A Shadow Rises

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

A Shadow Rises

Post by sauvin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Elysse comes clean about her past.

In an earlier story, Elysse came clean about her name. I wasn't thinking very much about it, then, her just coming out of left field with this "my name isn't what you think it is" was just Elysse suddenly realising that Orson probably knew her far better than anybody ever had before (that she could remember), and felt funny about having him calling her by a false name. Having Orson react the way he did was just a cheap ploy to suggest there's more to this little girl than meets our eyes or his, and that there might be something more to hide than just that "which she is become".

There was speculation surrounding this in the discussion thread, and at the time, it just didn't seem important, so I basically quipped "Aw, come on, a girl has to have a few secrets, doesn't she?", thus relieving me of the responsibility of creating yet more backstory.

As Dracula observes, "the blood is the life", isn't it? Oskar had been baptised in the blood if his enemies, as had Owen. No clue what Abby's story is, and Eli's (according to canon) is murky enough to leave all sorts of storytelling doors open. Orson, it seems, was also so baptised, but Elysse doesn't have to be such a mystery.

As if being a tween isn't confusing enough in a million different ways, let's let Elysse struggle with some pretty heavy memories.

Some notes:

I tagged it "LMI", because the software requires a primary tag, but Elysse is neither Abby nor Eli (it's not even clear that she's a vampire), nor is Orson Oscar or Owen. This story probably drifts quite a bit further afield than does anything else I've written.

It's also unfinished. I wrote a little, proofread a little, wrote a bit more, proofread a bit more, and when my eyes started going funny, and I realised I wasn't sure where to go next, I yelled "!@#%@$!!", copied it out of the word processor, pasted it into the forum software, and let the bits and pieces fall wherever they may.

More will be coming after I can get my eyes to point together again, and I'm less inclined to yell "!@#%@$!!".

These kids don't speak English between themselves when they're alone, unless they're practising. Exactly how they wound up in the Anglosphere is a mystery to me. They're French, or something rather close, but have a care! French is spoken around the world, and has been spoken for many centuries on continental Europe in enclaves large and small outside the present French borders. As with any other widely flung language, it has its dialects, some of which are partially mutually incomprehensible.

I chose to have Elysse jabbering away in something resembling early Modern English for the sake of fairly easy verisimilitude. Even if I could (I can't), it wouldn't benefit anybody to have her babbling away in whatever form of French might have been prevalent around the time the meat of the story took place. Even if I could (and I'm far from sure about this), it wouldn't have done most forum members any good for me to write the silly thing in modern French.

This brings a few small problems to people who can understand only fully modern English, chiefly in the forms of address and of subjunctives.

Forms of address? Briefly, if I say "Are ye not well?", I'm implicitly putting a "Sir" or "Madam" in there somewhere; it's formal, and if used wrongly, can be insulting. Likewise, if I say "Art thou not well?", there's a "dude" in there somewhere; this is how family and close friends address each other, and if you can see yourself walking up to the King or the Prince and asking "Hey, dude, can you (canst thou) spare me a smoke?", power to you, but it's still just wrong. A professor might say "thou", "thee" and "thine" to a freshman, but said freshman needs to answer "you", "ye" and "your". I usually used "ye" in place of "you", even though this is incorrect, just to keep the accent going.

Subjunctive? Again, the other languages I can speak or read all have them, except that English uses them only very rarely. One example of a subjective is when you say "It's imporant that he go"; it's grammatically incorrect to say "It's important that he goes". Subjunctives are often used to express uncertainty or conditions contrary to established fact - "If I were rich" (but I'm not); more elusively, "If I be rich" (although common practise is just to say "If I'm rich"). "If I be rich", one could wonder, "why do I not have enough cash to buy myself a hamburger?"

In the story, this line appears:
Elysse wrote:“Ye say unto me that we been wedded one unto the other!?”
It's less grammatically incorrect than speakers of modern English might believe at first glance. Once upon a time, in early modern English, there had still remained an agreement between subject and verb form, much more so than is presently the case. I be, thou beest, and for all I know, he beeth. This is a subjunctive (probably contrived), and if rendered into modern street English faithfully might have come out more as "Yea, right, my [butt] we're married!"

To this very day, I can't follow the King James version of the Bible. I get lost in all these 'hither' and 'thither' and 'whereupon', and suchlike, and so on. A great deal of the English-like language is drawn more from the German I knew as a child. I cry pardon, in other words, to those gentle readers to whom bringeth this strange speech pain. If it's any consolation, writing it gave me a skull-popping headache.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

a_contemplative_life

Re: A Shadow Emerges

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Can't wait :)

EEA

Post by EEA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Cool. :)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:08 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Can't wait :)
Neither can I, actually, and in retrospect, after a few people have read it and commented, maybe I'll have a clearer fix on where it needs to go next. Oh, and metoo, if you see anachronisms or suchlike, you're certainly welcome to comment, but you can expect me to use LOTS of big words that amount to a hot steaming pile of PppPpbbBbbTT!

PeteMork

Re: A Shadow Rises

Post by PeteMork » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:46 am

A new Sauvin tale! I, too, can't wait.

In case anyone's confused, here are links to the first three in the series:

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -the-night

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -the-night

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... en-shadows
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:10 pm

It's cleared and available to read.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:59 pm

In my opinion, this is by far your best yet. Elysse’s POV is vivid, stark, and heart-breaking, told as it is in an almost detached way, as it would be in the case of someone who has, consciously or unconsciously, accepted the reality and finality of it all. And in the midst of this, are these little gems of genius on your part:
“One day an host of men was come. Their mares were dark and huge, as houses, and on their shields they bore the mark of their king and god. Theirs was a speech of barks and coughs. They were come without goods or boons to trade.
Out of the mouth of a naïve 12-year-old child.

“Aye. No greater wrong beneath the sun, no worse evil can man do, than that he eat the flesh of his brother, or drink his blood. Ere that day, I thought it evil to steal eggs from my father's brother's hens!”
This one almost made me cry. Innocence lost, on the grandest of scales.

. Since we wrote naught, it is as if my folk had never been, save that there now lie beyond a great sea a land wherein can be found hills whose bones are as much from men as from stone, and that one of the daughters of mine home liveth yet who can and must give folk naught but their deaths.
The loss of her entire way of life, her inheritance, her future, and her own soul, all in this one sentence. Beautifully written!

“When at last men began again to set foot onto the earth of mine home, and I saw that these new men were not of the same land wherefrom came the strange men, and that they brought with them their women and their children, I hid away. They brought with them no craft of war; rather, they brought ploughs and butter churns and looms. Very strange was their speech, such that I understood them not, yet did I also understand that these folk were as mine, and that they wanted nothing more than what I had lost.
And life goes on, leaving her behind with her curse, among those who under other circumstances might have been her friends and neighbors. How terribly sad!

I don’t know where this came from, but my hat’s off to you. This moved me in so many ways. And Elysse’s character, already well-defined, now has even more depth.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

PeteMork wrote:Out of the mouth of a naïve 12-year-old child.
How naive do you suppose she was, and in what ways?

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm

This tale is very good, indeed!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:29 pm

sauvin wrote:
PeteMork wrote:Out of the mouth of a naïve 12-year-old child.
How naive do you suppose she was, and in what ways?
Naïve largely in the sense that her entire world, confined as it was to such a small area and relatively isolated, was naïve with regard to the cold harsh world that surrounded them. Naïve also in the implication that she was quite unused to hearing other languages spoken, or seeing armored men on horseback. Her world as she described it seemed to be orderly and gentle. As, apparently, was her language itself when compared with the 'barks and coughs' of the invaders'.

Is that what you were trying to say here? Or did I interpret it wrong? :think:

Just a thought: Do you think Elysse would understand what OK means? Or is this just supposed to be a translation of an old French idiom?

Return to “Fan Fiction”