summer cottage

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Re: summer cottage

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 pm

:D
EEA wrote:I wonder how long Eli and Oskar stay sleep.
I decided in this little piece to use '2 years' because I wanted to explore that Eli (and thus other eliform vampires) might really 'nod off' for lengthy periods. Not just for months or an entire season in length, but for years. Eli tells Oskar that he has been asleep for about 1/2 the time of the last 200 years. Given that, it might be the case that a 2 or 3 or even long hibernation period is possible. As a result, though, you can see how little Eli might seem well out of sync with society when first awakened from hibernation. Things have been changing and he's not been around so as to keep up on what is the current trends, new ideas, new gadgets, or the news in general. (I think Anne Rice's 'Lestat' also takes very long hibernation periods, but it has been a great while since I read any of the her stories.)
EEA wrote:And how do they know when they have guests at the cottage.
I don't think they do. In the case of this tale, I set the scenario to be at the point when the two do wake up. It is simply the potential misfortune of the current guests, whomever that might turn out to be, that they are the ones renting the cottage when the two do wake up.

If eliform vampires are like humans, and if it were possible to detect anything from the house above, then I think that it would have to be noise that would arouse their attention. I was told once told by a fire expert that the sense of smell is that last of the our sense to come back online when we wake up. Here's an article that matches that: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 075747.htm . But of course the article is talking about us (normal humans who like reading LTROI fan fictions), not Eli.

Btw, I have no idea who owns the cottage. It isn't Eli or Oskar, that's all I had decided. They'd have no need for ownership. And ownership, anyway, becomes traceable and thus a way that somebody might start to discover information about them and potentially find them.

Return to “Fan Fiction”