Oskar at 40

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

Re: Oskar at 40

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 am

gattoparde59 wrote:Oskar at 40?

I have thought about this, and I have actually started to write something. Assuming that Oskar is not turned into a vampire soon after the story ends, the most likely thing to happen would be for Eli to up and leave Oskar. This is not be because "its the right thing to do" or anything like that. The two have not been together for all that long in our story. Eli is as one person put it, a "nomad," a marginal person who has lived through things that no one can imagine. She is the loose cannon of the story, and I think on a whim really she would become depressed and simply walk out of Oskar's life. This would be hard for Oskar, but in the long run he would be better off for it as "Oskar at 40," makes very clear.

Oskar at 40 I would imagine as a reunion of the two for a short time. Eli would reemerge from the darkness once again and get together with an Oskar that has been leading a normal, happy life and is now a middle aged man.
I wish to stress yet one more time that my Oskar at 40 represents one reasonably plausible future Oskar, and I think I remember admitting more than once it was at least partially inspired by a need to rebel against the general trend of publishing cutesy poopsie mawkishly fawning fiction (complete with purple ice cream and pink sweaters) that I love reading even while I (bitter little gnome that I am) find them tonally inconsistent with the material from which they are based.

I also wish to stress yet one more time I'm amazed I was even able to write it at all (maybe I'd just drunk a particularly bitter cup of coffee...) It just does not sound like me at all.

Everybody, if stating my chains of reasoning have such a suppressive effect on discussion and exploration, I'm going to stop presenting them. Exploration is the very lifeblood of this forum and the fanfiction attached to it.

PeterMork, I say this to you specifically: there is absolutely nothing "inevitable" about the storyline I brought to the fanfiction base. It's plausible? Yes, and the argument I use in defending it, I realise in retrospect, does seem a bit intimidating. You are cautioned that not only am I nobody's idea of an authority on the human psyche, I am furthermore canalised not only by my own personal experiences, but also those of someone very dear to me whose own life has until very recent years been the most [deleted] grim thing I've ever personally witnessed.

In other words, I might be full of it. Your mileage may vary! - and your interpretation of the story and how it might unfurl from the flight from Blackeberg is by no means less interesting or less valid than mine.

Now... what other mean and dastardly thing can I do to the poor beleaguered kids...?

Edit: 5 Novembre 2011, replaced a "bad word" with [deleted] to comply with renewed restrictions on language.
Last edited by sauvin on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Angelalex242

Post by Angelalex242 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 am

And here I was just quoting Yoda. And I think Vader.

Now I'll quote Joker.

Why so serious? Put a SMILE on that face :D

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:23 am

Angelalex242 wrote:And here I was just quoting Yoda. And I think Vader.

Now I'll quote Joker.

Why so serious? Put a SMILE on that face :D
To you a man with a plan I look like?

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 am

sauvin wrote:Everybody, if stating my chains of reasoning have such a suppressive effect on discussion and exploration, I'm going to stop presenting them. Exploration is the very lifeblood of this forum and the fanfiction attached to it.
Are you kidding me? Your tales stimulate more consistently interesting discussion on this forum than most. Just ask anybody on this thread. :)
sauvin wrote:PeterMork, I say this to you specifically: there is absolutely nothing "inevitable" about the storyline I brought to the fanfiction base. It's plausible? Yes, and the argument I use in defending it, I realise in retrospect, does seem a bit intimidating. You are cautioned that not only am I nobody's idea of an authority on the human psyche, I am furthermore canalised not only by my own personal experiences, but also those of someone very dear to me whose own life has until very recent years been the most goddamn grim thing I've ever personally witnessed.

In other words, I might be full of it. Your mileage may vary! - and your interpretation of the story and how it might unfurl from the flight from Blackeberg is by no means less interesting or less valid than mine.
If anything, your take on these things clarifies for me what it is I'm trying to do in my own series. You are a breath of fresh air! Please, don't stop now! :twisted:
sauvin wrote:Now... what other mean and dastardly thing can I do to the poor beleaguered kids...?
Believe me, we can hardly wait!! :shock:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 am

What tickles me most about Sauvage's relentlessly grim takes on our litle darlings' future is that the damn things are STILL full of love and simple physical affection, albeit overlaid with realistic, even probable crud, tragedy and sexual grot. It makes the scenes of them just being together, holding each other, even more poignant [to me anyway].

I would be very interested to see M. Savant's version of an unremittingly happy future, I think it would probably be relatively free of cutesy-poopsie-mawkishly-fawningness, you know.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:41 am

DMt. wrote:What tickles me most about Sauvage's relentlessly grim take on our litle darlings' future is that the d%#n things are STILL full of love and simple physical affection, albeit overlaid with realistic, even probable crud, tragedy and sexual grot. It makes the scenes of them just being together, holding each other, even more poignant [to me anyway].

I would be very interested to see M. Savant's version of an unremittingly happy future, I think it would probably be relatively free of cutesy-poopsie-mawkishly-fawningness, you know.
Lemme see... I have some molasses and honey in the cupboards, and maybe some pink bubble gum hiding in some drawer...

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 am

And puppies, don't forget the puppies...I suppose a unicorn is out of the question?

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:37 pm

sauvin wrote:I wish to stress yet one more time that my Oskar at 40 represents one reasonably plausible future Oskar, and I think I remember admitting more than once it was at least partially inspired by a need to rebel against the general trend of publishing cutesy poopsie mawkishly fawning fiction (complete with purple ice cream and pink sweaters) that I love reading even while I (bitter little gnome that I am) find them tonally inconsistent with the material from which they are based.

I also wish to stress yet one more time I'm amazed I was even able to write it at all (maybe I'd just drunk a particularly bitter cup of coffee...) It just does not sound like me at all.
Whoa there Mr. Bitter-gnome-in-the-cornfield. :) I never said anything to contradict you. Yes, a scenario with Oskar as a bitter old drunk is entirely plausible.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

DMt. wrote:And puppies, don't forget the puppies...I suppose a unicorn is out of the question?
Nope, can't do puppies. Tape will eat them. :shock:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:18 pm

BACK TAPE NO TAPE BAD TAPE NO!!

Return to “Fan Fiction”