turn it over to ensure both sides were perfectly cooked. Oscar had slightly burnt the topside and slightly underdone the bottomside but it was still acceptable in his eyes for his first attempt.
Their first week together in Denmark was coming to an end and Oscar was relieved that nothing bad had happened. He was lying on the sofa with Eli watching television – it was late and he was too tied to focus on what program was on. At first when Eli climbed over the top of the sofa to join him he had not noticed. It was only when his back felt cold and he could feel her breath on the back of his head did he fully register that she had joined him. She held him carefully with her head turned upwards towards the calling and not at the back of his neck. As the room darkened around them he felt very comfortable and very safe in her embrace. He allowed his thoughts to wander back to Sweden and to Blackeberg, he wondered if Tommy was back at school yet. He wondered if they had the funnel for Johnny and his idiot friends yet. Whatever was left of them at least – he was tempted to try and find a newspaper from Sweden to read about the gory details. At that he smiled a wicked smile and somehow managed to instinctively squeal like a pig. just ever so slightly but enough to make Eli jump just a tiny bit. It would take him a while to get out that habit. Oscar started to feel himself drift off into the land of sleep, as he did one final conscious thought entered his head.

“The landlady will want to meet us eventually. What do we do?” he asked.
“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of it”
“But what is she comes here?”
“Oscar, I’ll take care of it. Don’t worry.”

As Oscar started to feel himself drift off to sleep with Eli stroking the small of his back, he did not have the energy to question exactly what she meant – but he was sure whatever it was, she would.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 pm

andmker, it's wonderful to have a new writer among us. Especially one who writes so well. Your story so far is a soothing and thoughtful continuation of the Eli saga. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:14 am

As you promised, you are indeed keeping the pace and the detail steady and well balanced. You've also sprinkled even more references to the original novel throughout.
I like the way you have them looking out for one other, each in their own way. Oskar, by protecting her from the sun and Eli by protecting Oskar from homesickness by providing him with all the comforts of home, plus new things like the hi-fi system (What?! Not stereo? :D )
I don't know if you intended it but this line is just sooo Oskar, symbolically at the least :
Oscar felt it looked too open, he was used to being able to shut doors.
I agree with Oskar; I have faith that Eli (and of course the author) has already worked out the solution to the landlady vs. no adult in the home, problem.
I'm also becoming interested in the mystery (weirdness) of the village itself and am enjoying the halting efforts of both of them to become a real family.
Keep up the good work.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

andmker

Post by andmker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm

dongregg wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 pm
andmker, it's wonderful to have a new writer among us. Especially one who writes so well. Your story so far is a soothing and thoughtful continuation of the Eli saga. :wub:
Many thanks that's very kind :) It's my first fan fiction, its something very special to a lot of people so I want to do Eli and the saga justice. I just wish I had found this forum years ago...

andmker

Post by andmker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:36 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:14 am
As you promised, you are indeed keeping the pace and the detail steady and well balanced. You've also sprinkled even more references to the original novel throughout.
I like the way you have them looking out for one other, each in their own way. Oskar, by protecting her from the sun and Eli by protecting Oskar from homesickness by providing him with all the comforts of home, plus new things like the hi-fi system (What?! Not stereo? :D )
I don't know if you intended it but this line is just sooo Oskar, symbolically at the least :
Oscar felt it looked too open, he was used to being able to shut doors.
I agree with Oskar; I have faith that Eli (and of course the author) has already worked out the solution to the landlady vs. no adult in the home, problem.
I'm also becoming interested in the mystery (weirdness) of the village itself and am enjoying the halting efforts of both of them to become a real family.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I want to keep including a few references to the original so it links back and feels a bit more like a "sequel." Yeah together they look out for each other and pull on each others strengths.

I might have to Google the difference between a Hi-fi and a Stereo and update it :D

Yeah my reference to "Oscar being able to close doors" was intentional. I loved it both in the book and a few times in the movies that he would shut his bedroom door, and leave his mother continuing to talk on the other side. It was a good metaphor for his character I thought :)

I have a "rough" idea how to solve the landlady/tenant issue by using Eli, I'm not sure how it will work and will built it up to see if it fits their characters and traits. Where they are living is a very strange place (and a real place in Denmark lol), the place is "wrong" and for reasons I will disclose later Oscar notices more than Eli.

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement, it makes it easier to keep writing (as I mentioned its my first fan fiction). I suspect I might have to ask a few things along the way to see if you all feel it fits the LTROI model.... for example do you all think Eli would know how to cook Christmas dinner?

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 pm

andmker wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:36 pm
I suspect I might have to ask a few things along the way to see if you all feel it fits the LTROI model.... for example do you all think Eli would know how to cook Christmas dinner?
Well, after all he lived for eleven years with his parents and older siblings, so he would have at least an idea about it. It would be somewhat dated, though...

Here's a link to an episode of the Swedish TV show Historieätarna (History Eaters) that specifically deals with Christmas traditions through history.
The link gets you right to 1750, i.e. only a few years before Eli was born: https://youtu.be/OofuhlN6qMM?t=938

Now, what would you think Oskar's reaction would be if he was served korngrynsgröt (barley porridge) for Christmas dinner - and nothing else?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Fan Fiction”