Addition to Pool Scene / Fanfiction "Very Much Like a Kiss"

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
Marri Lightning

Addition to Pool Scene / Fanfiction "Very Much Like a Kiss"

Post by Marri Lightning » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:43 am

Oskar's heart dropped when he recognized Conny walking purposefully beside the taller boy.

His brother, Oskar remembered. The boy who had asked Conny for the car keys the other day.

Martin's smile had faded. His eyes narrowed at the two approaching. Andreas, standing back by the bleachers, looked like he might throw up.

Jimmy crouched down at the edge of the pool. There was no expression on his face as he watched Oskar.

"Do you know who I am?" he said flatly.

Oskar hesitated, his heart thumping. "Yes," he said hoarsely.

"Good. So, you understand." Jimmy glanced behind him momentarily, up toward the far windows at the top of the back wall. Right underneath them was a clock Oskar hadn't noticed before.

Jimmy looked back down at Oskar. "Now then. We're going to have a little contest." He reached into his pocket and yanked something out of it. Something small and thick and rectangular.

"You hold your breath underwater, for..." he turned again and stared at the clock for a good five seconds before he'd made up his mind. He looked back at Oskar. "Three minutes."

Oskar's eyes widened in shock, but Jimmy took no notice.

"If you can do it," he continued, "then I'll only nick your cheek. Or your ear." He smirked, and Oskar shuddered at the new, ugly twist. It was the first real expression he'd ever seen on Jimmy's face, and he positively hated it.

"But if you can't do it," Jimmy continued, and with a click the blade popped out of the wooden handle of what Oskar now saw was a knife, "I'll cut out an eye." The smirk faded slightly, and he looked more serious. "An eye for an ear. Right?"

Oskar barely nodded, but Jimmy got it. Without another word, he turned and looked at the boom box with contempt. It was still shrieking out that annoying Flash In The Night tune. He glanced up at Conny and nodded.

Conny's face remained stoic like his brother's. In a single swift motion, he kicked the boom box into the pool. There was a small splash, and then the sudden silence was deafening. For one horrible instant Oskar feared he might be shocked, but nothing happened.

The blade snapped back into the knife. Jimmy beckoned to Oskar.

Swim away, he thought. They can't get you so easily in the water.

But they could surround the pool and box him in. And Jimmy would certainly kill him for trying to pull that trick. He had no choice.

Keeping his eyes on the water, he swam slowly toward Jimmy, shivering. The water felt twenty degrees colder now, no longer safe and inviting.

Jimmy's fingers tightened into Oskar's hair. "Three minutes," he repeated.

"It's impossible," Oskar whimpered.

Jimmy furrowed his brow. "Well, that's your problem. Better take a real deep breath."

Oskar struggled to slow his breathing.

"Five," Jimmy announced loudly. Oskar flinched, not expecting the sound. His heart sped up, but he kept slowing his breaths.

"Four."

He dared a peek at Conny. Conny remained silent. He didn't seem to be enjoying this, but he certainly wasn't stopping it either.

"Three."

Oskar's heart started to slow down some. His breathing became slower and deeper.

"Two."

He heard a whimper. He looked up once more, and saw Andreas cowering away from the scene. He couldn't look.

"One!" Oskar took a final deep breath and held it. Jimmy's hand pushed him under the water.

The cold shocked his head for a moment, but he fought to keep the air inside as long as he could. He had had some breathing exercises previously, but not enough for three minutes.

About twenty seconds went by. Every second, Oskar's panic rose. He expected to lose the air any moment.

He could hear the muffled voices above, but he didn't know what they were saying.

"Come on, Jimmy," Conny muttered, glancing at the clock.

"Shut up!" Jimmy growled.

"Conny, let's get outta here," Martin said, his voice quivering. Andreas was sitting on the bleachers, staring at the far wall, white as a ghost.

"I said shut up!" Jimmy snarled, glaring at Martin, disgust now clearly outlined in his features. He stared back down at Oskar.

Oskar allowed a few tiny bubbles of air to escape his lips. He began to feel hopeful. Could he really do it?

How much time had passed? Thirty seconds? A minute?

Then his throat began to feel tight. The panic rose again, but he forced it down.

He heard the muffled boom from above, but it could have easily been a thudding footstep for all he knew. He kept his focus on the air he still held in.

Jimmy started, and his eyes widened as he stared at the door to the pool room, now wide open. But no one was standing in the doorway.

Keeping his grip tight on Oskar's hair, he glanced up at Conny and Martin. Their faces were now tight with worry.

"Who--" Jimmy stopped when he heard a scrabbling sound overhead.

Oskar didn't know what the noises were, but they were growing louder. Muffled and garbled, they only increased his fear. His throat began to burn.

Jimmy's fingers loosened some. Oskar's heart thudded in his chest. No way he'd actually gone three minutes already?

There was a distant splash nearby. Maybe Jimmy meant to trick him into coming back up too early. He kept his eyes closed, kept the air inside, releasing small bubbles rhythmically.

The fingers loosened more. Then suddenly, they were snaking down his face! Oskar's eyes popped open in terror.

Despite the danger, he kicked against the edge of the pool, pushing back. Jimmy's hand lowered into the water, right in front of his face. His arm too.

And then...

...Then nothing.

Just a mangled, bloody stump where the arm should have connected to the shoulder.

Another hand grazed Oskar's arm, and he yelped, releasing most of the air in his lungs. But this hand was gentle and familiar. It lifted him out.

He blinked the water out of his eyes and stared up into two familiar ones. Eli stared down at him, shivering, as if with fear.

"You came back," Oskar whispered, quivering.

"I never left," Eli whispered back.

"But why?" Oskar took deep breaths, cooling his burning throat.

Eli looked down for a moment, and shrugged slightly. "Because I couldn't. Not really." She looked into his eyes again. Oskar smiled at her. She smiled back.

For a moment they stayed like that, smiling at each other, and Oskar felt his chest grow warm.

Suddenly, Eli's eyes narrowed. As she turned, the smile faded from her face, replaced by a hard, cold contempt. She vaulted out of the pool. Somehow, impossibly, it seemed as if she'd used the surface of the water itself as leverage for the jump.

She landed right in front of Martin and Conny. Both their faces lost what color remained, and they stepped back. Eli stepped toward them.

They stepped back. She stepped forward again. Until they were back against the wall.

She slowly raised a hand, and Conny flinched. She reached for his bandaged ear, as if to touch it, then suddenly she slapped it lightly. He yelped, more in terror than pain. She took no notice.

"You've already got one," she whispered. She grabbed him by the front of his shirt, turned, and threw him several yards away. He screamed, landing in a crumpled heap at the edge of the pool.

Eli turned to face Martin. She raised her hand again. The nail of her index finger slowly appeared to curl into a claw. He gasped in terror.

She swiped her finger quickly across his face, cutting a slit from one cheek to the other, right above his lip. He yelled in pain and reached up to his face. Eli struck his hands away, then shoved him in the chest hard. He sank down against the wall, crying, staring up at her.

At last she turned to Andreas. He almost burst into tears as she neared him, where he sat on the bleachers. He slowly stood and backed into the corner behind the seats. Eli followed him.

She slowly raised her hand to his face, and her finger, still clawed, now red with Martin's blood, uncurled and pointed right at his nose. Slowly, she brought it closer until the sharp tip of the claw lightly touched his nose.

She said only one word. "Stop."

He nodded quickly, his breaths coming out in shivering gasps. He'd never been so frightened in his life.

When Eli removed her figner from his nose, a small red smear remained on the tip. Martin's blood. With a whimper, Andreas reached up and wiped it off.

Eli's pointing finger changed direction. Backing away from Andreas, she pointed to the left. Toward the exit of the pool room.

He nodded again, and scrambled out of the corner. But as he passed by Eli, she grabbed his shoulder, eliciting a shriek from him.

She pointed back, at Jimmy. His body lay over the edge of the pool, minus his head and arm, which both lay at the bottom.

"You tell...no...one," Eli whispered. Still at a loss for words, Andreas nodded. He didn't dare speak. Eli released his shoulder, and jerked her head toward the exit. Blubbering tears of terror and confusion, Andreas staggered over the floor, past the bleachers and the pool, and out the door.

Oskar slowly climbed out of the pool as Eli turned to Martin and Conny. "Same for you both," she said calmly. "Or else I'll come for you, like him." She gave them a quick nod, and they both scrambled for the exit after Andreas.

"Eli," Oskar said. She turned to him. He suddenly didn't know what to say.

There was Jimmy's body, right behind her. Another murder. Everyone would know Oskar had been here too. Fear tightened his chest. He'd hardly spoken to his mother since she'd found that stranger lying in their bathroom, throat ripped out. Even though the police couldn't match any evidence against him, things had gotten bad lately.

Now they'd be worse.

He knew Eli had saved his life, but...now, he thought, what was he going to do? Was his life ruined forever? Two murders. He'd been in the wrong place at the wrong time, both times. They'd connect him to this one much more easily.

Eli seemed to understand. She looked devastated as she slowly came toward him. "Oskar," she pleaded.

He didn't back away. "I..." he started. "Thank you...Eli...really. I mean..."

"I know," she whispered. "I know what they'll think. What everyone will think."

"Still," Oskar fumbled for words, "He would have cut my eye out, and you were here...you stopped him."

She barely smiled, but he knew she felt his gratitude, even if it was mixed with fear. But there was something else in her eyes too. Something far-away. Longing for something.

"Oskar," she whispered finally, stepping closer, "I don't think you should go home."

"But, the police," he pleaded. "I can't run away, or they'll know--"

"It doesn't matter what they know. Or what they think. What anyone thinks," she continued, only a few steps away. "What happens if I just let you go on? They'll investigate you for a long time. And what if I do it again, like the first time? I can't ruin your life, Oskar."

"It's already ruined," he shrugged. "Nobody at school talks to me. They'll just be scared of me now. It won't be much different."

"But your mother," Eli continued. "She'll always think that about you. And this will never leave you. And..."

Oskar waited for her to finish. He practically trembled with anticipation.

"This...this isn't...you don't really have a life, Oskar. This is no life."

He was very confused. "What do you mean?"

She stepped closer. "This is no life," she repeated softly. "Your life isn't really a life. Your mother is the only person you're really close to, and that's gone. You have nothing, Oskar. And...I don't either."

His eyes widened a little as he felt her meaning.

She stopped in front of him. He could see a tear on her cheek. "We don't have anything, or anyone...except each other. And we never will have more than that."

"But, Eli...I could help you, like the other guy did...your father, right? I could--"

"And risk your life even more? Ruin any kind of living you'd ever have?" Eli's lip trembled. "He wasn't my father, Oskar."

Oskar furrowed his brow. "Who was he?"

She looked down at her feet. "Many years ago...he was just like you. Like how you are now." She looked back up at him, ashamed. "Every day still, I regret it. I ruined his life. I ruined everything for him."

Oskar felt that rush of understanding he'd been waiting for. So Eli didn't want to repeat the same thing with him that she'd done to her old friend.

"His name was Hakan," she whispered. "Was."

"Was?" Oskar asked fearfully.

"He got caught many nights ago. Burned his face with acid so he wouldn't be recognized. I saw him in the hospital, and he...he killed himself. Offered himself to me, and died. I've been on my own since. But if I had never pulled him into this...he could still be alive.

"He was bullied when he was young, too. I thought I was taking him away from a horrible life to something better. But it was worse. Always on the run. Always avoiding everyone's sight. Killing people by night. I don't want to do it to you."

Oskar's heart sank. "Do you mean you have to go away? For real this time?"

Eli's breaths came slowly and shallowly, as if she anticipated a bad reaction from Oskar. "Not me. Both of us."

He was confused again. "But...you just said..." He stopped as she laid her hand on his cheek.

"We don't have anyone but each other," she pleaded, more tears coming. "And we never will. Don't you see that?"

He nodded, feeling his eyes well with his own tears. "But what does it mean?" he squeaked. Although he had anotion of what she might be suggesting. "What are you going to do?"

"We don't need anyone or anything else but each other," Eli murmured. "We never will."

Oskar's heart was thumping again. He inadvertently took a step back. Eli didn't look surprised or offended. The sad expression remained unchanged on her face.

"You don't have to be afraid of anyone anymore," she pleaded, following him slowly as he backed away from her.

"Eli," he croaked, holding back sobs. "Is it the right thing to do?"

"It is," she immediately told him, without a doubt. "And the only thing. Neither of us will be alone anymore."

He shut his eyes and tried to imagine it. Living forever, never growing an inch or a year. Always with Eli, day by day. Killing humans...or maybe animals...he wasn't sure. But, he realized, they could do a lot to survive, a lot that wouldn't be so harmful.

And they could figure everything out together. Maybe they wouldn't have to hide. Maybe they could do things the right way this time. Maybe they had a better chance than Eli had with Hakan, if she was right, if they could really...

He blinked away the tears and felt only relief. Was it all over?

She was right in front of him again. "It only hurts a little," she whispered. "Just a little."

Oskar blinked, and nodded. He understood.

"Just a little," she repeated softly, leaning close to him, putting her arms around his neck. "Don't worry."

He shuddered as he felt her kiss his neck. "Eli." His voice was just another breath now.

"Don't worry."

He closed his eyes as her lips brushed softly over the tender flesh. She kissed him again.

Again...

"You don't have to be afraid anymore."

Then he felt a soft sting. Something so gentle, he didn't even mind. He felt her shift slightly. He felt his own blood trickling down his neck and soaking into the left shoulder of his shirt.

But he didn't even mind.

He kept his eyes closed as she fed, enjoying the gentle sensation. It was still like a kiss. Still very much like a kiss.

"Oh..." He felt himself slipping away into the darkness. He felt her pick him up. He found her eyes again, and kept them in view.

She smiled down at him as his consciousness slowly faded. "It doesn't take long," she murmured.

He saw something now in her eyes he'd never seen before. Something that renewed his certainty. He knew she was right. Everything would be better now.

It was hope.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Re: Addition to Pool Scene / Fanfiction "Very Much Like a Ki

Post by dongregg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Marri Lightning! Welcome to We, the Infected. Thanks for giving us a chance to hang out for a while with Oskar and Eli.

Great attention to detail in your story. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Terrific exploration! The attention to detail, as mentioned, is really good; it adds to the story. +1 on your well-suited emotional & caring depictions of Eli and Oskar. Reallly well done. (looking for more!)

BTW: Because this is a fan fiction, I am going to move this thread down into our Fan Content section where there is a Fan Fiction area. We have an amazing (well, obviously this is my biased opinion :roll: ) Fan Fic area - please dig in and enjoy. But I want to let you know this before I do the move. I don't want to have it just vanish and leave you wondering if it had been 'disappeared' or 'deleted'. Nahhh, we just like to keep all the fan fics and fan art and fan vids where we know to go look for them. So glad you've arrived as a new likely fan fic writer. Do keep going!! (Quiz: there is one member on this forum who we don't mind at all his/her leaving fiction entries up here in the film and book topic areas... can you figure out who it is? Okay everyone, this is for Marri to figure out - no jumping in with the answer.))

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:23 am

No problemo! Although, if I do write more fanfics, I'll have to create a sub-account or login in there, or whatever it's called. I guess this time your repost of it makes it a shortcut for me.

Hmm, wonder how to figger this out. Exploration time.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Yes Marri.Really nice augmentation of the original.You can tell by reading it you really got it.Please keep them coming. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:05 pm

Marri Lightning wrote:No problemo! Although, if I do write more fanfics, I'll have to create a sub-account or login in there, or whatever it's called. I guess this time your repost of it makes it a shortcut for me.

Hmm, wonder how to figger this out. Exploration time.
Hey - nice avatar!

When you're at the top level of this forum (http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/forum ), scroll down to 'Fan Fiction', which is under the 'Fan Content' header. That's where this thread will be. That's all there is to it. You don't need to create a sub-account.

Okay, if you want to enter a story into the fan content part of this website ( http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/fancontent/ ), then yes you do need a second account.

But for what you have done here, which is provide a story to us by opening a new discussion thread and putting the story into it, this is fine.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:17 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Hey - nice avatar!
Agreed! Eli looks so lovely. It's after Oskar shows her the Morse code he wrote down and says "Kom!" Right?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 am

Yes indeed, he has just gotten up from the jungle gym and is starting to walk away from it, telling her to follow him. She's about to stand up.

It took me a minute or so when I saw that scene near the end of the movie (after Eli says she has to leave), where it flashed back to Oskar and Eli running back to the apartments on the night of that photo. I didn't realize it was a flashback, I thought it was still the present and it was Eli running away on foot. Confusion!!! Regardless, now that I know what it was, somehow it fit perfectly. I don't know how this movie manages to be perfect in every way, it just does it.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 am

Marri Lightning wrote:Yes indeed, he has just gotten up from the jungle gym and is starting to walk away from it, telling her to follow him. She's about to stand up.

It took me a minute or so when I saw that scene near the end of the movie (after Eli says she has to leave), where it flashed back to Oskar and Eli running back to the apartments on the night of that photo. I didn't realize it was a flashback, I thought it was still the present and it was Eli running away on foot. Confusion!!! Regardless, now that I know what it was, somehow it fit perfectly. I don't know how this movie manages to be perfect in every way, it just does it.
I've commented before about the "cinema magic" that Tomas Alfredson has at his command! I mean, a year before he had his two 11-year-old leads? (I believe they turned 12 during the shooting. Not sure of that. But in an interview, Miss Leandersson mentioned being 11.)

I speak of the integrity of the film. I don't mean "honesty," rather, I mean that all of the wonderful parts create an integrated whole that had already swept me off my feet by the first jungle gym scene.

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:58 am

Lol, här borta på klätterställningen. Must get real cold 364 days outta the year Eli XD
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

Return to “Fan Fiction”