Temporary Visitors

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Temporary Visitors

Post by metoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 am

dongregg wrote:This sentence implied to me that they are loose-limbed and comfortable: "They walked at a brisk pace, their sports bags swinging in the shoulder straps, bumping at their hips."
Yes, they would be in their element in those empty streets. However, I also wanted to convey a sense of urgency - they were short in time, having to find a safe hideout before dawn. Hurriedly walking with a large-ish sport bag like that is rather cumbersome, as you might know.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 am

Yes, it comes more into focus as I reread the sentence. A sense of urgency.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:01 am

I hope it's a new beginning for them.What a terrible life Eli has lived so far,and now Oskar has gladly joined her.I hope they find someone that can "help" them because of a kind heart and not out of lust or whatever weird thing they're into..Maybe two of them will be able to make safer,better judgements about them.Future "helpers"might think twice about whatever evil things they have on their minds.Maybe Oskar being a boy might hold more sway with landlords?It's going to be a long hard road for them but their love for each other will hopefully pull them through..."When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew".(Shakespeare) ..."Set me as a seal upon your heart,as a seal upon your arm;for love is as strong as death,passion fierce as the grave"..(Solomon) aka Dongregg. :D :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am

You know what, metoo, I like this story very much. I mean, I like the story itself a lot, but I also like the way it's written. It's brief, coherent, linear and lean, and its economical wording lends impact.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks, sauvin!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 am

ltroifanatic wrote:I hope it's a new beginning for them.
Well, this story is set long after the events in 1981, so "new beginning" wouldn't be the word...
ltroifanatic wrote:I hope they find someone that can "help" them because of a kind heart and not out of lust or whatever weird thing they're into..Maybe two of them will be able to make safer,better judgements about them.Future "helpers"might think twice about whatever evil things they have on their minds.
I think O&E would stay away from helpers. Think of it: what kind of person would willingly help a pair of serial killers that attack innocent people on a weekly basis?
ltroifanatic wrote:Maybe Oskar being a boy might hold more sway with landlords?
I see no need for landlords, as is evident by my story. That said, why would being a boy make a difference?
ltroifanatic wrote:It's going to be a long hard road for them but their love for each other will hopefully pull them through..."When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew".(Shakespeare) ..."Set me as a seal upon your heart,as a seal upon your arm;for love is as strong as death,passion fierce as the grave"..(Solomon) aka Dongregg. :D :wub:
Although I agree with the idea of hardships and love, I find the quotes off the target. Both refer to romantic love, where sexual attraction is an important aspect. My view is that the love between Oskar and Eli is more akin to a very strong friendship than to romantic love.

Footnote: I looked up the quotes, and found that the first one seems not to be originated by Shakespeare.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 am

metoo wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:Maybe Oskar being a boy might hold more sway with landlords?
I see no need for landlords. That said, why would being a boy make a difference?
Also sprach Haakan. :lol:
metoo wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:It's going to be a long hard road for them but their love for each other will hopefully pull them through..."When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew".(Shakespeare) ..."Set me as a seal upon your heart,as a seal upon your arm;for love is as strong as death,passion fierce as the grave"..(Solomon) aka Dongregg. :D :wub:
Although I agree with the idea of hardships and love, I find the quotes off the target. Both refer to romantic love, where sexual attraction is an important aspect. My view is that the love between Oskar and Eli is more akin to a very strong friendship than to romantic love.
Oh, it's love, alright.

Is Swedish like English, having only one word for a small variety of kinds of love? My limited German seems to suggest it might be, and my not so limited French (yes, an unrelated language) agrees. My girlfriend, who speaks Spanish, says there are basically two ways to say "I love you", and one of them isn't something you'd tell your mother. The ancient Greeks were quite a bit more astute in this area, distinguishing between lusty love (eros), fraternal or sororal love (phila'o), an unconditionally selfless love (agape), and maybe two or three others whose names and fundamentss elude me at the moment. I'll agree that neither unturned Oskar (at 12) nor ageless Eli are being driven by their respective plumbings when they first met and absconded together, and that an Oskar who'd been turned at 12 would likely remain forever distanced from said plumbing, but another fanfic whose author and story title also elude me suggests the possibility of more than one kind of eroticism, a kind more in line with one of the hypothesised cornerstones of (recent) traditional vampire lore: mutual infantile oral fixation.

Just for giggles and tee-hees, though, if bringing LMI into fray could be tolerated, metoo's unnamed "temporary visitors" could just as easily have met in Albuquerque rather than in Blackeberg. I've just recently scanned through the LMI movie again looking for frames favourable to more experimentation with the image manipulation software I've been playing with, and was reminded that Owen had just! ducked under the windowsill after seeing that Virginia (may have) noticed that he'd been zooming in on an intimate moment (and an intimate body part) when he turned his attention to a strange girl of about his age walking barefoot through the snow. Love it or lump it, this casts a sexual dimension into their relationship that nothing in the remainder of the movie dispels, even if that dimension is never openly explored in the remainder of the movie. Furthermore, Abby is more openly affectionate, and more receptive to affection, than is movie Eli. In tandem with the unanswered question "does eliform infection kill adult libido", the unnamed "temporary visitors" don't necessarily pass the cold winter nights huddled around a fire playing chess or solving puzzles.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 am

sauvin wrote:Is Swedish like English, having only one word for a small variety of kinds of love? My limited German seems to suggest it might be, and my not so limited French (yes, an unrelated language) agrees.
Yes, Swedish is as impoverished as English, in this respect.
sauvin wrote:The ancient Greeks were quite a bit more astute in this area, distinguishing between lusty love (eros), fraternal or sororal love (phila'o), an unconditionally selfless love (agape), and maybe two or three others whose names and fundamentss elude me at the moment.
Maybe we, Swedish and English speakers, are handicapped by this. Since the only word we have covers all of these concepts, and one of the concepts - eros - dominates the understanding of our single term, we find it difficult to talk about the others. And because of that, perhaps, we neither acknowledge nor seek the other aspects of 'love' in our lives as much as we could and should.
sauvin wrote:I'll agree that neither unturned Oskar (at 12) nor ageless Eli are being driven by their respective plumbings when they first met and absconded together, and that an Oskar who'd been turned at 12 would likely remain forever distanced from said plumbing, but another fanfic whose author and story title also elude me suggests the possibility of more than one kind of eroticism, a kind more in line with one of the hypothesised cornerstones of (recent) traditional vampire lore: mutual infantile oral fixation.

Just for giggles and tee-hees, though, if bringing LMI into fray could be tolerated, metoo's unnamed "temporary visitors" could just as easily have met in Albuquerque rather than in Blackeberg. I've just recently scanned through the LMI movie again looking for frames favourable to more experimentation with the image manipulation software I've been playing with, and was reminded that Owen had just! ducked under the windowsill after seeing that Virginia (may have) noticed that he'd been zooming in on an intimate moment (and an intimate body part) when he turned his attention to a strange girl of about his age walking barefoot through the snow. Love it or lump it, this casts a sexual dimension into their relationship that nothing in the remainder of the movie dispels, even if that dimension is never openly explored in the remainder of the movie. Furthermore, Abby is more openly affectionate, and more receptive to affection, than is movie Eli. In tandem with the unanswered question "does eliform infection kill adult libido", the unnamed "temporary visitors" don't necessarily pass the cold winter nights huddled around a fire playing chess or solving puzzles.
Indeed, I envisage my temporary visitors spending considerable time caressing. We know today that caressing releases soothing hormones in the receiver, and I cant' se a reason why O&E wouldn't want to benefit from that. That said, I don't think such caressing need to have anything to do with sexuality.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

This is right how I picture their continuing lives. They move from shadow to shadow, city to city, staying away from any type of attention. That they might move in manner depicted here from the end of LTROI through all the years until they are accidentally spotted in LTODD is fitting. Their lives as 12 yr olds would likely include occasional larks and roughhousing. But for better part, they would be a cunning pair who live life apart from the rest of us and on their own terms.

As far as cuddling would go, I think they'd be on par with any typical pair or 12 yr old boys. Banging into each other, wrestling, racing up walls, various silly contests, whatever. Curling up tight when it's time for them to turn off for the day, sure.

I don't, btw, see this as how Abby and Owen would live. I don't see her as a creature that wants to live behind electrical panels in dusty warehouses or hide up in the raised crawl spaces of basements in inner cities. (Novel) Eli was from an earlier, rougher time. I see him less undone by poor conditions. While I do not have anything to back this up; I don't see (film) Abby as a creature ready to do the same.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:42 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:As far as cuddling would go, I think they'd be on par with any typical pair or 12 yr old boys. Banging into each other, wrestling, racing up walls, various silly contests, whatever. Curling up tight when it's time for them to turn off for the day, sure.
Well, they would do all of that, of course. However, the novel also includes laying together naked in each other's arms for lengthy times as well as playing bulleribock. The latter already involves lightly touching the other's back, and could evolve into doing that for it own sake, without the game aspect.

I think it would.

Return to “Fan Fiction”