Set Me as a Seal Part 3

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: Set Me as a Seal Part 3

Post by dongregg » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:02 pm

metoo wrote:
dongregg wrote:However, my occasional urge to buy LTROI is mostly motivated by a desire to know more about Eli's background. Even though that might be sketchy -- or so I gather from discussions here -- it would give me a better understanding of how, where, and when Eli lived before Blackeberg.
There is some stuff about Eli's background in the novel, yes. But what might be more interesting to you is that JAL uses Eli's perspective a couple of times, giving us a few glances into Eli's mind.
Sound like a bonus! I'd like to see how he does it.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:56 pm

There is an important addition, about halfway through part 3 in the section "Equation of Survival." The children have waited almost too long, and the hunger begins to assert its supremacy. "Eli sees that Oskar's eyes have begun to change. She takes his hand under the table in an iron grip."

There is also a big chunk of Professor Grigore's background in "Equation of Survival." Until the parts are organized into a proper book with a proper table of contents, look for "Equation of Survival" between "The Reveal" and "Thin Ice."

With the tireless efforts of three members of WTI, each part of "Set Me as a Seal upon Your Heart" has been moderated and put into the Fan Fiction section in pretty good shape. Then why the changes? Mostly they are changes suggested by forum members, such as developing the character of Detective Sergeant Per Morkus in Part 2 and developing Grigore and Ávila's background (Romania and Spain, respectively). So now we have Grigore's background and what he's doing in Malmö in Part 3, and Ávila shares his background and why he left Spain in Part 4.

Part 4 has several completed vignettes, but it is probably a few months away from being seen by anyone other than the great writers I mentioned who are helping with readings and suggestions.

In my estimation (ahem!), "Set Me as a Seal" is a ripping good yarn with lots of surprises.

(I'm putting this in as an edit to an edit to keep from bumping this thread. I want to feel free to chat here but without interrupting the normal flow. If Part 3 gets bumped, it will only be because someone has something to say about it.)

Edit 3: Again, editing rather than posting to keep from bumping. Part 4 is still a ways off from being submitted for moderation. It lacks two central vignettes, one of which is under way. But the existing six vignettes are delicious. Well, that's my opinion! And the three stalwarts who are keeping me from running into a ditch seem to incline to that opinion. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri May 27, 2016 5:08 pm

dongregg wrote:
Drakeule wrote:
metoo wrote: But I, and many with me, maintain that the experience of watching the film is virtually the same as one gets when reading the novel.
Eh... Eli is more fun in the novel.
I think both of you have a wonderful outlook. Let's be clear about mine. The fan fictions in my head and that I write are me hanging out with our two little pals as seen on the screen.
Hi Drakeule. But you see, I did bite. Got the novel this month, read it, marked special passages, continue to reread them. I will continue to enjoy the novel.

But, Pete, Drakeule, Eik (intrigue), and metoo: Lina Leandersson is not in the book; therefore, my film Eli is not in the book. Kåre Hedebrant is not in the book. It is incomprehensible to me that some consider the book and film to be part of a seamless whole. I understand that in a world of "lumpers and splitters," I am a splitter when it comes to LTROI, but even JAL considers his script of the film to be something new. Says he didn't write the script as a synopsis of the novel. The novel is a successful book of chills and romance. The film is a successful movie of ditto, but it is not an illustration of the book. Ann Rice tried that when she wrote the script of Interview with the Vampire, and the result was somewhat disappointing.

"Set Me as a Seal upon your Heart" (Book1) is complete and published here in 5 sections, part 1 through part 5.

So I charge you to enjoy "Set Me as Seal" as a continuation of the film, which is a complete work of art that doesn't require any help from the book. "Set Me" imports a few technical details, such as Eli's age, but I present Eli as TA presents her, as a girl who was a boy at one time. That complication is maintained in "Set Me as a Seal" but gets no more emphasis than the film gives it.

Book 2? The first part has several complete vignettes, so it is happening. I hope to present the first part of many to be moderated sometime this year. Okay, maybe this fall. Well, someday.

Return to “Fan Fiction”