Barnet tycker om mig

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: Barnet tycker om mig

Post by dongregg » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:39 pm

PeteMork wrote:Great beginning, GK. I like the way you use references to hoary old classic literature to give the reader a sense of not only his background, but of his dark and hypocrisy-filled present. Håkan is definitely a challenging figure to interpret, but I find him more tragic than sympathetic -- although I guess there is implied sympathy in any 'tragic' character. I suppose his only salvation lies in the fact that he never seems to physically force himself on his victims. And of course, his final sacrifice. It's interesting to me that the book, as opposed to the film, makes this, at least in my opinion, much clearer. I can hardly wait to see where you will be going with this!
If I go with one definition of tragedy, then it's off the table. "A tragedy is when both sides in a conflict are right" (such as Eli versus her victims). I like that because it makes just about everything tragic. As for Håkan not using force -- Force includes using one's power differential to influence another. This is especially applicable in adult-child interactions.

I think his final sacrifice begs to be seen as the old bugger transcending who he was. I would expect no less because of who Eli is, a truly tragic figure, capable of bringing the best out in people associated with her (cf: "Seen with love").

Yes, Håkan is a complex character, but only his love for Eli elicits any sympathy from me.

Hats off to GK for such a well drawn picture of him.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:32 am

metoo wrote:
gkmoberg1 wrote:Another thing: The way you use "kronor" feels strange. We never use the name of our currency as a synonym for "money" in Sweden.
I believe this is occasionally done in America, though: I haven't got the dollars. Am I right?
Yes, you are right. And this is a good example of how very hard it is to write for a foreign culture and setting. I took a guess. This is often what I have to do. Should any of you have an extra inheritance or vast fortune and would like to pack me away to Sweden for a year, please speak up. My fanfictions should improve with a year's experience. Maybe.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:07 pm

I was trying to update this story last night. But I had the wrong power brick (the external power converter) for my notebook. Somehow things had gotten mixed up (too many antique notebooks each with their own power brick) and my notebook sure did not like my attempts to give it power off of the wrong brick. I'm glad I did not wreck the notebook! I came away realizing that I need to do a good backup across my systems, preferably before brilliant me screws them up and I lose my writings, ramblings, screenplay, etc. -oh the horror. Also, used my kids' label maker to identify on each brick which notebook it is to be used with. In short: didn't get much writing done.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:11 am

Excellent. Keep going!! :D

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 am

There is a lot to consider on how this works out. We learn in the novel that Håkan came to Växjö from Karlstad and that he did so roughly three years prior. His life has been in decline since then, and I gather things have been at 'rock bottom' for some time. Eli shows up and Håkan says he enters into Eli's service - without thinking about good or evil; he simply does. But we learn this while listening in on Håkan's reflections, which are being made several months in the future from when their initial meeting occurred. I suspect Håkan is glossing over exactly what transpired. Eli didn't just show up one evening, they walked off - holding hands - and voila they were a team. Yes, Håkan entered into Eli's service, but it's likely only something that both worked into - each testing the other as this bond formed. The novel gives some scattered clues and it's curious to try and use these and attempt to add up how their bond came to pass.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 am

The novel seems to me to present Eli as having a limited set of tools for relating to people or establishing rapport. She sure has a stripped-down, pragmatic understanding of love.

We don't know what precedents and boundaries were set with her previous helpers, just that she did what she had to do.

Her abrupt statement that "you will be with me," or whatever she said, could suggest a commanding presence or just a limited way of phrasing things.

So I'd say let 'er rip. I think the book leaves you free to turn this anyway you want to, and I look forward to reading what that is.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Fan Fiction”