Community Prompt Sharing and Adapting

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
PeteMork

Re: Community Prompt Sharing and Adapting

Post by PeteMork » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 am

Hmm. All these clues laying about, and no way to assemble them satisfactorily yet. :think:

And the hijab is even more intriguing. Along with the glasses... hmmm again...
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:24 am

Halima's impeccable dad is intriguing. Edge of my seat. You sure know how to keep the suspense building.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:36 am

Apologies for the slow pace. It's either a case of 'good things take a long time' or 'looks like he's napping in the corner, somebody wake him'

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed May 08, 2019 4:51 am

Napping in the corner is helping to keep the suspense going! And daydreaming is a good place for stories to grow.

We'll continue twisting in the wind until you post again.

You know, Halima continues to intrigue me. She's so sharp-eyed, like Professor Grigor. Like Sherlock Holmes. Nothing gets past her.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 am

Atlanta fan Lila is making rumblings about a third vignette of Eli in Paris. When I get it I'll share it with you two via e-mail, since she is one of those rare types who is a fan but not a WTI member. :think:

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:41 am

Bonjour! Continuing right where we left of. Yup, as if it didn’t take me two months to drop off this next bit. Let’s say I was detained. Held up somewhere! Right. Let’s go with that. Shelob had me. Yeh, that’s the ticket. It wasn’t fun. A very sticky situation. But then I escaped. And the first I did upon reaching home was this:

The man took a step forward towards Mr Ávila and stopped. The girl remained seated behind him.

Only when she looked up did it snap to Mr Ávila’s mind that this was Halima. And this, then, would be her father.

“Tehar Serhane,” said the man, taking Mr Ávila’s hand in both of this.

“Fernando Ávila,” he replied.

“You speak English, I understand from my daughter. Yet...”

“Catalonia. Yes, I see you suspected as such. I was raised there, but - ”

¡Bé!" he interrupted. “¡Comencem de nou!! ...” and the two men continued from there in rapid Catalan, with drifts into Spanish where Tehar’s vocabulary failed him.

[Note from a staff member at the Moroccan Consulate in Saint-Denis: Disculpi! Err: Excuse us. We’re going to translate all this back to English for you. GK means well, but his Catalan is horrid. So too is his Spanish. Frankly several of us are on leave from duty while we recover.]

[Note from a second staffer: We did, though, look into what all this was about. Apparently this is from a book. We were not aware of it. Yet there is a Spanish translation! Thankfully. Please be advised, as a result some of us have called the authorities in Vallingby as we are alarmed about the health of the teenager named Tommy. At the end of this book his state is most concerning. Please let us know how he is getting on.]

[Note from another staffer: We have more thoughts. And worries. Indeed. I will be honest: I’ve been sleeping with the lights on – please just keep that between me and you. I’ve put garlic in the window boxes, but I admit I’m not sure that is going to help. According to the book: not one bit. I find this very troubling. Yet, we’ll let you continue now with this, the (translated) performance, already in progress.]

“… taking over my father’s business, my brothers and I continued the trading he had set up along the Spanish Mediterranean. Tangier remains our home, understand. Barcelona has been key for us for years.”

“This was when?” asked Mr. Ávila.

“About, well, almost twenty years ago. I then moved with my wife to Paris, as this where we were finding partners to work with.”

He was about to continue, but the polite yet persistent tugging on the back of his elbow returned him to the moment.

“Ah, yes. Sir Ávila, you have already met my daughter Halima.” The tugging from behind stopped and she stepped gently beside him. “She is our pride. Truly, a reflection of her mother.”

“And these are my two wards,” said Ávila, “Oskar and Eli.”

“So much we have heard about them at our home. It is good to meet.”

“I agree. I was delighted to meet your daughter.”

“She has told she wants to be your guide. I needed to see you for myself before- . You understand.”

“Absolutely. I would prefer it no other way. I am glad you came.”

“You cannot be careful enough. The car park brings all types.”

“I can understand.”

“She is almost to the age where-”

She tugged again, politely, yet enough to get his attention.

“Father, if I may ask. I would like very much for you to come along. Please?”

Mr. Ávila gave a smile and soon then too did her father.

“Well, let’s get our tickets,” said Serhane.

Both men reached for their wallets.

“No. Dad. I already bought the tickets. Let’s just go.”

“When did you do this?”

“This afternoon. I bought tickets.”

“Halima!”

“Please father. You are letting me do this as part of my birthday. Thank you so much. So I got us tickets.”

“You have a very impressive daughter,” noted Ávila.

“Like her mother!”

“So, let’s just go,” she prodded.

Eli and Oskar were all eyes having watched this play out. Eli admired how their not-quite-yet-made-friend was balancing the formality she was using in talking with her father against her interest in moving things along. Enough of the men standing around talking!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 am

Great! I love the way Halima tugs her father's elbow to move things along!

Well worth the wait for this episode. :D

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:41 am

[Note from a staff member at the Moroccan Consulate in Saint-Denis: Disculpi! Err: Excuse us. We’re going to translate all this back to English for you. GK means well, but his Catalan is horrid. So too is his Spanish. Frankly several of us are on leave from duty while we recover.]
This degree of honesty from such an esteemed author almost moves me to tears. [sniff] Ah, the humility. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 pm

And Halima is rapidly becoming a real tour de force. :o

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Yeh seems that way. We'll see how it all goes. Most often plans don't go quite as expected. Halima has been dying to have a shot at making friends of these two newcomers but can it all come together as she has been scheming?

Return to “Fan Fiction”