Let the Long Night End (Complete)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

Re: Let the Long Night End

Post by sauvin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 pm

dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:11 pm
It sure is a good thing I'm not on anyone's bad side here. I'd be kind of scared to earn the ire of anyone so knowledgeable about body disposal. >.>
"Oh pother." Winnie-the-Pooh said.

Wiktionary - To make a bustle or stir; to be fussy.

With so many different visions of Eli/Elias, somebody won't be happy with your vision. But your vision of Oskar, Eli, and Levi is powerful. "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes." 8-)
Grumpy old man who seems to be something of an iconoclast couldn't agree more. :lol:
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:39 pm

dongregg wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 pm
I also raised the idea of burials at sea, but they are too young to own a boat and to be licensed to operate it in the Öresund at night. Or are they? Do you know?
metoo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm
You don't need a license to "borrow" a small boat and sail or row it into sufficiently deep waters. The problem rather is that you would have to carry a dead body down the beach or the boardwalk to the boat, which has a rather high risk of detection...
dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:42 pm
That's not what I asked. Do you know?
You need a license to "captain" a boat over a certain size, 12m long and 4m wide. However, that is a rather large boat, so in practice Oskar and Eli wouldn't need such a license.
You don't need a license to own a boat of any size, as far as I know, and neither do you need to be of a certain age.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm

SpartanAltego wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:12 pm
Perhaps so. However, Eli's enhanced senses and the almost ready-made grave would tip the balance toward non-discovery. All it would take is an extra foot of dirt being dug (easy enough when you can change your hands and have beyond human strength), dump the body, kick the dirt back in. Probably a job of a few minutes at most, and apart from the actual process of digging or handling the body there is little risk of being discovered and also seen as a cause for alarm. A kid running around in a graveyard would be waved off as dumb ghost hunting shenanigans (at least, they were when I did it).
Well, that would plausibly work. They could even use spades, for the sake of efficiency. However, there still is the problem of bringing the corpse to the grave, so this method of covering up would be useful only in the rare circumstances of finding a victim near an open grave.
dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Fan fiction writers have put the kids all over the place. They do well (or not) in whatever hunting ground they're placed in. And sometimes they are on the run from one environment to the next.
Yes. So to make myself clear - all of what I have written in favour of cities was only for the sake of discussion. Do as you feel best for your story, SpartanAltego, because that would very likely be what's best for your story!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 pm

You need a license to "captain" a boat over a certain size, 12m long and 4m wide. However, that is a rather large boat, so in practice Oskar and Eli wouldn't need such a license.
You don't need a license to own a boat of any size, as far as I know, and neither do you need to be of a certain age.
Thanks metoo. :) You're in such a good position to help with real stuff about Sweden. You've fixed a lot of my blunders. :oops:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm

metoo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm
SpartanAltego wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:12 pm
Perhaps so. However, Eli's enhanced senses and the almost ready-made grave would tip the balance toward non-discovery. All it would take is an extra foot of dirt being dug (easy enough when you can change your hands and have beyond human strength), dump the body, kick the dirt back in. Probably a job of a few minutes at most, and apart from the actual process of digging or handling the body there is little risk of being discovered and also seen as a cause for alarm. A kid running around in a graveyard would be waved off as dumb ghost hunting shenanigans (at least, they were when I did it).
Well, that would plausibly work. They could even use spades, for the sake of efficiency. However, there still is the problem of bringing the corpse to the grave, so this method of covering up would be useful only in the rare circumstances of finding a victim near an open grave.
dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Fan fiction writers have put the kids all over the place. They do well (or not) in whatever hunting ground they're placed in. And sometimes they are on the run from one environment to the next.
Yes. So to make myself clear - all of what I have written in favour of cities was only for the sake of discussion. Do as you feel best for your story, SpartanAltego, because that would very likely be what's best for your story!
Yeah, I don't take it personally or anything. I asked for feedback and am glad to have received it - and given that LtLNE will not be my sole contribution to the story pool, it's good to learn these things and hear contrasting opinions so I can use them for future work. No reason why a sequel story or an unconnected one-shot or three-parter couldn't take place in a larger urban environment.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Part III was submitted for review a little while back, any mods who have time to check it out for approval?

This entry was pretty tough to nail down, and ultimately I ended up ending it about a third of the way through its original length because the remainder needs more time to cook in my brain. Much of it ended up being a little more subtextual than I expected, as there was originally going to be a scene from Levi's POV as his suicide is interrupted - but I realized that much like Oskar and Eli's first meeting, it's better if you don't know what one side of the encounter is thinking and have to go off Oskar's impressions alone. As the story goes on I might continue to focus on Oskar and Milton's POV versus Eli or Levi's (Eli in particular I think works best when he's seen from the outside at all times).

I'm satisfied with the results, but it's definitely going to be on my list of "chapters needing an update" down the line. Some Levi, Oskar, and Eli in this one which ought to please the Eli addicts out there who have been starved for much of the story. Hopefully Part IV (or Part III, chapter two heh. Haven't decided yet.) will be along much quicker than this entry.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 am

Great to hear it.I'll keep my eye out for your next exciting part. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:06 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm
Part III was submitted for review a little while back, any mods who have time to check it out for approval?
You need to pm both Wolfchild and acl about it.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 am

Looking forward to it! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Return to “Fan Fiction”