gkmoberg1

Jag går inte förrän du kommer

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:30 am

Min första dikt i svenska. förlåt...

Jag går inte förrän du kommer,
mina dagar är mörka utan dig.
Snälla, lägg din hand i min,
mina nätter är ljusa med dig.
Springer med mig, springer med mig i århundraden.

dongregg

Re: Jag går inte förrän du kommer

Post by dongregg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:22 am

Words with great feeling, regardless of the language.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:25 am

svenska.

But the poem was beautiful.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Tack så mycket.

I've been taking Swedish lessons online for several months and using a cassette tape & book lesson at home. Prepositions are the hardest for me. All the goofs, whatever they might be, are from me. I relied on what I have learned and did not use google translate. I'll probably look at this in a year and groan. 8-) But I was pondering what Eli might have been thinking during the three quiet days (and nights) of their separation near the end of the novel.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:36 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Prepositions are the hardest for me.
Prepositions always are hard. You never can translate prepositions literally, you need to explicitly learn what preposition to use in every single context.

I find it interesting to ponder about this. While the meaning of the complete sentence may be the same in different languages, the different intrinsic meaning of the preposition changes the context in interesting ways, I think. And this is what you get when you learn another language - an additional way to think about things. It broadens your mind.
Last edited by metoo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:30 pm

Nice poem. Pretty words. :)
For me when I try to translate in English or Spanish is hard since sometimes I won't be able to find the correct words.

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:06 am

Jag går inte förrän du kommer to me means: I am not going in front of you coming.
How about: Jag går inte innan du kommer.
The poem was nice though! Really sweet!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am

intrige wrote:Jag går inte förrän du kommer to me means: I am not going in front of you coming.
How about: Jag går inte innan du kommer.
No, in this context "förrän" is the better word. Using "innan" would put an emphasis to the time of arrival, while "förrän" makes the arrival as such more important.

Like this:
Jag går inte innan du kommer (för jag har saker att göra). I won't go before you come (because I've got things to do).
Jag går inte förrän du kommer (för jag väntar på dig). I won't go until you come (because I'm waiting for you).
intrige wrote:The poem was nice though! Really sweet!
Yes.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Tack så mycket.

I've been taking Swedish lessons online for several months and using a cassette tape & book lesson at home. Prepositions are the hardest for me. All the goofs, whatever they might be, are from me. I relied on what I have learned and did not use google translate. I'll probably look at this in a year and groan. 8-) But I was pondering what Eli might have been thinking during the three quiet days (and nights) of their separation near the end of the novel.
Thinking at prepositions is probably the very worst because it seems no two language families ever use the same prepositions through the same thought, even if all the other words transliterate well. This is true even just for English internally, for native speakers: I grew up saying something is different from another, but I've seen people saying it's different "to" or different "than" - and even, of time in time, "in". These inter- and intra-language inconsistencies can make it very hard of deciding which to use.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:05 am

sauvin wrote:Thinking at prepositions is probably the very worst because it seems no two language families ever use the same prepositions through the same thought, even if all the other words transliterate well. This is true even just for English internally, for native speakers: I grew up saying something is different from another, but I've seen people saying it's different "to" or different "than" - and even, of time in time, "in". These inter- and intra-language inconsistencies can make it very hard of deciding which to use.
Yes, like I wrote, one has to learn what preposition to use for each expression. And, as you write, there often are several accepted prepositions to use for any expression. These things are not always set in stone, and this is true for Swedish as well.

Return to “Fan Fiction”