Voices Alone

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
lombano

Re: Voices Alone

Post by lombano » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 am

Wolfchild wrote:I'm surprised that noone has complained about my take on Håkan. :?
It's not incompatible with the film - Eli is colder towards him in your version than I would say the film is, but still not by so much as to be contradictory.
Bli mig lite.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 am

cmfireflies wrote:Although maybe you could have taken advantage of Eli's POV more and tell us how she settled on that Romero and Juliet quote.
Well, the note doesn't actually get written during any of the scene in the film, so I haven't really considered Eli's thoughts while writing it. However I have been using the literal note translation as sort the mantra for Eli's inner vampire voice. I posted a bit more - I got Eli as far as nomming Virgina and I used a bit of it there as well.

I had a lot of fun writing the basement scene. It never really struck me before but, this is the first scene where we actually see Eli looking almost happy, and it was fun trying to inject some humor and a sense of hopefulness into her thoughts.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I think the place where non-Swedish speakers miss out more than any other is the basement scene. I think that the lyrics to Agnetha Fältskog's song Försonade (the one the Eli plays on the tape player) really add a sort of meta-dialog that is both expressive and ironic. I almost wish they had been included in the English subtitles.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:42 pm

It's very good, Wolfie, I particularly liked your take on the bed scene, with its tenderness - even though I interpret Eli's questions differently, I take the view she'd know what the words mean from the radio, tv, etc, but wanted to know what exactly Oskar sought. Actually, I'm reminded of the window scene in Romeo & Juliet, he complains about 'leaving so unsatisfied', she asks what further satisfaction he's looking for and he replies he wants her promise to love him (not sex, as is implied she was thinking). Could Eli have been reminded of Romeo and Juliet precisely because of that scene?
Bli mig lite.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:31 am

I got two more scenes done. I think these are the hardest. The "Invite Me In" scene I started from scratch three times. LOL

Now just four more to go.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Struan

Post by Struan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:25 am

Wolfchild wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention that I think the place where non-Swedish speakers miss out more than any other is the basement scene. I think that the lyrics to Agnetha Fältskog's song Försonade (the one the Eli plays on the tape player) really add a sort of meta-dialog that is both expressive and ironic. I almost wish they had been included in the English subtitles.
After watching the song with English lyrics here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFvl_ERBOs

I agree -- it adds so much to the scene. The music choices for this film are really genius as to how they enhance the mood. "A Flash in the Night" haunted my waking hours for a long time.
In a gloomy empty land, with dreary hills ahead.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 pm

I finally have gotten this little project finished up and posted. In conjunction with finishing it, I worked up my own little scenario about what I think happened at the pool. I have posted it as an article on my web page.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:40 am

"I'm so glad to see you, too. I love you."

This says it all, far as I'm concerned! :D

Interesting twist, that you have Mr. Avila ordering Eli to go inside the pool! But, we always knew he was one of the good guys! :lol:

Liked the little inner dialogue as Eli took out Jimmy and Conny. Don't mess with my friend!

Now that all of this is done, I'll have to go back and re-read it from start to finish. Just to get the gestalt.

HonzaP

Post by HonzaP » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:19 am

Wolfchild wrote:I finally have gotten this little project finished up and posted. In conjunction with finishing it, I worked up my own little scenario about what I think happened at the pool. I have posted it as an article on my web page.
the possible reason why the head ended on the other side of the pool, was because Eli didn't rip his head off, but by using all her strength she stroke his head by her hand/claw that the head simply flew away off his neck :)
Phillip J. Fry: "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life."

"It is the nature of men to create monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

hillerr

Post by hillerr » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Struan wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention that I think the place where non-Swedish speakers miss out more than any other is the basement scene. I think that the lyrics to Agnetha Fältskog's song Försonade (the one the Eli plays on the tape player) really add a sort of meta-dialog that is both expressive and ironic. I almost wish they had been included in the English subtitles.
After watching the song with English lyrics here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFvl_ERBOs

I agree -- it adds so much to the scene. The music choices for this film are really genius as to how they enhance the mood. "A Flash in the Night" haunted my waking hours for a long time.
Thanks for the link Struan, that scene says a little more now that I know the translation to English.

a_contemplative_life

Re: Voices Alone-Favorite Passages

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 am

I was re-reading Wolf's story today and thought I'd post my favorite passages. The highlighting is mine.

Say That l Can Come In

I'm getting warm now. You are warming me Oskar. On the inside, too. Did you know that?

. . .

Do you like this as much as I do? Being here I'm not worrying about anything. I'm not worrying about feeding, or the sun, or listening for anyone coming, or worrying about anyone finding me. I feel like I can hide here. Nothing bad can find me...

. . .

"So everything's the same?"

Oskar: "Yes."

Oh, okay. I don't know what you're talking about, but as long as it can be like right now, then yes.

"Then we'll go steady."

Oskar: "Huh?"

This must mean you want to be with me. I want that, too. So much.

"It'll be you and me."

Oskar: "Really?"

"Yes."

Oskar: "Good."

'Good'. Yes, it will be 'good'. I don't get things that are 'good'. Except blood. You will be the first 'good' thing since...

...since everything was taken away from me.

He is asleep. It is so strange to touch someone else's skin like this. I'm always hungry when I get this close to anyone. But after Håkan I'm not hungry right now. I smell his blood, feel his heart beat, hear his breathing. But I don't ever want to hurt you. I never will. I just want to touch you, to be close to you. I just want you to be my friend. You didn't like it when I did this before, but now you are asleep. Oskar, hold my hand. Don't ever let it go.

We're Going to Mix

It feels safe here - like in your bedroom. But it's no safer here than anywhere else. I'm not safe; you just make me forget to worry all the time. Maybe that's what I like about you.

Are You a Vampire?

Oskar: "Are you..."

Am I... what?

Oskar: "...dead?"

Dead? Do I look like I'm dead? Only on the inside.

. . .

Oskar: "I should be going home now."

No, I want you to stay. It's okay. Håkan won't be coming back. Now that you know that... what I am, you have to stay. I need you to know that you're my friend. I need you to know that I'd never... drink your blood.

Oskar: "I have flyers to distribute tomorrow."

That doesn't matter. Please Oskar, stay here. Why is that more important? I need to know that you will help me. No, I don't care about that. I need to know that you are really still my friend.

"To make money?"

Oskar: "Um-hmm."

I have money. Money is nothing, but you are important. If it is important to you I can give you all you want. I want to help you since you are my friend.

"I can give you money."

You Have To Invite Me In

Okay Oskar, then I'll have to show you. I'll to prove it to you. I decided to trust you and I will. Now you will see it. If you are really my friend you won't like it. I know you won't let me get hurt. Please, don't let me get hurt. But you are going to believe me. If you aren't my friend... I will die. ...but you have to be my friend. I don't want to think about it if you're not.
I shouldn't do this. But I will show you. I will show you what happens. I will show you what you think you want to see. I will show you that I trust you. I will show you...

No!

Now you watch me, Oskar. It's starting. Here is what you wanted to see.

Oh, this feels...   I should get out!   ...bad.

I will...   stay...   until you see.

Now...   do you believe...   Oskar?

Oskar: "No!"

Oskar: "You can come in!"

Oh, why did I do that? But it feels good for you to hold me close again. It makes it worth it. Well, no it doesn't. Nothing is worth doing that again. But I knew it. I knew you still liked me!

. . .

Don't be mad at me because I kill people. I have to live. You don't know what it's like to be like me.

"Be me a little."

If we are going to be together then you are going to have to know what I am. No secrets. Not from you. You will see. No secrets.

"Please, Oskar..."

You have to understand it all.

"Be me a little."

Washed Clean

So strange that this same old puzzle is more fun now. I guess because I used to do it when I was bored to death. But now I can't wait for tomorrow. Now I just want the time to pass quickly so I can see Oskar again. I wonder if everything will be more fun now. I hope so.

I've Got To Go Away

"Thank you."

Enough! Time to go. No, I can't leave you! Not now! I'll never find another friend like you. I wish I could hold you like this forever. They will come. I can't be here when they do, but... No, I have to go.

"Oskar..."

You know what I'm going to say - don't you?

"I've got to go away."

I will never find anyone else like you. You are the only one who would ever like... or... love me? Do you love me, Oskar? Do I love you? I suppose now I will never know. No, I do think I love you. I want to... I don't know if you will like this or not, but I have to. I will never see you again. So this is goodbye.

Is this okay? You closed your eyes. I guess it's okay. Oh, this is so nice. And it's all.... over... All gone.

Another Cab Ride

I always leave bad things behind me, but this time I'm leaving something good.
The only good thing ever.

The Pool

I'm so glad to see you, too. I love you.

On the Train

It's so strange to be traveling during the day. I could never trust Håkan - or anyone else - like this, Oskar. Only you.

. . .

I don't even care where we're going. I don't want this train to ever stop.

Sorry to be so sentimental.

Return to “Fan Fiction”