Thirty Years Ago Today

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Thirty Years Ago Today

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 am

I had meant to post this before midnight, Sweden time, where alas it has now progressed into the 19th. And when I started writing this it was still 18 October 2011 yet alas it here too has progressed into the 19th. So I'll squint at the clock and pretend to be over in PeteMork's timezone (where it is still 18 October 2011) and thereby not notice my tardiness. ;) Okay, okay, all this means I'm a bit off on my title, but you'll understand what I mean.

skål!
gk

Sunday
18 October 1981
Norrköping, Sweden

Reference: Pages 2, 3 from the English language paperback edition of the novel LTROI.

I pull onto the side street nearly two hours later than my planned arrival. I dislike being late. "19:48" says the clock on console of my Volvo light truck. I park as close as I can, grab my gloves, extract the keys and climb out. It's cold outside of the small cab and I look about for the building entrance. Turns out the door is pretty easy to spot and I ring the bell. The renter immediately answers and he greets me straight off. It is a relief, always, to find the right party and begin the work. Yet tonight it is a bit of an embarrassment for me to be so late in my arrival.

He is a stout man, overweight and balding. I find him agreeable but looking tired. I shake hands with him and we exchange names. As usual I forget his within thirty seconds. He tells me he doesn't care how late I am in getting here, that the requirement for the job was that we do this after dark - which is indeed the case.

We climb the couple of stairs to his flat. He lets me in - it is a dingy, sparsely used place - and I see what is to be taken down to the street. Everything has been boxed and arranged. The bed has been broken up and the boards, rails, head board and mattress are together against the left wall. "I need you to sign for this before we begin," I tell him. He grunts, looks over the paperwork and signs it. The money comes out of his pocket and quickly I can tell by the large denomination notes that the matter is paid for. Settled out on the formalities, we begin the work.

I usually have a man with me for residential moves. It helps with the large pieces. In this case I had been told the move would be very light - nothing large - and this turns out the be the case. We proceed by my direction, which turns out match his thinking. I take a small liking to the guy - he's organized. Sofa is moved first because it is the largest single piece. Then the bed parts. Then the tables and chairs. Boxes last.

It takes a long while to move everything down the stairs, out through the doors, up into the truck and then secured. We work for a long while at it, taking frequent breaks. I can tell the guy is exhausted by the work but doesn't want to show it. He is not in the physical shape to be doing this. The darkness and the cold don't help. I let him rest at the end of each piece's move. If he gives up on me with the truck half loaded, we're done. But he holds it together even though he is panting most times like a locomotive.

A mystery of why some of the chairs and boxes up in the flat keep moving closer to the door while we are downstairs and outside is finally answered. The guy has got a kid with him. She appears out of the shadows during our next to last trip down the stairs. We're carrying the boxes at that point and I catch my first glimpse of her as I'm heading out the door with several stacked up in my arms. "Hey, I didn't realize you had a kid here too," I call out to him. He grunts and continues down the stairs ahead of me. When we have the box run secured in the truck and he is taking a breather on the tail gate he finally answers me. "Yeh, she's pretty quiet." "Daughter?," I ask. "Yes," he grunts and then forces himself back into action. Seems to me he's cutting the conversation short. Whatever. We're almost done.

He does the usual last look around the place. Everything is out as we carry away the remaining set of boxes. He locks the door behind and we descend. "Is she out," I ask? I've only seen her the one time. "Yes," he grunts. Again the grunting. I let it go.

The final box load is secured and I close up the truck. It is getting very late now. And cold. But at this point we're committed to all this, which is why I don't like doing moves at night and why I don't like being the only workman on a run.

I climb into the cab and he joins me. I buckle in and ask if he knows the way. He says he can help guide. Fortunately Blackeberg is not that complicated.

Just as he shuts his door, she slips in. Right out of nowhere. She must have been haunting around on the far side of the truck. In the darkness you'd never see her. Even now in the cab she's a quiet shadow over between him and the door. I want to give her a friendly "hello," but can't get a look at her. She seems pretty cute though. Probably about ten years old, judging by the size of her. Ghostlike, though.

We drive along in silence. Again, this is a problem with doing moves at night: everyone is tired. It gets too easy to make mistakes and I know the hard parts are yet to come.

Blackeberg.

We turn onto Ibsengaten, two hours later, and find a place close to where he points out the new entrance. Number 75, Ibsengaten is our destination; their new home. At least the street is lit, even at this hour.

The whole dance begins anew, going in reverse. I open up the truck. We start with the boxes, climbing up and into to their new place. Again I have to give the guy long breaks, only it's worse now. Hauling everything up the stairwell is taxing him. Nothing I can do but give him time.

I lost sight of the girl the moment we parked. His door opened and she was gone into the night before I even thought to look over. I haven't seen her since.

We continue with the boxes and then the chairs and tables. Finally the bed pieces are brought up. I will let him assemble those and he tells me he can do it on his own. It is almost midnight as we struggle with the couch. I figure the police will be here any time now, asking us to wait on the rest until morning. And then, finally, the sofa is up and inside the new place and we're done. The timing is good. He is dead exhausted and I want to get home to my family and bed.

We shake hands and ramble down the stairs and back outside. A final bit of conversation occurs but we're both tired. It's been along day for me - three moves - I can't keep doing this. He gives me a nice tip.

I climb into the cab and start it up. As I pull away I see him talking to his daughter. They're just outside in the doorway entrance. I can't hear the conversation with the cab windows shut but I imagine they're discussing what more needs needs to be done tonight and who is going to sleep where.

It's odd but the last thing I worry about as I pull away is the unusual nature of that little girl. Most times when I help with residential moves the kids are a menace during the unpacking stage. They are typically wound up and racing through the new place, getting into everything. Not this kid though. The little ghost was nowhere to be seen until just as I pulled away. How odd.
Last edited by gkmoberg1 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

drakkar

Re: Thirty Years Ago Today

Post by drakkar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 am

..and dont forget on Friday 21 October it is thirty years since the novel started!
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 am

thanks for this reminder , and interesting FF. ;)

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Hey Pal, where's the fire?

Oh, yeah, it's right there.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:55 pm

He doesn't love me. Just leaves me to get all the baggage by myself, to do everything for him.

I kill for him, well I try to, anyway; I would die for him, he knows this, but he doesn't love me. I don't deserve to be loved anyway, I know that, but why is he so cold? Why did he even bother to rescue me, to then be so cold? It's almost worse than before, except it isn't, because I love him. Why can't he return it, even a little?

Because he's a vampire, Hakan, you fool; a demon, a dark angel, he doesn't crawl around in the filth like you, he inhabits another sphere of which you still know nothing, and he will not let you even touch him, once. Oh, God, I'm tired. Last lot of boxes...then out with the kitbox, get busy.

He won't turn me; I thought he would kill me when I asked, he looked at me for so long I became really frightened, and he would not speak, or stop looking at me, or let me look away. Then he said one word, Never, and that was the end of the matter. I will never ask again.

He is still very hungry, after the last disaster, and he grows more dangerous and unpredictable with the hunger; I will have to go out almost at once. What have I done with the kitbox? He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star.

I nod in silent agreement, and go out with the kitbox for his food.

I am lost.
Last edited by DMt. on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm just going to get a quick shower, be right back. :?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Yes, DMt., spot on! You have the purpose of this thread figured out. You go!
drakkar wrote:..and dont forget on Friday 21 October it is thirty years since the novel started!
Exactly! I didn't have to say it but you get it, that this is what this is all about. I started with the above because of the little piece that JAL included before "Part One." There, in "The Location" is this encounter between the mover and a police investigator. So I took that and turned it around and wrote it for when it was to have occurred: 18 October. I wrote it in the first person, present tense because it is to be done as today, just being typed by us now, thirty years later.
DMt. wrote:I'm just going to get a quick shower, be right back. :?
Yeh, I don't blame you. Stepping into the role is brave of you. Be sure to use soap :!:

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:47 pm

I was thinking more of Dettol, or some other powerful disinfectant. I won't be doing it permanently, or even again; it's just the next scene in the timeline, no, Hakan puffing over the bags as Eli goes in, and musing bitterly on his fate?

Oskar has been looking at them arrive, from his bedroom window, and...

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:01 pm

There is nothing in the novel for today, 19 October, so I/we have nothing that we need to say. Get it?

I'm not saying we can't say anything, only that we don't need to say anything. :)
( Which is why DMt.'s entry has me smiling beyond huge. )

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm

I was subtly cued... :twisted:

Return to “Fan Fiction”