Soccer

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: Soccer

Post by metoo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Okay, finished translating and uploading the last third of this story. Phew!

It is immediately available:
Fotboll, or Soccer.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

intrige

Post by intrige » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:58 pm

I loved the last part. It was really exiting and well written. Bravo!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Cool story.

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Yeah, cool. Last part is like detective story. I think if Oskar did appeared outside Svend's window, he would get cold feet :lol:
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Clubmeister wrote:Yeah, cool. Last part is like detective story. I think if Oskar did appeared outside Svend's window, he would get cold feet :lol:
Or a wet bed.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:08 am

Very fun story to read! It reminded me very much of myself growing up. My pops was an independent contractor when I was a kid so we moved around often. I was in a different school every year until I was 15, and playing sports was how I made friends during that time. Even though they are happy being together, it makes sense that Oskar and Eli would want some kind of interaction with other kids. They are kids! I liked the end too, I had the feeling that they knew they were being followed. And then Oskar pokes his head out silently tells the boy "Don't you say an effin word!" I loved it!
She touched my soul and now I bear her sentence. But, for her love, I'll gladly pay

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks.

Yes, I've had the idea for some time that O&E would want to play with other kids from time to time. There are games that can only be played in larger constellations, and even life with your most beloved friend might become boring at times.

Another idea presented here is that it's easier to approach a group if you are two, than if you're just single. Being turned down is easier to bear when you're two, it's less personal, so you become more daring. I think both Oskar and Eli would have benefited from this. Having one very good friend is a key to finding other friends.

BTW, not all gangs would be as inviting as Svend and his mates. I've explored this in another story.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:46 am

Svend is one lucky lucky adventurer! Approaching the pair's lair, even if by accident would likely lead to an unfortunate outcome. To have been left dwelling on the mystery, wondering if it every really happened, is a good ending, as well as rather like a gift from Eli and Oskar.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:... Approaching the pair's lair, even if by accident would likely lead to an unfortunate outcome. ...
Hmm, I doubt the likeliness of that. To feed on a friend or even just an aquaintance would, I think, seem distasteful to them. And as long as there is no immediate threat, there would be little need for violence. It would be much more efficient for them just to run.

Svend, of course, would know nothing of that...

Anyway, the threat of becoming exposed would always hang over O&E. They might not think of it constantly, but it would still be there as a grim and all to plausible outcome of their activities. Being supernaturally strong would not help them in front of an army. Fighting therefore is not a solution, only running is, and they would have to do that a lot, just to stay at the safe side.

I tried to weave these thoughts into the ending of the present ff, but it is a good subject for a separate story. I might give it a try.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 am

Oh, I had not thought they would feed on Svend. Rather that if Svend - or anyone for that matter - got too close, that things could end badly.

You are right, they would rather flee than fight. Yet it is the inadvertent event of stumbling upon them that could be very dangerous.

I liked how well Svend was able to follow them without their noticing. Sometimes we write FF material imagining them able to hear every pin drop. Here, they are strolling along unawares. That seemed rather likely.

Return to “Fan Fiction”