Addition to Pool Scene / Fanfiction "Very Much Like a Kiss"

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
Marri Lightning

Re: Addition to Pool Scene / Fanfiction "Very Much Like a Ki

Post by Marri Lightning » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:08 am

Also Intrige, you may be disappointed, but in the stories I write, I use a lot of "angelic" personalities and even some angels. I don't like writing about people (especially girls) being so evil, and I definitely try to avoid it whenever possible unless the character I'm writing about is naturally evil already. Eli isn't, judging from her attitude in the movie.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Seems pretty good! Congrats!! :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Marri Lightning wrote:Also Intrige, you may be disappointed, but in the stories I write, I use a lot of "angelic" personalities and even some angels. I don't like writing about people (especially girls) being so evil, and I definitely try to avoid it whenever possible unless the character I'm writing about is naturally evil already. Eli isn't, judging from her attitude in the movie.
The Eli of my ongoing fan-fiction is Eli/Lina, where she is portrayed as capable of caring for Oskar and possibly regretting having to kill to live, although she may just be crying over her unfair life after she kills Jocke. I too read the novel after seeing the film (more than three years after) and so take the core of my fan fiction from the film. I feel free to play around more with the Oskar character, although I consider his "dark side" as a temporary fantasy escape from his isolation and loneliness plus being a victim of some pretty nasty bullies.

My main idea is along the lines of your "unless the character I'm writing about is naturally evil already." That lets me set up the central conflict of the kids being who they were before they were infected -- memories, feelings, and morals in place. Having to kill to live is conflict enough. My Eli doesn't accept her infection and objectifies it as an evil being inside of her that she is at war with, a fiction that she eventually sees through. That lets me treat the infection as a one-time event that changes every cell in her body to require blood to live. The potency of the infection lies only in being contagious, which doesn't require an evil demon within her.

Having read the book long after my fan fiction was in progress, the core story doesn't change; however, I freely import things from the book, usually in a playful spirit, such as:

“I can give Oskar a friendship ring, too?”
“Depends on how much you like him.”
“Then I have to think about it...just kidding!”

That I refer to Eli as "she" gets on some fans' nerves. Part 1 of the tale actually had Eli as "he," but guided by fan comments, I found that "she" worked better for those readers. And it works well for me because of how Lina played Eli, as a "vampire girl," as she called Eli in an interview. So I changed pronouns. Big deal. It didn't change the story. Anyway, I make it clear when the story takes me there that Eli was born male and still is, even though emasculated before she became infected.

"Seeing Eli in a dress, she notices her narrow hips and her large, strong hands. As pretty as Eli is, Denise realizes that she could pass as a boy..."

And

“I did? I looked beautiful? Prettier than Ingrid?”
“Prettier than anyone.”
“You looked beautiful too, Oskar. But Oskar, until tonight I hadn’t thought about something – We never talked to Mr. Ávilaabout my gender.”
“So?”
“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter to you, right? I mean, like you said?”
“It matters to me that you’re who I want to be with.”
“But you’re a boy, and Ingrid…”
Oskar stops Eli’s words by mashing his lips against hers, only the second time their lips have touched – not since Blackeberg, almost two years ago.
Eli thinks – Yep, men are easy.

So there you are. I'm just crazy in love with Eli/Lina, and that love is the engine that drives my writing.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

intrige

Post by intrige » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 am

I of course wouldn't be dissapointed in angelic non-human characters. Good characters are good characters, no matter what creatures they are! That's the beauty of writing.

To me Eli imbodies what humans are willing to do in orther to survive, no matter how brutal. We all have that side to us, and when pushed enough we will literly do anything. Eli is that, no matter how violent, no matter how cold he seemed sometimes (in the book) how how happy and sweet he was as well. Humans have different sides, and we bring them up whenever we need them. If nothing else, I think Oskar brought up a relaxed and more joyfull side of himself, and that seemed to be a rare thing.

Oskar I think parrarells that greatly, with his dark side with his bullying situation. Many might think he would have turned out to be a killer or a sospopath as an adult. But the reality is that many victims of horrible things often fantasize of revenge, and JAL I think brought that side a voice, at least for me. I didn't collect newspapers of murders. But if you're pushed far enough, especially in your own mental headspace your adaptable and easily impressionable brain will help you cope with such fantasies. It is only natural.

Even Håkan in the book, all though completly insanse and a phedophile at that, isn't completely and utterly evil. Nobody is evil not even those who kill, like Eli and Håkan. That's the beautiy of those characters to me. And to say that Eli is evil, or Eli is not, I think is a very narrow way to view the character, or the nature of our own humanity in distress. The grey zones in the characters are what makes them so interesting. Eli is a person, and even the most horrible persons are capable of having friends, relationships, laugh joke and show compassion.

However you see Eli, him, her they, I think the point is that it is up to you. I view Eli as gender neutral, and if he spoke to us I am sure he said he wouldn't care what people viewed him as, what we called him nor what he calls himself. And clothes are just clothes, no matter if it is a dress or a shirt. So why not then give us readers the oppertunity to use whatever fits us?

Anyway, it's been a while since I have written such posts on here, it's about time. :)
Last edited by intrige on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:28 am

Dongregg your interpretation of Eli sounds just like mine :) I refer to Eli as she every time as well. I fell in love with her upon seeing her performance and character in the movie.

I have even thought of another book, just based off of one line in this movie:

"See the egg there?"

Or as we know it

"Ser du ägget där?"

She says this so softly that it touches me. Even though she's literally just pointing out a golden puzzle egg XD

I created a new character based on that line, a girl called Asther, who is an angel disguised as a human girl. She's represeted by Lina, of course. Asther calls herself the "Protector", while others refer to her as the "Collector" (those who are afraid of her and those who are trying to capture her).

Asther's heart has been corrupted with pure love, pushing everything else out. She is seeking out a single human being, one whom she believes is worth preserving for eternity. As an angel, Asther never ages, and if she uses her power on a human being, she stops their aging too. Her power is that of the Malca Egg she carries with her; a magical egg that is a representation of an "extension" of her heart. She bargained this egg from a cycle of vile beings that have used it for centuries; in doing so, she ended the widespread use of the egg. Previously, the owner of the egg would only lose it if they absolutely willed so, or if they died. Before Asther, all the previous owners had expiration dates.

The Malca Egg can trap a human being, holding them in a state of constant sleep (until released from the egg). While trapped inside, the human doesn't age, and their dreams are completely controlled by the owner of the egg. The old beings used the egg as a means of punishing enemies and torturing victims by using their worst fears, and feeding off the energy from the terrors they struck into their victims.

Asther, who now owns the egg and will never lose it (because she doesn't age, will never give up the egg willingly, and is completely invincible to any kind of harm whatsoever), wants to use it for the opposite reason. She will find someone to hold inside the egg, and never release them, not ever. She lives forever, so her "victim" will sleep forever inside the egg.

She finds a human boy and falls in love with him because of how wonderful a person he is. When he spends time with her, he sometimes feels sleepy. This becomes more and more frequent. What he doesn't know is that she's causing it; when he falls asleep, she lays his head in her lap, strokes his hair, and sings softly to him. Subconsciously his trust for her builds a little more every time this occurs. The more his trust builds, the closer Asther is to being able to put him in the egg. (I usually refer to an angel's beloved human as, simply, her "love". I use angels constantly in my writing.)

When she is able to do that, she will willingly feed him the sweetest dreams imaginable for all eternity, and feed off the energy given by his pleasure; a kindness that helps them both. Every night she will visit his dreams and be with him, as they are in love, and just because she holds him in forever sleep inside the egg doesn't mean he is mentally unreachable.

When she eventually does succeed in putting her love inside the egg, his disappearance draws questions. She gently breaks the news to his individual family members, gleefully taunts and tortures the bullies at school who used to attack him, and uses the power she gains from his sweet dreams to help make better the lives of the people he cared about most.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:48 am

With her own power, Asther has combined the egg with her own heart, making it a part of her (hence the term "extension of her heart"). Thus, as her love sleeps in the egg, he is sleeping inside her heart, and her heartbeat is the unending lullaby that soothes his dreams.

There are good people who are misled about Asther's intentions. Knowing the power of the Malca Egg, but not knowing more about Asther other than how powerful she is, they see her as the worst threat yet. Agents try to find and capture her before she has put her human love to sleep inside her heart, but they fail. People unnecessarily die in this chase. Tears of shame are shed and apologies full of grief and sorrow are given to the dying, mostly by Asther who is forced to kill to defend her love (because these events happen before he is in the egg, when they still have the power to take him from her). She knows the agents were only doing what they thought was right to save a human being.

In the end, those she killed begin to understand, and forgive her before passing on to the angels' Sanctuary (afterlife). Asther and her love remain together forever, connected through his dreams.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 am

and just because she holds him in forever sleep inside the egg doesn't mean he is mentally unreachable.
I was beginning to wonder. He was sounding more like a captive than her beloved.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:44 pm

She is saving him from his own horrendous life. She is sympathetic to his fear and doesn't mean for him to feel trapped.

Once she has him in the egg, the beautiful dreams make him prefer that existence much to his original one.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 am

Marri Lightning wrote:She is saving him from his own horrendous life. She is sympathetic to his fear and doesn't mean for him to feel trapped.

Once she has him in the egg, the beautiful dreams make him prefer that existence much to his original one.
Your story has a very original, fairytale quality to it. kudos!

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks! All this, plus repeated emails to and from the publishing company working on my book, are giving me more confidence to keep going :D y'all are awesome.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

Return to “Fan Fiction”