Reflections at Dawn

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
a_contemplative_life

Re: Reflections at Dawn

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 am

I guess so, to some extent. I kept watching the movie, and when I finally decided to plunge into some internal monologue, I began to watch each scene and then ask myself what Eli would have thought about the day's events when she finally crawled into her tub to go to sleep. I found that I most enjoyed this little piece of fan fiction when I stopped the movie after each encounter between Eli and Oskar and then read the monologue for that day...

There are a number of problems with the story that are now apparent to me. I included the novel's reference to Eli's encounter with Hakan outside the bathroom door following her shower, yet she stinks on the jungle gym with Oskar shortly thereafter. I don't like the addition of the backstory with Eli's imagined brother, Jacob; it makes Eli too sympathetic, I think. Tips the scales too far in one direction. I think the dream narrative following the sleepover scene may be a little too emotionally deep than what might be expected so soon after that. I think Eli is too emotionally tumultuous as the story reaches its end. Maybe. And maybe a little too preoccupied with thoughts of suicide, too.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:32 am

No doubt it seemed the honourable recourse, at the time. :D

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm

ACL . This is crazy good. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Honestly, I like this story exactly for that Eli is very emotional. If she was not, that woul'd was another story.
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:33 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:P.S. - so much of what you attributed to Eli reminded me of my first FF, Reflections at Dawn. If you haven't read it and are interested in understanding why I say that, I would urge you to give it a try. I think you'll see what I mean...
I'm so glad you directed me to "Reflections at Dawn." I see the correspondences between Eli here and Eli in "When I Am With You." But I also see a well told tale that greatly overshadows my modest visit with Eli and Oskar in Blackeberg. Another big thank you!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:52 pm

dongregg wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:P.S. - so much of what you attributed to Eli reminded me of my first FF, Reflections at Dawn. If you haven't read it and are interested in understanding why I say that, I would urge you to give it a try. I think you'll see what I mean...
I'm so glad you directed me to "Reflections at Dawn." I see the correspondences between Eli here and Eli in "When I Am With You." But I also see a well told tale that greatly overshadows my modest visit with Eli and Oskar in Blackeberg. Another big thank you!
Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe someday I'll rewrite it :D

And please don't denigrate your writing. The work of anyone who takes the time to explore Oskar and Eli's story in a serious way is great by me!

StrayAway

Post by StrayAway » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:55 am

"But then ... because I do need him, especially right now.... So ... I went in there."

I'm sorry, Eli, so sorry, Eli. I know not to hate (which is fear). Because it's a weakening thing. I know better; I do. But I can't be better, this time. I hate Hakan, all over again. Even after I thought I learned a new strength, a new, different power, for you, Eli. But I've lost it; it's gone already. Eli. I'm weak, again. I hate Hakan, hate him, in my blinding burning bronze weakness, Eli, and I won't be better this time. I won't. Eli... What, what if I knew a way?
"I am afraid of clowns. I hate their empty eyes and fake smiles." - (Lina Leandersson, Little White Lies interview)

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:55 pm

StrayAway wrote:"But then ... because I do need him, especially right now.... So ... I went in there."

I'm sorry, Eli, so sorry, Eli. I know not to hate (which is fear). Because it's a weakening thing. I know better; I do. But I can't be better, this time. I hate Hakan, all over again. Even after I thought I learned a new strength, a new, different power, for you, Eli. But I've lost it; it's gone already. Eli. I'm weak, again. I hate Hakan, hate him, in my blinding burning bronze weakness, Eli, and I won't be better this time. I won't. Eli... What, what if I knew a way?
Dude, it's just a story about a story. Take it easy...

StrayAway

Post by StrayAway » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:53 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Dude, it's just a story about a story. Take it easy...
"I am afraid of clowns. I hate their empty eyes and fake smiles." - (Lina Leandersson, Little White Lies interview)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:27 am

StrayAway's response disappeared, but this is what it was! Very appropriate!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dongregg on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Fan Fiction”