Temporary Visitors

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
cmfireflies

Re: Temporary Visitors

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:59 am

this story is really sad. I hope that they can find better lodging than this. I'm sure Oskar and Eli would be great tenants for an absentee landlord. No complaints about maintenance and a steady rent payment every month.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:36 am

cmfireflies wrote:this story is really sad. I hope that they can find better lodging than this. I'm sure Oskar and Eli would be great tenants for an absentee landlord. No complaints about maintenance and a steady rent payment every month.
If it could be done though an agent or the owner without a face-to-face and without having a bank account. Hard to do if you're under-aged and only do business at night. In that light (so to speak), it makes sense that when Elias left the forest to live in towns he had to form a household with an adult helper.

One reason I love the story so much is that a 12-year-old orphan vampire would be at a disadvantage -- for a number of reasons.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 am

cmfireflies wrote:this story is really sad. I hope that they can find better lodging than this. I'm sure Oskar and Eli would be great tenants for an absentee landlord. No complaints about maintenance and a steady rent payment every month.
Sure. Once in a while they might find an uninhabited house, and maybe even have the luxury of running water. Cold, but still. However, I can't see them as a source of steady rent payment - the body count would urge them on before long. Furthermore, the novel suggests rather strongly that Eli wouldn't pay for things he could just take, and Oskar certainly wouldn't mind such a modus operandi.
Last edited by metoo on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:17 am

metoo wrote:
Sure. Once in a while they might find an uninhabited house, and maybe even have the luxury of running water. Cold, but still. However, I can't see them as a source of a steady rent payment - the body count would urge them on before long. Furthermore, the novel suggests rather strongly that Eli wouldn't pay for things he could just take, and Oskar certainly wouldn't mind such a modus operandi.
Additionally, Eli in the movie is frequently seen running around in the dead of a Swedish winter wearing clothes that wouldn't keep my girlfriend warm on a sunny early summer afternoon, and we're quite a ways further south of the Arctic Circle than is Stockholm. Assuming Oskar turned, I can't see either of the kids objecting to showering in "cold" water.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 am

sauvin wrote:Additionally, Eli in the movie is frequently seen running around in the dead of a Swedish winter wearing clothes that wouldn't keep my girlfriend warm on a sunny early summer afternoon, and we're quite a ways further south of the Arctic Circle than is Stockholm. Assuming Oskar turned, I can't see either of the kids objecting to showering in "cold" water.
Neither can I. What O&E might find perfectly adequate comfort would differ a lot from what normal people want and need.

Besides, the place in my story is actually not so bad. I can see them having occasionally to stay in the sewers as well.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Right, right. Look at the number of times Oskar observes that Eli either smell odd, dresses in smelly clothes, or looks disheveled. Simply put, appearances and cleanliness are not concerns to him. Heh, my parents likely thought same of me once upon a very long time ago. It's just not his mind. Oskar getting used to the same might take some un-training but he'd likely grow familiar with it soon enough.

As for a sewer system, it wouldn't be ideal but it'd be better than facing the sun's wrath. I doubt either would be pleased with hiding out in sewer pipes except as a temporary measure. They're kids, after all; kids with an infection.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Right, right. Look at the number of times Oskar observes that Eli either smell odd, dresses in smelly clothes, or looks disheveled. Simply put, appearances and cleanliness are not concerns to him. Heh, my parents likely thought same of me once upon a very long time ago. It's just not his mind. Oskar getting used to the same might take some un-training but he'd likely grow familiar with it soon enough.
As anyone who had spent a few days living outdoors knows, reduced hygiene sneaks up on you and you only sense it's effects when you have returned home and got cleaned up again. Tip: put your dirty clothes into the washing machine before going into the shower!

That said, I have the idea that O&E perhaps would keep a higher hygienic standard that Eli originally did, just to be more pleasant to be around. This idea is in a way corroborated by LtODD, where Oskar is described as having a "shorter hairstyle, more like the youth of today". If Oskar bothered to have his hair cut, he probably washed as well.
gkmoberg1 wrote:As for a sewer system, it wouldn't be ideal but it'd be better than facing the sun's wrath. I doubt either would be pleased with hiding out in sewer pipes except as a temporary measure. They're kids, after all; kids with an infection.
I agree, sewers would be the choice only if nothing else could be found before dawn.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:21 am

Poor little Eli and Oskar.Just can't catch a break.Even when they do find each other they have to live like animals.So sad. :cry: .I hate to admit it but I can't see them surviving for very long in the future.The forensics and surveillance will be too good unless they can adapt somehow.Perhaps changeing their killing techniques?.Looking presentable would be good as well. Disguises?.Where there's a will there's a way. I hope they can make it.Their love deserves to go one forever :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 am

ltroifanatic wrote:I hate to admit it but I can't see them surviving for very long in the future.The forensics and surveillance will be too good unless they can adapt somehow.
Sure. Realistically they wouldn't have a chance, not only killing on a weekly basis but also leaving rather specific tell-tale clues.

So, I think I will just close my eyes regarding this particular issue. After all, vampirism is even less credible...

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 am

Håkan doesn't have to be the last grownup they team up with. There are several fan fictions where they do, sometimes but not always with good outcomes.

LTODD finds them still doing okay in 2008, presumably on their own. "Love's Epitaph" for a lot longer (Eli, at least).

But I'm thinking that having an adult to work on their behalf would be a pretty important part of their survival. As 12-year-olds in an increasingly surveillance-oriented world, it's hard to see how they could last for long, but it's conceivable.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Fan Fiction”