Set Me as a Seal Part 1

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart

Post by metoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:11 pm

metoo wrote:Well, metoo. I'd say just for the fun of writing it. [...] Anyway, just start writing it and see what turns up.
Why should I write your story? Why don't you write it yourself?

My objectives for writing stories about O&E has been what I call immersion exercises - a way to get into the world of LtROI when reading the novel and watching the film didn't do it anymore. But in order to write I have to believe in the plot, and getting unnecessary passports is something I don't believe O&E would do. Passports are useful for interacting with official society, but O&E would avoid that.

To tell the truth, I find it's very hard to write anything involving O&E these days, since their lives would be so uneventful and repetitive:
Arrive to a new place. Find a hideabout. Feed on some unlucky poor guy or gal once a week, roughly, and hide the corpse well enough afterwards. Play some games. Read some books. Stay well below the radar of the public and the authorities. Leave the current place for a new one before things might become too hot. Repeat ad infinitum.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:22 pm

No, I mean write your story. It wound not be:
Arrive to a new place. Find a hideabout. Feed on some unlucky poor guy or gal once a week, roughly, and hide the corpse well enough afterwards. Play some games. Read some books. Stay well below the radar of the public and the authorities. Leave the current place for a new one before things might become too hot. Repeat ad infinitum.
Why not? Because that would just be Eli's life before Oskar. And because you would heed GK's advice (to me) to listen gently to your muse. Then, voila! Things happen.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:56 pm

dongregg wrote:Why not? Because that would just be Eli's life before Oskar. And because you would heed GK's advice (to me) to listen gently to your muse. Then, voila! Things happen.
I'm sorry, dongregg, but you are not my muse.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:11 pm

metoo wrote:
dongregg wrote:Why not? Because that would just be Eli's life before Oskar. And because you would heed GK's advice (to me) to listen gently to your muse. Then, voila! Things happen.
I'm sorry, dongregg, but you are not my muse.
Well, I am not your muse, but I hope that I a-muse you. What GK suggested was for me to listen to my muse, not to him. I just passed on the idea, which is to listen to your muse, not to me. And remember the "listen gently" part.

It occurs to me that you know more about the world of LTROI than anyone else of the forum. Perhaps you have equals, but none surpasses your expertise. To that I say, "If you want to know what cannot be done, ask an expert. :? If you want to know what can be done, ask an amateur. :wub: "

I hope you will continue to share real-world things about Sweden. Your input helped to ground this tale, and I would love to incorporate more of your knowledge into it.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:52 pm

metoo wrote:
metoo wrote:Well, metoo. I'd say just for the fun of writing it. [...] Anyway, just start writing it and see what turns up.
To tell the truth, I find it's very hard to write anything involving O&E these days, since their lives would be so uneventful and repetitive:
Well that's why it's called fan fiction. We've obviously seen that their lives are not uneventful and repetitive after seeing the work of great FF writers such as dongregg. What might be a cool idea is if they actually get captured somehow and have to fight their way out. I'm not an amazing fiction writer or brainstormer, but I know in the world of LTROI there are many possibilities for great FFs. Now, if the story was resolved already such as I don't know... Harry Potter or something, then it's a different story. JAL has left the story wide open to FF.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 pm

epicfan84 wrote:...What might be a cool idea is if they actually get captured somehow and have to fight their way out. I'm not an amazing fiction writer or brainstormer, but I know in the world of LTROI there are many possibilities for great FFs...JAL has left the story wide open to FF.
Something like this? From PeteMork's The Eli Chronicles, Chapter 33:

WHERE...IS...HE!!!

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 am

dongregg wrote:
epicfan84 wrote:...What might be a cool idea is if they actually get captured somehow and have to fight their way out. I'm not an amazing fiction writer or brainstormer, but I know in the world of LTROI there are many possibilities for great FFs...JAL has left the story wide open to FF.
Something like this? From PeteMork's The Eli Chronicles, Chapter 33:

WHERE...IS...HE!!!
There's a 33 part chronicle FF? That's freaking amazing. What's it titled under?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 am

It's not actually 33 chapters. It's...wait for it...64 chapters!

It's by PeteMork, and Daniel Ether drew a lot of illustrations for it.

I believe this is the story that Daniel also made into a lovingly bound book for PeteMork.

It's a lovely, engaging, often heart-stopping story by a great writer. (My obscure reference on this thread to Oskar flying into a car windshield is a nod to one of the chapters.)

Try this URL http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... chronicles

Otherwise, go to Fan Fiction Master Index - A - I (on the Fan Fiction page) and scroll down to it.

I am so grateful for PeteMork. His huge oeuvre is why I call "Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart" a slight work. Not to put it down, but just compared to the many multi-chapter works that you'll find on the forum.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 am

epicfan84 wrote:Well that's why it's called fan fiction. We've obviously seen that their lives are not uneventful and repetitive after seeing the work of great FF writers such as dongregg. What might be a cool idea is if they actually get captured somehow and have to fight their way out. I'm not an amazing fiction writer or brainstormer, but I know in the world of LTROI there are many possibilities for great FFs. Now, if the story was resolved already such as I don't know... Harry Potter or something, then it's a different story. JAL has left the story wide open to FF.
Well, to write fan fiction poses the same problem as writing a sequel: How to make an exciting story? So the writer adds exciting stuff, and soon the story isn't about the original characters anymore. What I find hard is to write something that feels like a continuation of LtROI, not just a spin-off. I have written lots of fan fiction (here, here, and here), and some of those stories I wouldn't write today because they diverge more than I like from what I (today) consider true to LtROI. My LtROI, that is. Yours may be different.

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:22 am

dongregg wrote:It's not actually 33 chapters. It's...wait for it...64 chapters!

It's by PeteMork, and Daniel Ether drew a lot of illustrations for it.

I believe this is the story that Daniel also made into a lovingly bound book for PeteMork.

It's a lovely, engaging, often heart-stopping story by a great writer. (My obscure reference on this thread to Oskar flying into a car windshield is a nod to one of the chapters.)

Try this URL http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... chronicles

Otherwise, go to Fan Fiction Master Index - A - I (on the Fan Fiction page) and scroll down to it.

I am so grateful for PeteMork. His huge oeuvre is why I call "Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart" a slight work. Not to put it down, but just compared to the many multi-chapter works that you'll find on the forum.
Wow... That is just amazing... I really admire the effort. This is why I love this community so much! Everyone cares so deeply about the story and showing off their spin to it. Love it, love it, love it.

Return to “Fan Fiction”