My fan fiction revisited - A new Life

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: My fan fiction revisited - A new Life

Post by metoo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:21 pm

I have some catching up to do, so: Frisbee

Being super fast and super strong would change the preconditions of playing. E&O might play the games normal kids play, but in a very different manner. And occasionally, someone would observe them.

However...

A question is whether Eliform vampires' enhanced strength has any limits. This story assumes there are none, but maybe this is not so. Wouldn't using vampire super power be more taxing one the energy reserves than just walking around at a normal pace? Healing seems to have this limitation, so wouldn't other super abilities have too? If so, O&E maybe wouldn't play like they do in this story very often, since it would require them to feed more frequently. Feeding vampire-wise is depressing and risky business, and they likely would want not to do it more often than absolutely necessary.

I don't know. I do like the image of Oskar and Eli playing with frisbees, but I also like the idea of them having limitations. That vampire life isn't particularly glorious is rather clearly stated by the novel, so a limit on expenditure of vampire energy would be in accordance with it.

However, I no longer subscribe to the ending where O&E walk away with the onlooker. I think they would be extremely cautious of people knowing about them and their peculiarities. And I don't think they would need any friends but each other - at least I think they would think so themselves. They would be too closely knit to let anyone else in, just like Stefan and Karin.
Last edited by metoo on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 am

Detective Agency Oskareli

Eli's fortune is really large, and I have felt an urge to explain it. This story is a result of that urge. It is a good story, but alas I don't consider it true to the universe of LtROI anymore. O&E's actions are too spectacular, and draws people's attention too much. O&E would avoid doing spectacular things, and would always stay in the shadows. Literally.

I also think the plot of O&E spying on organised criminals and finally robbing them to be a little too unrealistic. Their means to do so would be very limited indeed.

This, of course, leaves the question about how Eli got his money unanswered. But he told Oskar that they had been given to him, and I think he had stopped lying to Oskar then. So I conclude that someone actually gave Eli a couple of hundred thousand Swedish kronor in paper money. And that it happened rather recently, in the 1970s - the absence of old money indicates this.

But I still like the scene where the little girl (who actually might have been Oskar, dressed up) grabbed the briefcase, literally tore it off the hand of that guy, and disappeared. All in one swift go. And I also like that O&E made it a playful game.
Last edited by metoo on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Sweet Kids
I felt that there was a need to show what vampires really are about. I wanted to write a proper horror story, and make it doubly horrible. This is the result.

At the time I wrote this story, I figured that Eli would feel they had no choice but to kill the kids too, when they had killed the mother. I also had the idea that he wouldn't want to waste their deaths. Today I probably would have made E&O handle the kids differently.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:45 pm

A Bullies’ Nemesis

A very short story. I'm contemplating what I think of "Occasionally, when they like now were living among people, they tried to connect with peers, that is, roughly twelve years old children." Although I do think that they would literally hide in the shadows almost all the time, they might interact with other children now and then. Mostly, I think, they would look for groups of kids plying games that O&E wouldn't be able to play on their own. However, given Oskar's prior experiences, he might have a keen eye for lonesome kids.

This story also reflects the opinion I had at the time that Eli would feel regrets for what he did in the bath house. Not for killing J&J, but for the bestiality he displayed. As I've written before in this thread, I have changed my mind. Eli would feel little if any regrets about ripping the heads off J&J. Rather, he would relive his anguish and wrath when thinking back at the bath house, and feel that whatever he did to J&J was just.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Monster

I originally wrote this as a very short story. Then I extended it, and put some more flesh onto those bones. The result is a real horror story, and harbours more monsters than you initially may expect...

And I still am very pleased with that last line!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:49 pm

metoo wrote:Monster

I originally wrote this as a very short story. Then I extended it, and put some more flesh onto those bones. The result is a real horror story, and harbours more monsters than you initially may expect...

As well you should be. Nice little story.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:54 am

metoo wrote:Monster

Yes! I've always liked this one.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Canoe Vacation

Yet another story that I wrote to show what having O&E around would mean to people. Re-reading it, I find I'm not particularly happy about it's execution. I don't know, it just feel uninteresting, a succession of images that are too predictable. Oh, well.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Beach Life

I had the idea to present Oskar and Eli as kids doing kid things, and then encountering a group of other kids, most of whom are younger. What kind of interaction would they have?

And of course I had to introduce a bully, for our friends to chase away. ;-)

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Territory

I had the idea to write about O&E encountering another infected person. Someone who doesn't want any competition in the territory he has marked out for himself.

About the last sentence: At the time I had the idea that Oskar and Eli would feel very constrained and controlled by the infection during the periods of hunger, and that they consequently would feel free when they could just be kids. But today I think their existence would be much more complicated and multi-faceted than so.

Return to “Fan Fiction”