Let the Long Night End (Complete)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: Let the Long Night End

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:20 pm

SpartanAltego wrote:...Part III is estimated for a January 6th - 7th completion date. In which a fateful encounter occurs, questions are posed, and more light is shed on what led Oskar and Eli to flee Sweden entirely.

To be continued in: "Part III: Strangers In The Night"
January 6 is my Birthday. Looking forward to Part III. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 am

dongregg wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:20 pm
January 6 is my Birthday. Looking forward to Part III. :)
I'll definitely make an effort to keep to the deadline with that information in mind. Also, I'm flattered that you'd consider Part III decent birthday material. And maybe a little proud of myself. 8-)

But at the risk of getting a big head, I've got a few questions for my readers. I figure any major missteps would have been voiced by now - and clearly you all enjoy the story as presented thus far to some extent - but I was curious if there was any advice or notes made while reading. Things that seemed off, things that made you curious, grammatical errors (I'm doing my best to break a bad habit of inconsistent tenses), or even story beats that have you conflicted or intrigued - speculate and question at will! I love detailed feedback, especially from talented writers and thinkers such as yourselves. And more than that, it improves my ability to provide the best quality of content possible.

You all can blame metoo for my request; I got spoiled by his feedback, corrections, and input regarding developments with Oskar in Part I that birthed several elements (such as Mr. Avila's relevance) that in my opinion made for a far stronger chapter. I'd love to keep that going as I write Part III, IV, and beyond.

Consider it my eleventh hour Christmas request. ;)
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:27 am

Hi Spartan.Hope you had a good Chrissy.I'm no writer by any stretch of the imagination but I'm a passionate reader and viewer of LTROI.I really do think that you're going great and have no issues at all.Rest assured that if anyone on the forum has any issues or suggestions or whatever it will always be put forward with respect and kindness.I've lost count of how many mistakes I've made (mixing up the book and movie,getting names wrong,the list goes on.. :lol: ) but have always been corrected in the nicest of ways.Metoo is a hard taskmaster but he has taught me so much (he has such a depth of knowledge about the story and Sweden) his advice is always gratefully received.As is the advice of our compatriots in the recent hook-up.All (except me) are accomplished writers and are full of wonderful ideas and facets of the story that I hadn't even thought of (as you have done too).Well I might not have any writing talent but I have loads of enthusiasm and passion so if anything rankles I'll tell you.(in a nice way.. :lol: )..Have a great 2018 and please keep up the good work.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 am

I had a great Christmas, matter of fact. Hope yours was the same. :D

Here's a teaser for Part III. Very short, but I intend this chapter in particular to be a continuous experience and showing off any more would run contrary to that. Rest assured, it's an exciting one.

Let the Long Night End
Part III
Strangers in the Night

Strangers in the night,
Exchanging glances
Wondering in the night;
What were the chances?

“Jesus looked around at them with anger and sorrow at their hardness of heart. Then He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out, and it was restored.” – Mark 3:5

1985, January 3rd

In older times, when civilization’s war with the savage heartlands of nature were not yet won, hunting was the axis point around which life and death rotated. Men would scour the land, reaping when they could not sow enough to provide for their families, and would return home to share the life they had taken with the life they hoped to preserve. When you did not hunt, you were the hunter, and thus always in some small measure never entirely unguarded. Life was a flash of flame sparking off the edge of flintstone; tiny, bright, startling, and beautiful. Fleeting.

As the centuries passed, hunting grew to accommodate new definitions. To hunt was to kill for sport and thrill, to test wills against nature and imagine oneself its master. A betrayal of the baser human nature lurking buried under clothes, lights, and time – the need for stimulation. Puzzles to be put together. Problem-solving: human life revolved around the hunt for the puzzle pieces needed to make one whole.

Maslow put it best: physiological, safety, love and belonging, esteem, and self-actualization. Hunt for yourself. Hunt for safety. Hunt for your family. Hunt for fulfillment. Hunt for completion. Stalk your problem through the underbrush, take aim, pull the trigger, put your solution through its brain.

Most people only ever hunted for one problem at a time, solving them sequentially throughout their lives.

When the sun set, Levi would go on a hunt of his own. And with one solution, each of his problems, his needs, would be met with an answer.

All humans need to sate basic needs. The needs of the body. The needs of security. The needs of love. The needs of the mind. The needs of the soul.

Needs are problems. Hunt your problems. Stalk your problems through the underbrush. Take aim. Pull the trigger.

Tonight.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:48 am

Went back on my words; here's another snippet of Part III. I'm unsure if I'll make the deadline for next week since this chapter in particular is being uncooperative - Oskar and Levi are contradicting my expectations of them - so consider this my preemptive consolation prize. Just in case. ;)

Experimenting a little with this chapter, one example being the insertion of character name-stamps to more easily establish perspective transitions, and another of course being Oskar's never-to-be-mailed letter to his mother (a habit of his mentioned in Part I). Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction.

- - - - - - -

LEVI
1985, January 2nd

Levi’s eyes gently fluttered open to greet the first rays of morning shining through his open window. Cold air drafted in and wafted over his sweaty body, tattered rags of bed sheet and blanket sticking to his seething skin. He swallowed, rolled over so that he faced the wall, and let the hot tears slip down his cheeks.

Again. Always again.

The same dream; yet not. A memory, wrapped in a dream. He was whittling wood with his father, working to coax the shape of a butterfly out of the blank canvas of the block. The wood was resistant, but Levi’s hands were strong and the gentle encouragement of Papa helped him when his confidence in his work faltered. Butterflies were the symbol of transformation – from banal to beautiful.

‘Anything can become beautiful,’ Papa always said. ‘As long as you’re willing to commit to seeing it reach its beauty. It takes time and patience above all else. Focus on what you want to see, and then make it a reality.’

And it was beautiful – the most beautiful carving Levi had ever made. It was so real, so life-like, he held it carefully for fear it would flutter its wings and fly from his hands. He felt so proud.

And then he woke up. In that moment between sleep and wakefulness, before the weight of the day came for him, he didn’t think about his father’s death.

‘Blessed are the forgetful, for they shall get the better even of their blunders.’ Levi wants to laugh at the thought.

Blessed, indeed, so long as they remain forgetful.

He shudders, and wipes his eyes. Rising from the ruins of his bed, the young man examines the steadily darkening nails of his fingers, grown three inches from the night before and beginning to curve into an arc. Running the barest edges of his fingers against the wall, he is unsurprised when they push easily through the wallpaper and plaster, leaving five puncture marks in the once pristine surface.

The sight ignites a hideous hatred in him, and he screams, slamming his fist into the plaster of his bedroom wall, his arm driven up to its elbow into his personal addition to his home’s Mise-en-scéne. Storming forth with heavy steps – heavier with each day – into his lightless bathroom, he finds the medicine cabinet above the sink and rips its door off, throwing the obstruction into the bathtub.

Claiming his prize, he holds the pair of scissors in his right hand while stretching out the fingers of his left.

A moment’s hesitation.

‘Focus on what you want to see, and then make it a reality.’

Gritting his teeth, Levi puts two black nails between the edges of the blades, and applies pressure. The thick keratin resists him, but he growls and forces the scissors to snap shut. The scissors fall to the floor with a clatter, his growl transformed into a scream as he clutches the bleeding stumps at the tip of his fingers, where the quick had been cut and dark blood seeped from the wounds.

Levi hisses between his teeth, and rises to let his fingers drip into the sink while he rummages through the cabinet once more, until he comes away with a roll of steel wool. Shoving the roll into his jaw without any care for discomfort, he retrieves the blood-slicked scissors and rests the edge of his palm over the sink, letting cold water run down between his fingers to drip pink-tinged down the drain.

This isn’t me. It doesn’t hurt. It can’t hurt because it’s not part of me. I’m not-

Not.

With trembling hands, Levi continues his work. Blood and onyx chips of nail circle the sink drain and slip into the abyss.

1985, January 2rd

OSKAR
Detroit
Letters to Mom, Entry # 102

Dear mom,

I’m sorry it’s been so long since my last letter. Guess I let time slip away from me a little. But that’s a good thing, isn’t it? Not worrying over every second of every day, counting the hours, every one. I think that’s made these waits easier for me. Almost two months have gone by – only three or four more to go. Five, if Eli decides to be lazy. You’d think there would be some kind of consistency to these hibernations, but they never quite line up. Sometimes it’s a month early, sometimes it’s a month late. Remember that first time, when Eli woke up for a little bit and then went right back to sleep for another six days after eating? That was the worst. I’m glad that hasn’t happened since.

But that’s the past. Here’s the now: spent New Year’s with Eli. I’ve gained a little of my weight back, started eating regularly again, getting out more. The treasury is getting low, though. Paying to get over here to America without getting caught took a lot of Eli’s wealth. We almost had to sell the egg. Pretty soon, I think I’ll need to try getting some kind of employment here. But that needs papers and history I don’t have. It’s a puzzle, but I’m getting better at solving puzzles. I almost beat the Rubik’s Cube this morning!

It’s still very hard sometimes to get out of bed, but I have to do it. For me, and for Eli. Every time Eli wakes up, I want him to see an even better Oskar than the one he knew before. And I want to see that better Oskar, too. Tried to give some money to a homeless guy, but he wouldn’t take it because he wasn’t homeless. At least, he said so. I guess that was wrong of me to just assume – maybe it was because he’s a little dark skinned. I shouldn’t be so quick to judge like that. But in my defense, he was running around like it was early fall! It was twenty-four below, I was freezing my rear off, and he’s just sitting slumped on this bench sleeping.

Something scared me, though. For a minute I thought he was dead. He was breathing lightly, and I was too confused by the whole situation to really notice it. And I thought…I started thinking to myself, ‘how fresh is his blood?’ Could I have time to bleed him a little, fill up my coffee mug with it and keep it warm somehow until Eli woke up? That’s the trick. It has to stay warm, or it spoils.

I was about to reach for my knife when he woke up. And I felt so…ashamed. Embarrassed, even. He looked at me like somehow, he knew what I was thinking. Or maybe I just thought he did. I don’t know.

I told him my name. Even said I lived in the area. Stupid. I’m not supposed to do that. It leaves a trail, leaves witnesses who could make our lives harder if we ever caught too much attention again. But it was like…I don’t know. I just wanted someone to know I existed. I’m so alone now.

Tomorrow night I’ll visit Eli again. Maybe sleep over. I can’t stand the emptiness of this place. Wish I could hear your voice again.

Love,
Oskar

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 am

Hi.Your story is really getting to me (in a good way).Poor Levi and poor little Oskar.Breaks my heart.When Eli meets Levi they'll have a lot in common to talk about.(Loneliness,despair and acceptance amongst other things)They might even be able to help each other by just talking about their problems especially now that Eli has met Oskar she knows that there is an escape (unconditional love)..Love the way the story is going.It's very well written and descriptive.I winced when Levi was cutting his nails and felt so sorry for him.Oskar's letter to his mum made me cry.He's such a sweet boy. :wub:

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 am
Hi.Your story is really getting to me (in a good way).Poor Levi and poor little Oskar.Breaks my heart.When Eli meets Levi they'll have a lot in common to talk about.(Loneliness,despair and acceptance amongst other things)They might even be able to help each other by just talking about their problems especially now that Eli has met Oskar she knows that there is an escape (unconditional love)..Love the way the story is going.It's very well written and descriptive.I winced when Levi was cutting his nails and felt so sorry for him.Oskar's letter to his mum made me cry.He's such a sweet boy. :wub:
Levi and Eli have some things in common, but they are more "hawks and doves" than a matched pair.

There are the broad parallels of isolation, of course. A life dominated by the consequences of a setting sun. Dual natures of predator and man. Strange physical anomalies such as Eli's extremely light body mass or Levi's reflective eyes. There's even a very strong chorus to be sung of how they are both frozen in time. Levi is horribly traumatized, and despite the event having happened years ago he is still demonstrably behaving as though it is fresh. Eli is tougher to tell, because I think he is one of those people who is simply hardy in a way not many can match, but there's certainly pain beneath there that even Oskar cannot hope to heal alone (perhaps even with help).

Healing from trauma is the process of your identity recovering from a catastrophic blow, adjusting for the injury, and pulling itself back together. If your identity cannot change, then you cannot heal. Oskar is free in many ways where Eli and Levi are not, simply because he is still human and can grow and change. Eli and Levi are, for all intents and purposes, stuck in a static pattern, playing the same beats ad infinitum. This will become clearer as the story progresses.

But there are also sharp differences: Eli, despite being condemned to prey and feed on others for over two centuries, is driven by a powerful desire to live; Levi wants desperately to die. Levi is almost utterly at the mercy of his lycanthropy and suffers for it daily, where Eli at least has something of an understanding of how his condition works and how to function despite it. Eli is immortal - provided he is not killed or commits suicide, he will live until the stars gutter out and die, forever twelve. Levi is halfway through his natural lifespan, even if he doesn't realize it yet. My own little joke at his expense - dog years.

And while birds of a feather may fly together, Eli and Levi are not birds. They are, forgive the cliche, stray cats and dogs. A tiger and a wolf. They may both know what it's like to starve, to be cold and hungry, and perhaps if you're lucky they will huddle for warmth together. But more likely, one will eat the other. Especially when you've got the most tempting scrap of spiritual food a stray can crave: companionship and acceptance.

I have to wonder, too, if like hawks living a solitary existence there is just something intrinsic to being a vampire/werewolf that leads you to actively avoid or want to target a competing predator. Hm.

Oskar's letters to his mother came as a result of my desire to include his relationship with his parents and other role model figures as an ongoing background element to his character arc. His letters to his mother, all of them tightly sealed in a folder with other precious items, are his way of feeling connected with her despite having neither seen nor heard her in years. Prayers on paper. In the same vein he also stays connected with Mr. Avila through his morning runs; keeping strong, not sitting around feeling sorry. When he cannot have Eli's company, he creates his own retinue of ghosts from his history to busy his thoughts and hear his words.

Went back and finally edited the bloated and soap-opera flavored summary of the tale on the fanfiction host site to something more succinct and fitting. Far more satisfied with this updated version.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks for bringing those things to my attention.Competing predators.Now that would be a rich "vein" to mine..Lol..Sorry couldn't help myself. :D

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Sadly, it looks like I won't be making it in time for dongregg's birthday. Part III is proving very troublesome, and I suspect much of it has to do with my choice of location. I'm considering just relocating the story to Sweden and changing the references therein, but that would introduce its own issues. Hm. Perhaps just a better choice of setting within the U.S.

Ah well. We'll see what happens.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:50 pm
Sadly, it looks like I won't be making it in time for dongregg's birthday. Part III is proving very troublesome, and I suspect much of it has to do with my choice of location. I'm considering just relocating the story to Sweden and changing the references therein, but that would introduce its own issues. Hm. Perhaps just a better choice of setting within the U.S.

Ah well. We'll see what happens.
Any place you're comfortable with. The reason I kept them in Sweden so long is because I wanted to know more. After two or three years on Wikipedia, Google Maps, and a lot of Swedish sites (including chatty blogs), I feel very comfortable there. Now they are on their way to Barcelona, with a short stay over in Paris, I'm at the start of another steep learning curve. Fortunately I know a little French and Spanish. Until the film, I knew no Swedish and next to nothing about Scandinavia.

I need to send you a spreadsheet of the film words -- Swedish and English subs, with the English subs redone to serve any fan wishing to learn the Swedish that we hear in the film. You can send me your e-mail address in a PM.

But as you will find in the many fan fictions, any place that you are comfortable with will work for the little vampires.

Edit P.S.: I am having a fine birthday! I'll take Part III as a special treat anytime you are ready to share it with us. :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Fan Fiction”