Letters

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
a_contemplative_life

Re: Letters

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:26 am

Wolfchild wrote:I did a little update to this piece. I fixed a few things that have been bugging me about it and also tried to address some valid criticism that it has received.

I also find that I am having second thoughts about this story in general. For me this story - the novel in particular - is about Oskar's escape from Blackeberg. I thought that logically Oskar would embrace fully the means of that escape, and the natural way for him embrace it fully would be for him to be turned.

However, now I feel mindful that this story is sort of autobiographical of JAL's childhood in Blackeberg. Taking liberties with Oskar is something like taking liberties with JAL's life story. Tomas Alfredson pointed out that a child who is tormented like Oskar was must have a lot of anger built up inside. The Eli character is the embodiment of that anger. I am now wondering if my story is really symbolizing Oskar instead embracing that anger.

I don't know JAL, but my sense is that if he harbored any anger from his childhood, he has certainly not embraced it. I sort of feel that by having Oskar choose to be turned, I am somehow misrepresenting John Ajvide Lindqvist. :oops:
I wouldn't get too upset about it. You can't put out a piece of fiction that's autobiographical under the surface and not expect people who enjoy it to want to interpret it in different ways, especially with an ending as ambiguous as LTROI. If it were a true autobiography, then obviously it would be very strange to be adding on events to the author's life that never happened. Things would be much more sacrosanct because you'd be altering the life story of a real person. But that's not really what we have in this case. Of course, if you want to take the approach you've described out of some deference to JAL as a person, that's perfectly acceptable, too. I don't think there is a clear right or wrong answer here.

My own take on Oskar, incidentally, is actually very similar to yours. I never have seen him as really embracing the concept of going out and doing the things that Eli does in a wholehearted way. I think he'd do it if it was the only way he could remain in love with Eli, probably, but even there I think it'd be hard on him. My 2 cents' worth.

lombano

Post by lombano » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 am

Wolfchild wrote:Taking liberties with Oskar is something like taking liberties with JAL's life story.
No it is not. The novel and the film each exist in their own right, regardless of the events that inspired them. At least, my take on fanfiction is that one writes one's take on the original story, not what one thinks the author would or should write, it's not about pretending to be the author (I'm not saying anyone here is trying to do that). I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me the whole point of fanfiction is to write one's take on the story (so that for me it is like an extension of the discussions we have), and that that need not be faithful to JAL's life.
Bli mig lite.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 am

Just got round to reading this. Yeah, I know, it took me long enough :lol:

I'd just like to say, thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Wolfchild, I finally ran across this by browsing (drowning in, more like) stories in a_c_l's indices. Your story is beyond brilliant. It is especially meaningful to me because, once again, it puts choice at the center of Oskar and Eli's story. To me, choice is what redeems LTROI--the two least likely candidates to be in a relationship stumble into one, and in the end--come what may--Eli chooses to return to Oskar, and they choose to go away together. It is less important to me whether that was a wise choice or a doomed one. We aren't given to know the outcome of our choices. As I wrote elsewhere, "What will happen to them? Good stuff. Bad stuff. Life will happen to them."

To not choose is also a choice. In your story, all of the information is laid out for Oskar in exquisite detail, and all his thoughts, self-doubts, fears, and hopes are there for us to see, too. What I'm saying is, it's just a ripping good story you've penned, one that carries forward the redeeming quality of LTROI--choice. Oskar and Eli chose life when they left Blackeberg. Now they must choose love. That is, they each must choose the shape that their love will take. For Eli, it means allowing Oskar to make his own decision; and for Oskar, it means he must decide what to give up forever in order to be with Eli at the age they now are. That, or to grow older and eventually lose Eli. Two children making an adult decision, one far more portentous than just running away together.

Thank you for doing what it took to pen this story.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm

BUMP for new members.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:33 am

Better late than never.I loved this story.It explains so nicely why Eli would not kill herself.How could she kill herself when she hasn't lived yet.Also it shows the not very nice side of what she and Oscar will have to do to live.Only a deep love would allow Oskar to ask to be infected as it was for Eli to explain what that would entail..It's lovely Wolfchild and thanks so much for sharing. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Fan Fiction”