little Funny Fictions:)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Re: little Funny Fictions:)

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

I really like PeteMork's take on Eli. :wub: How could I not? But when I write fan fictions for LTROI, I most often end up writing the Eli that I imagine. And my Eli is much grittier, wary, and doomed to be forever tormented by what he is. I end up not at all seeing vampirism as anything romantic. Horrible, in fact. And that's what I was drawing up on in creating the Kristina character. The young girl, teenager, in Kristina is destroyed completely by what happens to her. How she comes to be what she is, the very thing Eli says he is not **, is something I don't think I got into that far with the Kristina story as it is right now.

Good luck to you in your writing!

** In the novel LTROI (about page 271 of the Kindle version), Oskar asks "Are you a vampire" and Eli responds with "I ... live on blood. But I am not ... that" and when Oskar responds with "What's the difference?" Eli replies with "There's a very big difference." I see my character Kristina as being exactly that type which Eli is referring to.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:54 pm

I hope I'm up for it. I'm intrigued by the way you presented Elias, and I have an image burned into my mind of his asking Kristina, "Are there many of us?" That speaks volumes to me about how alone in his solitary existence Elias is at that time. I mean at around three-quarters of century, he hasn't been able to answer that question for himself.

Anyway, intrigued as I am, I still don't know if I'm up for it. Won't stop me from reading, though.
Here's the showstopper for me writing about Elias in the times before Blackeberg -- I haven't read the novel. I depend on things said on the forum to get knowledge of it, but that isn't enough. So, instead of trying to add to the wonderful pictures you have drawn of Elias, I must wait until something inspires me to write more about film Eli or post-film Eli.

I identified this problem for myself before I even wrote "When I Am with You," but I imagined it would just be a matter of time before I took on the whole LTROI universe. Hasn't happened yet, so no historical fan fic is on my horizon.

Still, here is an opportunity for me to share with you how I see Eli. Forgive the feminine pronoun, but I see Eli/Elias as androgynous, and I simply choose she an alternative to he or it. In Kristina, you have her easily identifying Elias a boy by the way he moves. I believe that is completely appropriate for novel Elias.

I see Eli being able to survive for so long based on her heightened senses and strength, but mainly I see the infection itself making major survival decisions -- "Sleep now. Feed now. Flee. Hide." This means I see an Eli who is minimally crafty, just mainly reactive and with the element of surprise always on her side -- hit fast and split. Shock and awe. The way I see her also includes living in the moment, reactive with split-second action when needed, but quiet and still when not. For that reason, I don't see her making contingency plans or spending much thought about discovery. Rather than having a bolt hole -- which even a rabbit has enough sense to have -- I see her as completely confident that she will find the next safe place when circumstances dictate a move. I suppose this conflicts with the role of adult helpers in her life. I notice when speaking of Oskar and Eli on the run, fan fiction writers have to account for how two kids can navigate an urban environment. Makes sense, but they'll come up with something. And, if Oskar is turned, there's two of them infected with a cunning infection that will compel them to do the right thing. This would be a pretty boring couple of protagonists, but in Eli and Oskar's case, they have an emotional dimension that adds the necessary depth and complexity to any tale. And we have the possibility that just being together will let them discover a sense of humor and a playfulness that both lacked when they were alone. Okay, I'd better stop here. I'm right now finding that I have some of the elements of a new story, thanks to your encouragement.

We'll see. But it would necessarily be film Oskar and Eli. It's all I got!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:00 am

Well, when you're ready I'll read the book to you. :twisted: We can do a couple pages each night. Just enough to keep you awake for the next eight hours. :shock:

But for the writing, buckets of encouragement to you! Write out post-movie Eli & Oskar if you like. Noooo problem here.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Well, when you're ready I'll read the book to you. :twisted: We can do a couple pages each night. Just enough to keep you awake for the next eight hours. :shock:

But for the writing, buckets of encouragement to you! Write out post-movie Eli & Oskar if you like. Noooo problem here.
You're a peach! :lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:19 am

We did an audio for one of intrige's stories: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =20#p91055 . Not sure we could repeat all that for you, but it'd be fun... Muahahahaha

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 am

dongregg wrote: ...Still, here is an opportunity for me to share with you how I see Eli. Forgive the feminine pronoun, but I see Eli/Elias as androgynous, and I simply choose she an alternative to he or it. In Kristina, you have her easily identifying Elias a boy by the way he moves. I believe that is completely appropriate for novel Elias. ...
I understand you. The most close to what I feel is Oskar's thoughts in Pete's story "Eli's Proposal"

...He knew Eli’s wisdom was far deeper and more profound than his and her life experiences were far more varied and complex than his own would ever be; that’s why he loved it so when she became sweet and child-like again. ....
...It was the essence of what she was in spite of everything. And being with her every day made it impossible for him to forget. And he loved Elias for being what he was … and who she was. It was a complete, inseparable package. Take it or leave it. He smiled to himself.
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 am

:D
Yes, very happy indeed. Pete and I are always pretty much on the same page as regards Eli. Book Elias and Kristina's Elias can be a boy and move like a boy, but Lina moves like a girl. Flirts. Looks adoringly at Oskar. Knows how to smoothly pull her hair from the red turtleneck sweater. Scrubs herself squeaky clean before going out to meet Oskar in the courtyard. Yeah, fashion challenged -- has her too small sweater held together with a big safety pin when she an Oskar stroll around town -- but she gets better at it (ecru shirt and navy bell bottoms, which she quickly trashes by bleeding all over them). So I write "she," think "vampire," and I'm not even comfortable thinking "androgynous" anymore. How do castrati develop physically when castrated before the flood of testosterone in puberty? Soft skin? High voice for sure -- that's the whole point. (More interested in boys than girls? So I've heard. Don't know. That sort of preference seems to go back all the way to the womb.) But I do know that many sex-oriented features are already present in utero, so a castrato is not a girl. Still, many a prepubescent boy could pass as a girl (and vice-versa), so Lina playing Eli works on any number of levels. So she is an easy choice for me. If the film had pumped up the spookiness, "it" could be considered, but a noun like "the creature" might work better. Or "the other."

I've written elsewhere on the forum that between JAL and TA, we are presented with a conundrum that cannot be solved, just lived with as best we can. Elias/Eli is a total package. That's just the way it is. And we adore her.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:36 am

dongregg wrote: :D
Yes, very happy indeed. Pete and I are always pretty much on the same page as regards Eli. Book Elias and Kristina's Elias can be a boy and move like a boy, but Lina moves like a girl. Flirts. Looks adoringly at Oskar. Knows how to smoothly pull her hair from the red turtleneck sweater. Scrubs herself squeaky clean before going out to meet Oskar in the courtyard. Yeah, fashion challenged -- has her too small sweater held together with a big safety pin when she an Oskar stroll around town -- but she gets better at it (ecru shirt and navy bell bottoms, which she quickly trashes by bleeding all over them). So I write "she," think "vampire," and I'm not even comfortable thinking "androgynous" anymore. How do castrati develop physically when castrated before the flood of testosterone in puberty? Soft skin? High voice for sure -- that's the whole point. (More interested in boys than girls? So I've heard. Don't know. That sort of preference seems to go back all the way to the womb.) But I do know that many sex-oriented features are already present in utero, so a castrato is not a girl. Still, many a prepubescent boy could pass as a girl (and vice-versa), so Lina playing Eli works on any number of levels. So she is an easy choice for me. If the film had pumped up the spookiness, "it" could be considered, but a noun like "the creature" might work better. Or "the other."

I've written elsewhere on the forum that between JAL and TA, we are presented with a conundrum that cannot be solved, just lived with as best we can. Elias/Eli is a total package. That's just the way it is. And we adore her.
My love for Eli, expressed in virtually everything I've written (and consequently my whole-hearted attempts to understand his terrible lot in life, and forgive her transgressions :wub: ), has had a huge effect on my perception of real world personal accountability; especially when it comes to children. Interestingly enough, my point of view in the "Slenderman Stabbing" thread is an obvious consequence of that. I admit that, because of Eli, I can no longer be objective. Or has it allowed me to be completely objective? ;) I now see Eli in all troubled children up into their 'tweens' and sometimes, even beyond. And none of these real-world children's crimes can come close to matching the legions of innocent folks Eli has killed, no matter what the reasons. Would I not be a hypocrite if I couldn't even give them the benefit of the doubt?

And it's all Eli's fault. ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:45 pm

I like Lindqvist's statement that Eli is a mystery for himself.
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:22 am

Clubmeister wrote:I like Lindqvist's statement that Eli is a mystery for himself.
That speaks volumes about the thorny gender situation that we have to navigate, both as fans and as fan fiction writers.

Return to “Fan Fiction”