Voices Alone

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
Wolfchild

Re: Voices Alone

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm

I posted a few more scenes, starting here.

After this they start to get real difficult for me.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 pm

What can I say? The fan fiction concerning LTROI just gets better and better.

What if it gets better than the original? :o
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
I find myself having the view that vampirism is a continuous burden on Eli. She is child struggling to retain her humanity despite also having inside her a wanton, canny predator ready to slip the leash at any time. I am trying to write in the voice of a twelve year old as I imagine the mind of a twelve year old to be. I want to portray the attention span and concentration powers of a twelve year old. Her predator aspect is always there ready to try to steer her towards its own goals. When her mind is not otherwise engaged, she accustomed to letting her mind flit around - like I see that of my own pre-teen daughter do all the time. :) This in my imagination is why she loves puzzles. Anything that she can become engaged in and concentrate on for long periods of time provide temporary means to shut the predator voice out.

I want to emphasize my view that in every waking moment she is engaged in this struggle. While she is grimly determined to achieve her conscious goal of staying alive no matter what, during the course of the film she starts using that same strength towards achieving another goal: retaining or perhaps rediscovering her humanity. This struggle is what I admire most about the Eli character, and I want to make it seem like it is as hard for her as I imagine it to be.

I suppose if I become a better writer (or a less awful writer) I will be able to do it with more finesse. 8-)
It's a great tribute :D And honestly, Eli smelling Oskar's wound - I didn't think of that detail! ;)

I have been thinking about my attitude to what's going on in Eli's mind. The reason is that I somehow see her more in the direction of a hunter/predator, with a bit less emphasis on the vampire/human dualism. And when I'm hunting, my mind is actually very quiet, with focus on totality of situation. So I don't fire when I should not. If something about/around the moose isn't quite right (firing angle, looking a bit like a tractor :lol: ), the brakes are on immediately. Can't rush.

So I automatically transferred that feeling to Eli and Oskar's first meetings. With Eli, a very experienced hunter - must have killed more than 10 000 times - calmly assessing the situation. Stopping the attack when something unusual happens. Rubik's cube. Friendliness. And resuming the hunt afterwards - Jocke.

I think this is explains our discussion about Eli, and I just tend to see her that way because of my experiences...
I totally agree that Eli's vampirism is an awful burden to her. JAL (here we go again) said in an interview that he was thinking your thoughts about it. How would a vampire's life really be? Horrible. Alfredson/Leandersson do a fantastic job on hinting this by making a slightly weary air about Eli. So subtle.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:07 am

drakkar wrote:I have been thinking about my attitude to what's going on in Eli's mind. The reason is that I somehow see her more in the direction of a hunter/predator, with a bit less emphasis on the vampire/human dualism. And when I'm hunting, my mind is actually very quiet, with focus on totality of situation. So I don't fire when I should not. If something about/around the moose isn't quite right (firing angle, looking a bit like a tractor :lol: ), the brakes are on immediately. Can't rush.
Have you ever hunted when you are hungry and the outcome determines whether or not you will eat? I can't say that I have. Even so, this is a fascinating angle. When hunting I have never really thought of myself as a predator. My mindset has always been that it is a measurement of skill. If I end up having to re-write the Jocke and Virginia attack scenes, it will be all your fault. :)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:28 am

Wolfchild wrote: Have you ever hunted when you are hungry and the outcome determines whether or not you will eat? I can't say that I have. Even so, this is a fascinating angle. When hunting I have never really thought of myself as a predator. My mindset has always been that it is a measurement of skill.
No, I see the difference. But thing is, you really feel less of hunger, rain or cold when hunting than if you were just hiking in the wilderness. Probably has to do with focus. :)
Anyway - big difference - Eli literally wades in pray, but struggle to "get the right angle". We have to search it up/wait it out, but when we find it, we usually have a fair chance (if we got a licence to take out that particular animal).
Wolfchild wrote: If I end up having to re-write the Jocke and Virginia attack scenes, it will be all your fault. :)
I just threw in the hunter/predator argument to try to see Eli from a different angle, to modify my view of her a bit. This aspect doesn't take into account the supernatural parts of her personality at all. So it's just menant as a contributing factor :mrgreen: .
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:08 pm

I added a bit more - enough to close out Håkan's story.

Now there is nothing left but the hard parts.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 am

Wolfchild wrote:I added a bit more - enough to close out Håkan's story.

Now there is nothing left but the hard parts.
Keep up the good work. The fan fiction part of this site is becoming one of my favorite areas! :D

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 am

I didn't grasp the scene where Eli is sitting in her room sits with the hand on the wall. Until now. She promised Håkan. Of course. Thanks! :)
Seems like I have to modify my Eli ever so slightly. Again.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

lombano

Post by lombano » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 am

Wolfchild wrote:After this they start to get real difficult for me.
"All noble things are as difficult as they are rare."
-B. Spinoza
Bli mig lite.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:30 am

drakkar wrote:I didn't grasp the scene where Eli is sitting in her room sits with the hand on the wall. Until now. She promised Håkan. Of course. Thanks! :)
Seems like I have to modify my Eli ever so slightly. Again.
Actually, she didn't really promise. She just looked at him and then stroked his cheek.

Return to “Fan Fiction”