Temporary Visitors

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Temporary Visitors

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 am

dongregg wrote:But I'm thinking that having an adult to work on their behalf would be a pretty important part of their survival.
I actually think the opposite - that not having and adult would be a pretty important part of their survival. Their youth is a disguise - people wouldn't associate serial murders with a pair of kids. An adult in their company would make that cover less efficient. Furthermore - what work would an adult do for them? I cannot see anything that actually must be done that they cannot do by themselves.

I also think they wouldn't want anybody else in their life. Stefan and Karin of LtODD were like that, and I think O&E would share that trait, with several others.
dongregg wrote:As 12-year-olds in an increasingly surveillance-oriented world, it's hard to see how they could last for long, but it's conceivable.
Yes, it's conceivable. I like to think it is, anyway.

But this remark leads to one of my pet ideas: that Oskar would be an avid reader of newspapers. In 1981 Oskar would have been sought after, and he would have known it since his face and name would have been on the first pages of all newspapers. I think that he would want to learn as much as possible about the police investigation, and newspapers would be his best (and only) means to this purpose. Once in that habit, I think Oskar would continue reading newspapers, and because of that he, and Eli with him, would stay informed about changes in society. Especially, they would learn about new technology, such as computers, the Internet, cell phones, ubiquitous surveillance cameras, etc, as it developed. It is therefore conceivable that they would know to look for and avoid dangers such as surveillance cameras.
Last edited by metoo on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am

metoo wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:I hate to admit it but I can't see them surviving for very long in the future.The forensics and surveillance will be too good unless they can adapt somehow.
Sure. Realistically they wouldn't have a chance, not only killing on a weekly basis but also leaving rather specific tell-tale clues.

So, I think I will just close my eyes regarding this particular issue. After all, vampirism is even less credible...
They would likely gravitate to places in the world where the use
of surveillance technology is not as prevalent. Some of those places could be warm and some could be cold.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:They would likely gravitate to places in the world where the use of surveillance technology is not as prevalent. Some of those places could be warm and some could be cold.
Perhaps, but I don't think they would need to avoid entire countries or cities on such grounds. They certainly would consider it when choosing their hideaways, and when looking for spots for "getting food", but otherwise not. Surveillance is always unevenly spread and blind areas prevail.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Fan Fiction”