Nothing (new interpretation poem thingy)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
varamiglite

Nothing (new interpretation poem thingy)

Post by varamiglite » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Okay so this is my second try at interpreting a scene. This time I chose to interpret the entire part in the book where Eli shows Oskar how he came to be not only a vampire, but ultimately how he became "nothing." I hope this one is as well received as the last one! I should probably say beforehand that this one also has the "sometimes it rhymes, sometimes it doesn't" scheme. It isn't intentional sometimes it just works out that way.

Who am I?
Do you really want to know?
Are you really ready to see?
Cold and frightened lips locked
For a little while, be me

Two and four
Six wasn’t me
Redemption
So why is he pointing?
Why are his eyes fixed on me?
Three and four
In an unfair turn of events I was gone
Taken, bound, gagged
Erased

Nothing left
Not a boy, not a girl
Not a man, not a woman
Not old, not young
Not dead, not alive
Nothing
Human or monster?
Neither
In a world of angels and demons
I am simply nothing

We’re not so different
Our existences are both best overlooked
No one wants us to be
Not even ourselves, especially ourselves
As much as it kills us
As much as it kills others
We want to live

You’ve seen enough, I’ll let go
Falling into my arms gently
You can breathe now
slog tillbaka. hårt.

snaps

Re: Nothing (new interpretation poem thingy)

Post by snaps » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I liked and you offer us quite a 'soft capture' here . This is something that when I read then had to put the book down I found so visceral and distasteful. It occupied my thoughts for a long time afterward until I could resume. In terms of the Eli ''be me for a little'' it works because you avoid the horror of the action while communicating effectively, the consequences of the action.

varamiglite

Re: Nothing (new interpretation poem thingy)

Post by varamiglite » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 pm

snaps wrote:I liked and you offer us quite a 'soft capture' here . This is something that when I read then had to put the book down I found so visceral and distasteful. It occupied my thoughts for a long time afterward until I could resume. In terms of the Eli ''be me for a little'' it works because you avoid the horror of the action while communicating effectively, the consequences of the action.
This part was the most uncomfortable part of the book for me, not so much because of such a horrific act but the fact that it stole a child's life. The scene was disgusting and I knew I couldn't put its brutality into my own words, so I found it more necessary to get to the heart of the scene without bloody details. I mostly wanted to capture the essence of Eli's nothingness and also how her lack of existence isn't a whole lot different from Oskar's. Oskar said early in the book that his existence was a crime, and in more literal ways so is Eli's.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Return to “Fan Fiction”