Afterwards

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Afterwards

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:44 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Excellent look at this part of the novel through Eli's point of view.
Thanks!

I have had the idea for a few years that Eli would have understood who Lacke was and why he came to Eli's bathroom. After all, Lacke and Eli did stare into each other's face at a very short distance for a "couple of panting breaths" on the night when Eli attacked Virginia. And Lacke's clothes were in the hospital ward where Virginia burnt to death. Eli, with his acute sense of smell, would surely have detected that. That Eli would connect these facts seems likely and well in character with the way he is portrayed in the novel. He appears quite contemplative.

Of course there is much more that would have run though Eli's mind that what I have put into words. I had some additional ideas, but decided not to add too much, for the sake of the story. Still, the comments here show that other people read into it stuff that I hadn't thought of. That's what makes these discussion threads so rewarding!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Yes, there would be much more. This would be particularly true as he leaves the bathroom in search of Oskar, and then in finding him and in how they spend the afternoon. There are a number of realizations we know he makes, likely before Oskar even knows to contemplate them.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Thank you, btw, for posting the Swedish and English versions. (And this same Thank You applies to intrige and EEA for when they have provided fan-fic entries in their two languages) You've done this for most nearly all of your fan-fics. Perhaps all of them? To me they are providing terrific way to get into learning Swedish. I can barely follow along but find I'm motivated to keep trying. - In short: thank you for the time & effort you put into the dual-language postings.

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:23 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Perhaps all of them?
Yes. I write my fan-fiction in Swedish, and then I translate into English (with heavy assistance from Google Translate). The main reason is that my writing capabilities are vastly superior in Swedish - notwithstanding that I regard myself quite fluent in English. Furthermore, writing in Swedish might have an additional effect: It might help keeping the atmosphere of my stories Swedish, and thus more true to the mood of LtROI (the novel) which I consciously try to emulate.
gkmoberg1 wrote:In short: thank you for the time & effort you put into the dual-language postings.
You're welcome!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:08 pm

I as all of us really like what you wrote and what interesting ideas you brought to the table. BUT IT IS TOO SHORT, WHY ISN'T THERE MORE? :evil: Do you want to torment me!? 8-)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:05 pm

intrige wrote:Do you want to torment me!?
Yes. ;)

Return to “Fan Fiction”