thirty-four years ago today

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Re: thirty-four years ago today

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:19 am

Friday Night
16 October 1981

• ~oOo~ ~oOoOoOo~ ~oOo~

Eli stood before him, interrupting his reading.

“Let’s go out.”

“Why? We need to stay out of sight.”

“You need to stay out of sight.”

“Then you go.”

“No, I need you to come along.”

• ~oOo~ ~oOoOoOo~ ~oOo~

Oskar slipped through the back door of this building and into the courtyard. Cold night air greeted him and he pulled his coat closed. His mother would be home soon but he couldn’t take being alone and waiting. He had done most of his homework, made some food and listened to some music. But he was restless and couldn’t figure out how to fill the time.

The swings were good for a couple of minutes. But then he stopped and sat in the middle swing doing little other than flexing legs so as to push himself backwards until the swing rocked him back a bit before his weight brought him forward again.

He tried watching the windows of the surrounding buildings. Many were lit as it was early. If he was lucky he would see a shape, likely a person, move somewhere within. It was like watching a silent movie. Except it was one where little happens. He knew some of the families who lived here, more often by having seen them enough to feel familiar with them than to know them by name. He imagined being able to see his weekend route through the buildings, delivering the flyers. Yes, a red tracer line showing his ascent and descent through each section, perhaps growing stronger where he dawdled and weaker where he hastened. Through the basements, for example. On rainy Saturdays he would use the basements instead of going outside between sections. He usually moved quickly through them, so he imagined a thinner, duller red tracer line.

He held out his hand and worked out how the line would proceed up, down, and slowly around the building complex. One complete revolution. His trip ended when his finger came back to point at his own flat. The lights, he saw, were on now in the kitchen. He had turned them off. This could only mean one thing.

• ~oOo~ ~oOoOoOo~ ~oOo~

“My mother.”

“What about her?”

“I remember her here.”

Håkan startled and looked to where Eli was indicating, expecting to see a figure.

“No, she’s gone.”

As they had done a week ago, Eli had led Håkan down Nygaten, crossing over Kungsgatan, and eventually over to Sankt Persgatan. There they made a left and walked the short distance to the broad roundabout intersection with Södra Promenaden. Cars moved steadily passed them throughout. Headlights, the noise of tires on the pavement, the smell of the exhaust in the night air.

Last week Håkan had been treated by being allowed to hold Eli’s hand as they crossed over the busier intersections along Nygaten. But once here at the roundabout Eli had turned sullen and wouldn’t hold his hand then or on the way back. He was wanting the same tonight, but so far Eli’s hands stayed by his own side.

“Do you know where?”

Eli didn’t look at him. Instead, he wandered towards the southeast, towards the direction he had pointed. Håkan followed behind until Eli came to stop and stared off at the park area before them.

“Here,” Eli said after a while.

“Do you know where she would have gone next?”

Eli glared up at him, shook his head and walked off east along Södra Promenaden. A bus moved passed them, filling the air with the roar of its engine until it had moved on. Håkan trailed along. Chances of getting to hold Eli’s hand seemed all but dashed.

Håkan reflected on the book he was reading. Dödsbrickan, by Henning Mankell. The protagonist, Harold, had been robbed. A girl took his winnings. This propelled the story along well enough as Harold attempted to pursue the culprit. But as Håkan worked his way into the midst of the story he found Harold was coming to pursue a deeper understanding of himself. Trudging along behind Eli, Håkan realized a kindship with this Harold. The immediate quest was to come to understand his assailant. The introspective journey was to find himself. Yes, he thought, where am I? Do I know anymore?

• ~oOo~ ~oOoOoOo~ ~oOo~

Oskar sat on the couch next to his mother. The television was on but he was not paying attention. Instead he wanted to match how she sat with her feet up on the edge of the coffee table that was before the couch. He tried it but his legs were too short.

“What you doing? You’re going to fall of the sofa,” she said.

“Yeh right,” he laughed, rolled over playfully towards here and, yes, ended up on the floor.

• ~oOo~ ~oOoOoOo~ ~oOo~

It was at the traffic circle where Albrektsvägen came up from the south and met Södra Promenaden where Eli allowed Håkan to catch up. The traffic was lighter but they needed to wait before crossing.

“I don’t want to be here,” said Eli.

“Yes, we’re leaving,” ventured Håkan, not sure what exactly was being discussed. “The day after tomorrow.”

“I know.”

“Is that okay with you?”

“Yes.”

For the second time this evening Håkan was startled. Eli’s little hand had grabbed his. Heaven. Håkan waited for the next break in the traffic. “Here we go then. Smartly.” And they started off again.

• ###

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 am

Early Sunday
18 October 1981
Linköpingsvägen och Södra Promenaden
Norrköping, Sweden

Long after midnight, Eli arrived again at the edge of the traffic roundabout. He came to the stop one more time at the point where Södra Promenaden branched off to the east. A large waning moon, high up and off to the west, gave a good amount of light.

This deep at night, everything was quiet and he had the area to himself. He had come back alone, choosing to wait until Håkan was asleep. Escaping their flat at night was something Eli often did. Very seldom did he opt to stay in.

The evening before last, Eli had brought Håkan to this spot and had planned to talk to him about his past. But the moment felt wrong. As well, it was against the rules Eli had long set up. So, even though he had started towards explaining about this spot to Håkan, Eli caught himself and closed him mouth.

Eli had learned long ago that it was best not to reveal too much. Adults that he met up with only grew curious and anxious when he started to reveal more and more. When he started to let them in on his past they insisted on more. Sometimes craved for more. Sometimes demanded on more. Sometimes even become dangerous. He had seen and endured all types. So, he knew the less he said was often for the better.

Håkan, therefore, knew nothing of his mother. Håkan knew nothing of Elias and days long ago. Eli didn’t care. He had been in the company of so many Håkans that he knew the course. This Håkan would not last long. He was not a good fit other than for a short while. Eli knew this but didn’t care.

He walked along the pavement, complacent in the solitude.

Before him was a grassy park that included a stand of trees. He could make it all out in the moonlight. There used to be a stream. He could make out the depression but it was long dry. Long, long ago his mother had stooped here and washed clothing. He had played here and all about here in that life. It was such an old memory that it was easy to look at and put away.

For a long time he had cried about the life he had lost. He had often cried about losing his mother and his family. But it was so long ago that he had put it away. Similarly, the sting of their loss had long faded. He could drag it all out if he wanted to, but there was no need. He felt nothing and cared nothing about either the emptiness or the presence of that emptiness. Simply put, it was night; he was here; he once had lived here; and all of it was gone.

So why then, he wondered, did he so strongly want to leave? That much he had told Håkan: he didn’t want to be here anymore. Maybe he didn’t want to remember. Maybe he didn’t want to forget any more than he had. It was easier not to think about it.

He walked down the gully where the streambed had been. This is where she had stood. He imagined the day, closed his eyes and put his hand out to hers. Pretended that she could see him one more time. She would not likely have taken his hand. Rather, she'd have given him a shirt to wash or had him set things up to dry.

But the night remained. The moon and its illumination remained. The cold chill of the night air remained. There was no sunny afternoon and no mother. He opened his eyes and returned. He looked at his empty hand and then let it drop back to his side. He looked about and saw the grass and the trees. He felt the silence.

For a long time he stood there before walking back.

###

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:14 am

Monday Evening
19 October 1981
Discussion Group
Blackeberg Public Library
Blackeberg, Sweden

gk: Eli's first day in Blackeberg was today! Let's see... Eli and Hakan arrived late last night and did the first part of unpacking. I can imagine Eli likely did more of that, given how Hakan -

Håkan: Please, I was tired. I had been up for most of the day. I had to make sure everything was ready. Then met the driver. We carried everything down and put it on the truck.

Eli: I would have helped. But it would be little suspicious if I was carrying things down.

Håkan: You could have helped. You just chose not to.

Eli: I just didn't have the energy for it.

Håkan (shakes his head): Anyway, I helped load the truck. We then drove to Blackeberg.

Eli: All three of us.

Håkan: Yes, you were there for that.

Driver: I hardly got to see her. Really cute little kid. But also really quiet.

Håkan: And so, three hours later, we arrive and I get to help unpack.

Eli: I wanted to help but-

Håkan: Yeh, I know, you didn't have the energy for it.

Eli: No I did. But I was too curious to see what had changed.

Håkan: What? You've been to Blackeberg before?

Eli: Well, yes and no.

Håkan: This is news.

Eli: You didn't ask.

Håkan (puffs up his cheeks momentarily, counts to ten): Anyway, paid the driver-

Driver: Actually, you'd already paid. Remember?

Håkan: True, we did that back in Norkopping.

Driver: But the little extra you gave me was very appreciated. Thank you.

Håkan: You're welcome.

gk: But by then you were pretty beat, I imagine.

Driver: Yes, he looked tired. I left and made it most of the way back. But Håkan, he had to still do at least some things before he and the girl could get to sleep.

Eli: The girl?! Yo no soy una niña.

Ávila (drops coffee mug onto table): ¡Espera! Where did that come from?

Oskar: You know Spanish!

Eli (winks at Ávila): just practicing.

Ávila: You've been to Argentina?

Eli: Spain.

Oskar: Spain?

Eli: Sure. Yes. I'd like to go back sometime.

Oskar: Was it fun?

Eli: It was! Maybe I should take you next time.

Oskar: Yeh, sure.

gk (to Håkan): Anyway, it's beyond midnight and you were beat tired. Right?

Håkan: Right. I get the bed stuff together for myself and, well, that's all for me.

Eli: But not me.

Håkan: True enough. I get up the next day to find all the stuff you've been unpacking. It's pretty much all over everything.

Eli: Things happened.

Håkan: So I got to clean up a bit as my first day. Mind you, I didn't get up so early, but the place was all mine when I did.

Oskar: But likely not the bathroom!

Eli: (laughs)

Håkan: Wait, you're not suppose to know that yet.

Ávila: You don't meet Eli for another couple of days Oskar.

Oskar: Okay, so pretend I didn't say that.

Eli: But you're still right.

Oskar: Sure am.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 am

Love it! Very playful!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Wednesday
28 Oktober 1981
Johan's Diary

I was with Oskar today during lunch, when we may go out. Outside at the sandbox we talked about the Russians and then about bombs and missiles. We then pretended we could fire missiles. We blew up entire cities! Only we were throwing rocks into the sandbox. We weren't actually using missiles. Everyone was dying. Maybe even the animals. Pretend people and animals, I mean. I liked that I hit a couple toys in the sandbox without missing, but I'm not sure Oskar noticed.

That's when Micke and Jonny showed up. Jonny and Oskar talked but I stayed out of it. I got down and tied my shoes. Not that they needed to be tied. But I didn't want to be the one Jonny was after. Jonny called Oskar 'Piggy'. he does that a lot, and said Oskar was going to have to clean up our mess. He said it twice. And that's when Oskar said 'No'. And Oskar said it too many times. Jonny and Micke went back inside. I knew they were going to have it in for Oskar. When the boys were gone I asked Oskar why he stood up to them. He said 'Because I did, that's all.' That was stupid. Oskar is just going to make them angry and make things worse. I told him he was an idiot. He knows they're going to beat him up again, but he said those things anyway.

When school was over I looked for Oskar but did not see him. Then I went out with everyone else and went home. I stayed with all the kids so that if Jonny or Micke saw me, they wouldn't be able to do anything with everyone there.

I don't know where Oskar went. Maybe I should call him. But he might not be happy with me for how I ducked out of having Jonny talk to me too at the sandbox. Oskar had ignored me after lunch. Maybe I should not have tied my shoes but I don't want to deal with Jonny.

###

Mikallein

Post by Mikallein » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:41 am

http://i.imgur.com/lhRXmlp.png

Well, here it is.

Today is the day that Oskar and Eli visited the lovers kiosk, resulting on my favorite scene from the book and one of my favorite quotes, "Don't forget about the bannanas" :lol: :lol:

Kinda ran out if time and it did not turn out as good as I hoped, but I will keep trying, lol. :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:51 am

Mikallein wrote:http://i.imgur.com/lhRXmlp.png

Well, here it is.

Today is the day that Oskar and Eli visited the lovers kiosk, resulting on my favorite scene from the book and one of my favorite quotes, "Don't forget about the bannanas" :lol: :lol:

Kinda ran out if time and it did not turn out as good as I hoped, but I will keep trying, lol. :D
Oh dear me, Mikallein, it's charming!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Mishrashade48

Post by Mishrashade48 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 am

Mikallein wrote:http://i.imgur.com/lhRXmlp.png

Well, here it is.

Looks great to me, especially Oskar chuckling. Wonderful job Mikallein. :D
All of life's journeys come with meetings, partings, and reunions.

Mikallein

Post by Mikallein » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:28 am

Thanks guys! :)

Return to “Fan Fiction”