Set Me as a Seal Part 10

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Set Me as a Seal Part 10

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:32 am

Discussion area for Set Me as a Seal upon Your Heart Part 10

"Looms sounds about right," Professor Grigor says with a laugh. "It looks as though there is nothing for it but to stay the course and respond as things arise."

Things arise.

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... rt-part-10

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by dongregg on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Re: Set Me as a Seal Part 10

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 pm

You're good to go, sir! :)

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

dongregg wrote:[URL for the story goes here]
You don't have to wait for the story to be approved before adding a link to it, you know.

Here it is, anyway: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... rt-part-10
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:06 am

I think your idea that Eli would be so struck by seeing daylight all through "The Sound of Music," and actually have a nightmare as a result, is both original and very clever.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 am

PeteMork wrote:I think your idea that Eli would be so struck by seeing daylight all through "The Sound of Music," and actually have a nightmare as a result, is both original and very clever.
So many of us have written in fan fics or in our posts that giving up everseeing a sunrise or blue skiesis a big price to pay for becoming a vampire. In part 2, I wrote:
"Hey, I know!" Eli says brightly. "When I first made the hideout, I fell in love with this bit of forest. Will you go outside with me? And just sit? We can never watch a sunrise, but..."

They sit and hold each other, enchanted as the twilight sky brightens and the forest wakes up. Small animals rustle the foliage, and birds begin their predawn chorus. The wall of sound reaches a crescendo minutes before daybreak, when Oskar and Eli must go back in. Neither says a word. They fall into their deep sleep, hugging each other, their faces a picture of the sublime peace that all children deserve.
Then the opening scene of The Sound of Music slapped me in the face! And slapped dear little Eli even harder. :o
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 am

Yes it would.Makes me remember what I take for granted.Simple pleasures that would knock Eli's socks off.Love,loyalty,friendship,trust to name a few.Thanks again Don for a beautiful story. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 pm

On another thread, ltroifanatic asked a good question.
ltroifanatic wrote:Raises an interesting question. Would Eli still believe in God? If she does then she would assume that even when she dies she'll go to hell. Poor darling. She can't escape, even in death. :think:
The language that the characters use in Set Me as a Seal upon Your Heart is more about the residual effects of centuries of Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox domination of European societies than it is about current beliefs. We all use exclamations and turns of phrase that sound religious.

But do Mr. Ávila or Professor Grigore mean it literally when they utter, "Thank God?" Or does Eli really think about the choice of words when she says of her and Oskar, "We are demons from hell. No one can love us or even feel safe around us?"

If pressed for an answer, I think it would be hard for Eli to explain her religious concepts. They were indoctrinated into the child in a century when just about everyone in Sweden was a believer. While Sweden moved into an age of enlightenment, little Eli (or Elias, if you prefer) was living in huts, abandoned buildings, or earthen dens. At any rate, her residual beliefs would be simplistic, childlike.

And yet, she expressed that she is "cursed," which implies at least a supernatural sense of the world. Or an exposure to a worldview that includes sin and some kind of damnation.

So the narrator doesn't know the answer to your question. He's just running after the characters and writing down what they see and say.

And yet the narrator uses religious language and references to enrich the narrative -- starting with the title -- in the same way that he raids literature, movies, plays, and Roadrunner cartoons. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Conan Doyle, "Inspector Morse." Professor Grigore is a lot like "Doc Martin" in his bumbling courtship of Sassa. Denise's inner dialogue is patterned after lower class locutions from Agatha Christie. And the narrator confesses to stealing (Ahem. I mean "paying homage to") so many great fan fictions that are on our forum. And readers of "Set Me as a Seal" have contributed whole paragraphs, included verbatim, such as "holding sweaty little hands." Much of the two parts leading up to Christmas were jointly crafted by the narrator and a forum member.

Any way, it's the somewhat tragic story of young love, told (with a lot of help) the best way that I could. :wub:
Last edited by dongregg on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 am

And in my opinion who've done a hell of a job.Thanks for your thoughts on Eli and religion.It's a small thing I guess but it adds to my visualisation and understanding of her.I like the way the characters can be added to by the readers.Sassa is like my lovely old grandmother who would plaster us with kisses and affection.We could do no wrong in her eyes.Prof Grigore is the kind old man from down the road that would entrance us with his stories and wisdom.All wrapped up in old world charm and manners.We all wanted to be as smart as him and use big words just like he did.Mr Avila is like my stepfather.A man who had seen the worst of humanity (concentration camps,WW2 and displacement,among the long list) and still,by some miracle managed to come out the other side relatively unscathed.Although he did loss his religion along the way.Though I think he still kept a spiritual side.Maybe a sense of wonderment,just like Mr Avila.The children,with role-models like these are going to be more than OK. :wub: your story Donald.It's so bitter-sweet.Oh Ohh..Here come the tears..lol.. :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm

It begins to feel as though a Book 3 is likely, but it will take väldigt länge to even do justice to their week(?) in Paris visiting Mr. Ávila's old uncle as they travel toward Barcelona. And I have to learn so much about Spain and Barcelona before even the hint of a story arc emerges.

Alors, nous verrons!

Return to “Fan Fiction”