A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
drakkar

Re: A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

Post by drakkar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 pm

metoo wrote:BTW, my brother used to be able to whistle through his trumpet (although not while playing).
That's much easier with a tuba :geek: Been rehearsing all night - the band are going to Molde for the weekend with the coastal liner (Hurtigruten) tomorrow, and we're supposed to play for the fare!
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

lombano

Post by lombano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 am

I've not read all your stories yet, but I really liked Monster and Canoe Vacation (depressing, but entirely realistic). I liked Monster very much, not least the end. Moral of the story: Like some lighters, knives, etc, advice, 'Keep away from children.'
Bli mig lite.

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:13 am

drakkar wrote:... the band are going to Molde for the weekend with the coastal liner (Hurtigruten) tomorrow, and we're supposed to play for the fare!
Something like this, perhaps? :mrgreen:
These are The Roy Roxy Danche Orchestra, they are immensely funny. They sound a little better in real life, the recording isn't very good, sound-wise. They used to be students in Lund in the 1980s, but I guess they have got their degrees by now, even if that isn't too obvious...

TA's father, Hans "Hasse" Alfredsson, was a student in Lund, too, in the 1950s, and later became a celebrated entertainer in Sweden. So we all owe Lund University our infected state to some degree...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 am

Nah, that was more like my student orchestra time!
Only I had a real heeeavy brass sousaphone, not that flimsy glass fibre stuff!
You know we (Strindens Promenadeorchester) actually visited Stockholm february 1982, the Pripps beer glass I stole (and kept!), has suddenly become precious to me. And there is more; my current best tuba was bought by Stockholm tubaist Lennart Nord back in 1981.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

metoo

Infected (Smittade)

Post by metoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

I've just uploaded a new piece of fan fiction, Smittade, and a translation into English, Infected.

I wanted to explore the impact of music on O&E, and then the text just grew from there.

Chronologically, it fits right before Message From Friends/Budskap från vänner.

Enjoy!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:49 pm

I quite liked that--the two little vampires in love who inspire others to realize their own feelings. 8-)
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 am

I liked it too. I especially liked this line for some reason:
“You'd jump, too, if you could, wouldn’t you?” Oskar looked at Linus a few moments, then he changed the topic.

Quite right! We all would if we could. :D

And I liked the scene where Eli sang an ancient folk song for them. What a nice way to emphasize his age, his love for his mother, and his sadness at his loss. :( I like your Eli and Oskar very much.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:06 am

PeteMork wrote:I liked it too. I especially liked this line for some reason:
“You'd jump, too, if you could, wouldn’t you?” Oskar looked at Linus a few moments, then he changed the topic.

Quite right! We all would if we could. :D
I now realise that this line may have more connotations than I actually intended when writing. Oskar made the big jump, once.

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 am

I've for a few days considered re-writing my whole collection of fanfics. I would not change the stuff I have already published, but write new, parallel versions of some of the stories. The reason is that I think I have made the lives of O&E too cheerful and unproblematic. After all, Eli is depicted as being very sad after having fed on Jocke. But he also says that killing people is 'tråkigt', which is a rather weak word, in this context it could be translated to 'sad'. (I would like to know how this is translated in the English version.)

But, the killing business should be more taxing on both of them, and should be a greater part of their lives that I have so far depicted.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 am

Anyhow your FF's is very original.
I like them very much, even though they are slightly happier than most FF's here. :)
If you want to rewrite I'd love to read them too :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Return to “Fan Fiction”