Coming in from the Cold

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
gary13136

Re: Coming in from the Cold

Post by gary13136 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 am

PeteMork wrote:
foxfire wrote:This was an enjoyable story. It's good that you found a way for Oskar to spend eternity with Eli without turning him into a vampire. If they were both vampires, I think it would take away part of what makes their relationship special.
That was my thought. Their relationship has enough going against it without changing the basic dynamic between the two. (The preditor-prey dynamic? The powerful-powerless dynamic? The love-loneliness dynamic? The wimp-vampire dynamic? The worldly-innocent dynamic?) All potentially thrown off balance by Oskar being turned.

You really deserve an internet pat on the back for this story. :D
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 am

PeteMork wrote:
gary13136 wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:I enjoyed this story. Typical for kids like Eli and Oskar not to understand (or know how to deal with) the concept that people do get old and die, and their reaction seemed very natural. I wonder if Oskar will sneak a needle into the Professor? That was funny.

Maybe you'll have to write some more about their adventures in the U.K.
I hope that Eli will be very discriminating in her choice of victims in Britain. Else she could alter the succession to the throne. :o
Hmmm! Royal Blood. Is Royal Blood to Eli like Royal Jelly to a Queen Bee? Interesting idea. :twisted: Super Eli!! :shock:
I think Eli would like to have Prince Charles visit her at her new home for lunch. Literally speaking, of course. :lol:
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 am

DMt. wrote:As long as Dawson can keep the blood coming, the British subjects need have no cause for alarm...probably.

Thank God it doesn't have to be fresh, in the Morkiverse!
That's nothing! Am I correct is assuming that in your universe it doesn't even have to be human? :) (nice writing by the way.)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

foxfire

Post by foxfire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 am

PeteMork wrote:
foxfire wrote:This was an enjoyable story. It's good that you found a way for Oskar to spend eternity with Eli without turning him into a vampire. If they were both vampires, I think it would take away part of what makes their relationship special.
That was my thought. Their relationship has enough going against it without changing the basic dynamic between the two. (The preditor-prey dynamic? The powerful-powerless dynamic? The love-loneliness dynamic? The wimp-vampire dynamic? The worldly-innocent dynamic?) All potentially thrown off balance by Oskar being turned.
It would also seem to be wish-fulfillment for Oskar, since nobody would ever bully him and get away with it.
With Eli and Oskar living on their own, it's to their advantage to be different, since Eli can't go outside during the day but Oskar can. As it is, they complement one another.

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 pm

foxfire wrote:It would also seem to be wish-fulfillment for Oskar, since nobody would ever bully him and get away with it.
With Eli and Oskar living on their own, it's to their advantage to be different, since Eli can't go outside during the day but Oskar can. As it is, they complement one another.
i agree foxfire. Pete's solution for our beloved couple gives them the best chance for long term survival. Oskar's immortality without the price paid by a vampire should serve them well in many ways, especially since he is not bound by sunlight. they do indeed compliment one another nicely.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:55 pm

PeteMork wrote:
DMt. wrote:As long as Dawson can keep the blood coming, the British subjects need have no cause for alarm...probably.

Thank God it doesn't have to be fresh, in the Morkiverse!
That's nothing! Am I correct is assuming that in your universe it doesn't even have to be human? :) (nice writing by the way.)
Yes, I've taken the 'any blood in a pinch' option...

I'm very glad you like the live thread, Pete, it's some repayment for the pleasure you've given us all.

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi, PeteMork!
I’m very like this story. I’m very like your approach to writing about Oskar and Eli: “Frankly, an unhappy ending for them is almost unimaginable to me, as they represent the ideal of perfect, innocent love – something in itself worth preserving at all costs”. Because I was frightened to death by some authors here (won’t call names :lol: ) with bad ending. So I’m very much happy about happy end here. It’s so important for me, that in fact, even bad dream of prof. Dawson made me sad (don’t you think, by the way, that it is rather strange – to be sad about DREAM of NONEXISTENT character :mrgreen: ). Extremely wonderful characters of both Oskar and Eli – how they make mess, joke on each other and fight. All these looks very naturally as for children and double fun for THESE children.
Wish you to make another great stories.
(It would be fun, if You wrote manual about Eli's exploitation and maintenance) :lol: .
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Clubmeister wrote:Hi, PeteMork!
I’m very like this story. I’m very like your approach to writing about Oskar and Eli: “Frankly, an unhappy ending for them is almost unimaginable to me, as they represent the ideal of perfect, innocent love – something in itself worth preserving at all costs”. Because I was frightened to death by some authors here (won’t call names :lol: ) with bad ending. So I’m very much happy about happy end here. It’s so important for me, that in fact, even bad dream of prof. Dawson made me sad (don’t you think, by the way, that it is rather strange – to be sad about DREAM of NONEXISTENT character :mrgreen: ). Extremely wonderful characters of both Oskar and Eli – how they make mess, joke on each other and fight. All these looks very naturally as for children and double fun for THESE children.
(It would be fun, if You wrote manual about Eli's exploitation and maintenance) :lol: .
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. And if you like happy endings, and you haven't read it already, You may also like my even longer sequel to "Coming in from the Cold," "The Dawson Family," which you can find at:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... son-family

And, no, I don't find it the least bit strange to have sympathy for an imaginary character. I have sympathy for Dr. Dawson (as well as envy) just because he has to put up with their antics and clean up after them all the time. :D
I introduce other 'sympathetic' characters in "The Dawson Family" that you might also enjoy, Elaine and Hannah being only two of them. (There's also Jack and Henry, introduced in the second chapter ;) )
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Daniel Ether

Post by Daniel Ether » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 am

PeteMork wrote:
Clubmeister wrote:Hi, PeteMork!
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. And if you like happy endings, and you haven't read it already, You may also like my even longer sequel to "Coming in from the Cold," "The Dawson Family," which you can find at:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... son-family

And, no, I don't find it the least bit strange to have sympathy for an imaginary character. I have sympathy for Dr. Dawson (as well as envy) just because he has to put up with their antics and clean up after them all the time. :D
I introduce other 'sympathetic' characters in "The Dawson Family" that you might also enjoy, Elaine and Hannah being only two of them. (There's also Jack and Henry, introduced in the second chapter ;) )

so... i just finished reading "Coming in from the Cold"... AND WOW! I LOVE IT :D
I am sooo happy for them. The ending was awesome! :D And Dr. Dawsons dream was really incredibly sad. I read it in the bus, making my way to work, and nearly teared up :roll: (sentimental me)

I also think its not strange to have sympathy for imaginary characters. I alway think its like when you hear a nice story about a real person you dont know. The fact that you dont know the person makes it a little abstract but you still feel sympathy for the person because of the nice things she or he did. And for imaginary characters i think its the same. You can feel sympathy just for the idea of the person and all her/his likeable and lovable qualities. And so i think you can feel happy or sad for Eli and Oskar, as there pure ideas as persons. For me it nearly doesn't matter if Eli and Oskar are real or not. If Dr. Dawsons is real or not. Or if Vampires are real or not. I read about them and what happend to them, and if there are real or not, the sympathy i feel for them is as real as it can get.
so... now i am cheese :oops: but its really late right now ;)
But i have to say again that i really really enjoyed reading "Coming in from the Cold" and i cant wait starting with "The Dawson Family", Thank you Pete Mork!

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah I remember lurking here before I became a member. it was this one and once bitten I rear though before I decided to join the forum. It glued me to my computer for weeks, even at school :D
I haven't read it in more than two years and I still remember it, props for that!!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Return to “Fan Fiction”