Eli's Proposal (Oskar at Eighteen)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
PeteMork

Re: Eli's Proposal (Oskar at Eighteen)

Post by PeteMork » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:54 am

Drakeule wrote:I liked this story (sorry i never got to it before) but i never found their relationship to be so "sexual"... I get some of you like to think of it that way, but to me, Eli was never the put out or get out type. Sure he did what it took to survive, but I think he drew the line somewhere. Even with Håkan, he said he could touch but that was it. To me, Oskar and Eli were freinds, the best you could imagine, but that's it.
Yes indeed. That is also what I believe...when Oskar is 12. And now, with JAL's LTODD, they are botheternally 12; and obviously real BFFs. ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:42 pm

In my understanding they have a romantic relationship. Maybe asexual, but with lots of intimacy. Friends don't look into each others eyes, kiss, cuddle or get nervous when they are not together. They are in love.

Maybe the author left it open for debate and that might be the reason for that half-sentence under the balcony, when they kissed. Eli (I believe) said "I....." and then they kissed. I bet that was meant as "I love you".
real BFFs
Exactly. Boyfriends forever. :mrgreen:

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm not sure, but i like to think Elis' intimacy may be based on the time and area he grew up in. In Russia, it isn't "weird" for guys to hold hands in public. In some parts of the world people kiss each others cheek as a greeting. So maybe it isn't weird for Eli to show affection like he does. It may just be the way he was raised.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Okay, maybe it's true what you say. But even then Oskar is clearly interested in his girl, later boy. I think that is really noticible in the book. His nervousness, his curiosity, him peeking through the window till she comes out of the house again on day 2... he openly thinks about what it means to be gay. Why does he even care about her sex. Because he is romantically invested. That boy is in love.

And Eli? At some points she is reluctant. Like in the bedscene. What does "going steady" mean? Nothing changes? Then we can go steady. Or "We cannot go steady. I am not a girl". You can interprete that in many ways.

But then she caresses him in a very special way. That is nonsexual intimacy. Hard to imagine for just friends. This is not just cuddling, that is INTENSE cuddling.
Eli turned his face to Orksar's, said, 'I...'
Closed his mouth. Then pressed a kiss on Oskar's lips.
For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
Yes. It can mean love between friends. She sees him stronger, better... also more handsome... hm, the latter one is a bit weird for just friends. But anyway.

When being honest, right now I cannot say if Eli is or is not in love with Oskar. It can be both ways. But Oskar is in love with Eli. And I can hardly imagine this talk a week after the book:
Eli: Wait, you misunderstood something. I love you, yes. But I am not IN love with you. You are just a friend.
Oskar: (very dry) You know, you could have told me that before turning me into a vampire.
Nah. :lol:

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Well, at first Oskar does think Eli is a girl. But when he finds out the he isn't, he doesn't treat him that way anymore. Yes he has feelings, and he is confused, so he has the talk with the teacher. But that doesn't say he is gay. He has feelings for someone, and with all the hints Eli is dropping he wonders what it means if he so happened to be a guy. Once he finds out, he recoils inwardly. "Is it easier to accept Eli as a vampire but not a boy? " Eli is his only true freind in the world. Would you let that go?

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:11 pm

So he just stopped being in love? That is hell of a self control.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Never stopped loving, just it turned platonic. When he steals the Rubik's Cube, he isn't planning on giving it to his girlfriend or boyfreind or his lover. It for his freind, as a going away present.

Return to “Fan Fiction”