A One-off Vignette (Maybe?)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: A One-off Vignette (Maybe?)

Post by dongregg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:53 am

But yes! "Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart" has been moderated and posted. Enjoy!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:29 pm

“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:06 am

Some more comments:

The root cellar. I suppose you envisioned it like this, dongregg:

This is entirely likely. However, often Swedish root cellars would be dug into a hillside. Only the vaulted roof and the front wall would be manmade, like this:

Google for "jordkällare" for more pictures.

====

Another subject. In many fan fiction, one of mine as well, Oskar and Eli "hunt". However, these days I find it hard to believe that they would use that word. They would need to talk about it, of course, but I think they would rather use some neutral euphemism. Like the one Eli uses in the novel, for instance: "getting food".

====

And now for some unimportant nit picking. ;-)

"As planned, he takes a heading of due east using the heavy cover of forest to conceal his mile-eating pace."
By the looks, the forest of the area consists mainly of fir trees, which creates a rather open forest. No heavy cover. This makes the forest easy to walk through, though, and Oskar would be able to keep a brisk pace.

====

Finally:

Why didn't Oskar purchase a compass, too, in addition to the map? :think:

It's not unlikely that he would have known how to use it. Orienteering is a popular sport in Sweden, and Oskar might very well have been taught the grounds at the gym lessons in school. (The yearly competition and event O-Ringen regularly counts more than ten thousand participants. The record, in 1985, was 24 995!)
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:12 pm

Great comments.

My version of Eli's story has her trying to live an urban life because the forests, vast as they are, were getting crowded with the 10,000 orienteers and assorted campers from Denmark.

I've used a compass to line up a near feature to a far one so I would have a route that works going and coming ("Stay found"). Oskar knows about compasses the same way he knows how people get lost. He reads a lot. He would have to use a compass in cloudy weather, but a glance at Polaris would be a quicker reference that looking down at a compass, although second magnitude Polaris would be dimmed further by the twilight.

The picture of the jordkällare I modeled mine on is, upon mature reflection, definitely dug into a hill. Instead of turf-covered, it's the hill itself that "covers" it. I'll try to find the image again.

Look at the story tomorrow and you will see where I've incorporated your suggestions. I added too much about twilight in the current version, so I'll scale it back.

We all learn a lot from you. Please keep your comments coming!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:12 pm

EEA wrote:I wrote this from Oskar's point of view.

So.....

I left.

What do you want me to do?

I can't go back. I can't. I can't die.

I am not twelve.

I am tired of puzzles, cuddles, hugs, darkness, reading Romeo and Juliet for the hundred time.

Is no fun, hiding the key, pretending that I care about you, that you won't comeback at night.

I can't go out, but you can, not during the day, not during the night.

They might discover you, they might take you away.

I am 15 now. I want to go back. I am going to comeback. I am going home, with my mom. Don't worry I won't say anything about you. I am sure in time you will find someone else to replace me.

Why should I say goodbye?

If you have left me alone, and left so many times and not even left a note.

So goodnight, good luck.
Dear EEA. This is a terrific set of ideas. Plausible and very touching. The story went elsewhere in "Set Me as a Seal," but I continue to think about your ideas. Much appreciated.

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Thank you. ;) I have a bunch of ideas that come and go. I try to write most of them down, but some get lost. I might try to write more about this one later during November. Mostly working on my LTROI stories for Halloween. :).
Update: had an idea to incorporate this ff idea into another story, so I decided to write it out. That's how my mind works, if I find an idea I need to finish it before it leaves my thoughts. :mrgreen:

Here is the thread to the story:

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=9120

Return to “Fan Fiction”