A One-off Vignette (Maybe?)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: A One-off Vignette

Post by dongregg » Sat May 16, 2015 1:22 am

Drakeule wrote:I liked it. I had thoughts for a ff myself that would have started this way. If i had any writing skills at all.
Hi again Drakeule. Been wondering when you would post a second time.

I'm glad you liked the sketch. Are you the Drakeule who's into boats and boating? I have puzzled over how to get O & E from one place to another when it involved long trips over water. If you want to use my sketch as a starting point -- maybe Eli gets a clue that Oskar has split for an overseas destination and goes after him -- then feel free to rework my sketch anyway you want to. Hey, all of these ideas are John Ajvide Lindqvist's (often by way of Tomas Alfredson's film), so we all just make sure we respect JAL and don't make any copyright claims. So you can borrow freely from anything I've written. It's just all put out there for us to enjoy and to spend some time with our little vampire kids.

"If i had any writing skills ..." Not required. Just write the way you want to and you can be sure it will be met with gratitude.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat May 16, 2015 1:39 am

Jameron wrote:That was really nice, my kind of story :D

I'm glad you've acknowledged that you can't leave it there, you know you can't. You know that thoughts and ideas of how to continue will nag away at you until you put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, until there is a little more, and then a little bit more, and then lots more. We, your grateful audience, will lap it up and cry for more at every chapter's end.

"Oh bother." (Winnie the Pooh)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Sat May 16, 2015 2:31 am

No. Not into boating. Buy definitely into JAL. Read LTROI a few months ago. Sense then I've read everything else that has been translated to english twice. Can't get enough. Now I'm sopping up as much ff as you guys can put down. Even started reading Firestarter for the first time. Not JAL but you know why... But like I said I'm no writer. I may get the nerve one day. Until then I'll leave it to the pros. Just glad i found the right place.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Perhaps we can convince dongregg to give us a second part, but have it be from Oskar's point of view 8-)
Wull, I tried one approach. Eli returns to the basement room and finds Oskar's note (folded up under the Rubik's cube, of course). It didn't work. Too much telling, not enough showing.

This could be the start of a story. I don't deny it. But the story has to find me, not me find the story. And yet, my dear friends, you have got stuff percolating in my head, so who knows?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun May 17, 2015 2:31 pm

This vignette is so short that it would have fit into Little Funny Fictions, but the only funny part was, "If he had gone out just now, immediately after waking, his impression on the pallet would still be cool to the touch." Get it? Vampires are cold. Okay, not necessarily. I was just thinking about the bed scene from the film. But the idea was funny to me. :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue May 19, 2015 8:40 pm

dongregg wrote:This could be the start of a story. I don't deny it. But the story has to find me, not me find the story. And yet, my dear friends, you have got stuff percolating in my head, so who knows?
Okay, I'm writing. It's good. It follows. But it still isn't a story. It's not going to get far enough to become self-sustaining if my muse doesn't hand me a story arc I can work with. Just Oskar and Eli mooning over each other and being sad to be alone is not a story.

But at least the next vignette is done, as seen through Oskar's eyes. Sometime in the not too distant future, I'll know what the story is. I'll be glad to begin posting it in pieces when I know that I have what I need to see it through.

Ideas welcome.

One last thing -- my apology to little StrayAway. Yes, Ily, our hearts beat as one when we talk about film Eli, and film Eli is all I have. Eli is a grrl, and a very girly grrl, in the film. Det bara är så. But Eli in this as-yet-unnamed tale is a boy. That's just how my muse wants it. Förlåt.

Drakeule

Re: A One-off Vignette (Maybe?)

Post by Drakeule » Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 am

I'd love to spot you a few ideas. I'm just think you're the happy ending type. Go with mine and not so much. But they are on the table if you change you're mind.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 am

If not I'm scared i will have to write my version. I have never but it won't be pretty.

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed May 20, 2015 6:03 am

I wrote this from Oskar's point of view.

So.....

I left.

What do you want me to do?

I can't go back. I can't. I can't die.

I am not twelve.

I am tired of puzzles, cuddles, hugs, darkness, reading Romeo and Juliet for the hundred time.

Is no fun, hiding the key, pretending that I care about you, that you won't comeback at night.

I can't go out, but you can, not during the day, not during the night.

They might discover you, they might take you away.

I am 15 now. I want to go back. I am going to comeback. I am going home, with my mom. Don't worry I won't say anything about you. I am sure in time you will find someone else to replace me.

Why should I say goodbye?

If you have left me alone, and left so many times and not even left a note.

So goodnight, good luck.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 am

Drakeule wrote:I'd love to spot you a few ideas. I'm just think you're the happy ending type. Go with mine and not so much. But they are on the table if you change you're mind.
Nah. I'm more into excitement and cliffhanger endings than bad stuff. In the next scene (Oskar's, already written), you will find that Oskar has been suggesting locations that (unspoken) happen to take them closer to Blackeberg. One or both of them there would put me on familiar ground (from the film and from photos). I have to be careful here, though, because I don't want another crime wave that would conflict with Karin's story in LTODD. Two vampire children in Blackeberg would quickly cause the bodies to pile up. So maybe it's Oskar in Blackeberg for a chapter and Eli elsewhere. I'm very respectful of the canon. And although I'm open to scary ideas, no way I'll write a story in which the kids meet a bad end. Otherwise, how would they ever get to Barcelona and get to enjoy its famous night life? Party on, dudes. Anyway, I can't keep the story in and around Blackeberg long because I want to use Google Maps to learn more about other parts of Sweden. I would also feel comfortable having them pass through areas of Europe I'm personally familiar with. Think of Edinburgh and it's spooky past (Burke and Hare anyone?). And Oskar can never appreciate the harshness and limitations of Eli's past life unless he (or they?) go semi-feral at some point and haunt a heavily forested area. Every student who goes hiking in Sweden doesn't make it back to school, I reckon. Bears. Wolves. And children of the night.

But you, dear Drakeule, have a story just bursting to get out, don't you? You do, right? Go for it. I'm sure your story will see the light of day sooner than mine. I'm slow, and I consider myself a student of GK's meticulous way of learning an area before writing about it. Pretty sure I'll never be the writer he is, but I can get better at it than I am now.
Last edited by dongregg on Sat May 23, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fan Fiction”