Oskar at 40

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Oskar at 40

Post by metoo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I actually think it's one of the best!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:19 pm

It can harm cute little kittens and make gurgling babies cry. Don't read it when your mood isn't the best; it's toxic.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:55 pm

metoo wrote:I actually think it's one of the best!
QFT. It's definitely one of the most realistic on the site. And as many have pointed out, it seems to be exactly what Matt Reeves has done with Thomas (Håkan) in 'Let Me In"
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Realistic and well told. Thanks.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:27 pm

This one always makes me cry. So maybe it is the best, but that makes it the worst!! :cry:
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Bumping this one up too, as a result of a conversation on the Skype call last night. Sauvin’s seminal short story about a darker path down which Oskar might go, stirred up a hornets’ nest on the forum and ushered in a series of less-sugar-coated versions of their lives moving forward. I realized at the same time that this one does not seem to be included in the FF index, so I created one here.

Oskar at 40
Link: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... oskar-40-0
Discussion Link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=964
Date: 02/06/10
Author: sauvin
Summary: THIS STORY IS NOT FOR GENERAL AUDIENCES. IT CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE AND IMPLIED IMPROPER SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH MINORS. Somebody in another topic/thread mentioned something about the 28th anniversary of Jocke's death, with more certainly to follow in the next two or three weeks as we mark Virginia's passing, Hakan's and Lacke's (with apologies to whomever I've missed at the moment). I commented this makes Oskar now 40 years old, while Eli remains 12.

That thought stuck with me, for some bizarre reason. We've treated the idea in a remote, abstract sort of way, but I got to wondering where Oskar might be when he's 40, assuming nothing unforeseen happens. At the moment, I'm a tad busy, but what's presented here is one possible future as frustrations and disappointments mounted over the decades. The treatment is cursory and very rudimentary, and further exploration in this thread will be very welcome, even if it's only to have forum members heatedly point out where I'm way out in left field, but be advised I'll have great difficulty seeing that Oskar shares Eli's near immutability.

Assuming the forum doesn't shishkebab me for what must appear as blatant iconoclasm, I'll expand on this exploration as time permits.

I also included a few more on the same subject, which were inspired by Sauvin’s masterpiece:
(I apologize if I have left anyone out)

Eli’s Proposal (Oskar at Eighteen)
Link: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... r-eighteen
Discussion Link: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=3117
Date: 03/15/11
Author: PeteMork
Summary: This new short bit of fiction ignores JAL’s epilogue, but only so I could explore further an alternative to Oskar being turned, or Sauvin’s “Oskar at 40” scenarios. The idea of a happy outcome if Eli DIDN’T turn Oskar, and Oskar had continued to grow older, has intrigued me. I also wanted to explore a work-around to the gender-neutral problems of the English language without resorting to newly-coined pronouns or possessive pronouns.

Oskar at 14
Link: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancontent/ff/oskar-14
Discussion Link: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=3168
Date: 03/22/11
Author: sauvin
Summary: This one is strictly off-the-cuff, shoot from the waist, don't plan one word in advance, just type in crap as fast as the fingers can go. The direction it took surprised me more than most of the other hare-brained things I've written. I'll comment on it more fully as time and energy permit.
What prompted it was PeteMork's recent Proposal, some passing reference in its discussion thread to my Oskar at 40 and some dimly remembered speculation into the question "At what point did **** begin?" (to which I responded, if I remember correctly, something substantially to the effect "There was no specific 'point' at which it 'started', it was a process of slow erosion". PeteMork's work is heartwarming and consistent with what I perceive to be his gentle and optimistic nature; his Eli and Oskar are much lighter-hearted beings than mine. It occurred to me that the inevitable crisis he outlines within his discussion thread might come to a head much sooner in the kids' lives; the distance between twelve and eighteen under dire emotional pressure can be vast. What surprised me so much here was the entirely unintended suggestion of how some forms of misogyny might source.

Oskar’s Proposal (Oskar at 25)
Link: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... l-oskar-25
Discussion Link: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=3284
Date: 04/04/11
Author: PeteMork
Summary: With a bit of trepidation, here’s my next installment in my series, “Oskar Grows Up.” I wanted to explore some of the reasons why I personally find it hard to imagine what a 'turned' Oskar would be like.

Owen at 40
Link/Discussion Link: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=4309
Date: 09/02/11
Author: EEA
Summary: This came from the Sauvin's idea from different outcomes for Thomas and Owen if they had not met Abby. I had been thinking about writing a little bit more to the story. I want to explore if there is a chance that Owen will decide to become infected, or to leave Abby.

Oskar at 13
Link: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancontent/ff/oskar-13
Link (Swedish): http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... 13-svenska
Link/Discussion Link: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=5668
Date: 05/20/12
Author: metoo
Summary: The fan fiction is set in early December 1981, when Oskar (according to the novel) is supposed to turn 13.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:20 am

Boy some good reading there.Oskar at 40 is just brilliant.It was done so well I found it hard to read.It's so hard to read un-happy endings.Especially as we all want our little heroes to be happy together forever.How he called Eli names and seemed to hate him tore my heart to peices.It was so sad but as an alternative ending it was done so well.Very believable.Thank goodness the other stories were there (all of them were fantastic) so I could read them after Oskar at 40 to relieve my trauma.Thanks for posting them. :D :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 am

ltroifanatic wrote:Boy some good reading there.Oskar at 40 is just brilliant.It was done so well I found it hard to read.It's so hard to read un-happy endings.Especially as we all want our little heroes to be happy together forever.How he called Eli names and seemed to hate him tore my heart to peices.It was so sad but as an alternative ending it was done so well.Very believable.Thank goodness the other stories were there (all of them were fantastic) so I could read them after Oskar at 40 to relieve my trauma.Thanks for posting them. :D :D
Measure your capacity for hatred. This is also the measure of your capacity for love.

Oskar's gotten to be a pretty rough customer, with wiry muscles and steely nerve, and he's definitely not somebody you want to run into in a dark alley because he has the will of somebody who still has something to lose. For all that he calls Eli things like "bitch" and "queen", he continues to live with her; he continues to live for her. He fully understands that his life could end without warning at any time, especially when he goes out to gather food, but he doesn't think about it because the one thought he cannot bear is that she might die before he does. She's eternal, you see, and the couple of centuries of life she'd had before they'd met are a promise to him that she'll still be around a couple centuries after he's gone.

Is he resentful towards her sometimes? Probably. Does he miss the life he'd once had, when he had a hot meal every night and a warm bed to tuck into every night? I should imagine so. Does he blame her for having taken him out of that life? Sometimes, maybe, when he's deep in his cups and has forgotten what that life was really like.

But she saved his life at least once - and once is enough - and now he has the self-assigned obligation to return the favour in like kind. He's gotten to be a rough customer with a nasty attitude, but some of that roughness comes from the certain knowledge that he's defending her against an entire world. He's probably never really felt big enough, strong enough, fast enough or smart enough for the job, and now he's forty. Well... now, he's more than 40. He's getting slower, maybe he's started forgetting things, maybe he's not as strong as he used to be, maybe he's had some injuries over the years that aren't helping him get around. How is he to provide and watch out for her when he starts doddering for real?

Make no mistake: if he'd honestly started hating her, it'd have been child's play to chuck her out the window on a hot, sunny summer afternoon, and it'd have been even easier just to hike out to the highway, stick out a thumb and vanish. If nothing else, Eli has certainly taught him how to fend for himself; it doesn't matter where he might go or what he might do, without her, life would be so much simpler in practical terms.

But he won't. He can't. She is, after all, still exactly the same girl he fell in love with so many years ago.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for the explanation Sauvin.It's not such a dark tale anymore.Oskar in fact is a hero?Fighting a fight he knows he can't win but never wavering.Terrified of what may become of Eli when he becomes too old and weak to defend and protect him.He will defend and protect him until the bitter end because ,no matter what he may tell himself, he still loves Eli with all his heart.I love this story.. :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Fan Fiction”