A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
intrige

Re: A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

Post by intrige » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Most studens who have to learn both Bokmål and Nynorsk, find nynorsk very annoying. (My self included)

But it's also interesting, as you said Drakar. It's a big mixture, the languige have also changed since the words was written down. So we donæt just see an mixture, but also how people spoke before we were born. (Another reason to find the 80s interesting. (I didn't live back than. -_-) I neather lived 259 years ago! About how old Eli would have been :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 am

I've mostly enjoyed all these stories. It is a bit of an emotional train ride, though. Almost all of the folks that E&O meet are nice people. The problem is that some of them get to have a beautiful time with two wonderful children, but other equally nice people end up dying painful deaths at the hands of these two monsters. So each story is like a box of chocolates. You never know whether you're going get :D or :shock: or :( or :roll: or :twisted:

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 am

darman1817 wrote:... Almost all of the folks that E&O meet are nice people ...
That's reality, most people are nice. Thus, given the unreality of vampires, that would be what O&E has to face, their food would not only be people, but nice people.

However, I find that I have made their existence too unproblematic. I'm planning to write a parallel series that is more open-eyed to the dark aspects.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 am

You're going to write something more dark than "Sweet Kids" or "Canoe Vacation"? Yikes!

Actually, I look forward to it. I'd like to read a fan fiction series where Eli & Oskar act like a miniature version of Spike & Dru. :twisted:

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am

darman1817 wrote:You're going to write something more dark than "Sweet Kids" or "Canoe Vacation"? Yikes!

Actually, I look forward to it. I'd like to read a fan fiction series where Eli & Oskar act like a miniature version of Spike & Dru. :twisted:
Well, what I intend to do is not make the actual things O&E do darker, but to go into their perceptions of what they do.

What would they feel, waiting in that mobile home for several hours? How would they cope?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am

Looking forward to that :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:47 am

metoo wrote:
darman1817 wrote:You're going to write something more dark than "Sweet Kids" or "Canoe Vacation"? Yikes!

Well, what I intend to do is not make the actual things O&E do darker, but to go into their perceptions of what they do.

What would they feel, waiting in that mobile home for several hours? How would they cope?
Oh, I see. The way that E&O joked with each other while sitting in the mobile home of the people they had just murdered was what made that story the most disturbing for me. But that was just a coping mechanism. As for Oskar & Eli acting like Spike & Dru, I didn't think that you would write such stories, I just wish that someone would :twisted:

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 am

darman1817 wrote:As for Oskar & Eli acting like Spike & Dru, I didn't think that you would write such stories, I just wish that someone would :twisted:
Well, since I don't know much a bout Spike & Dru, short of what I've found in Wikipedia, I would have a hard time doing so on purpose. However, I imagine those to be "evil creatures", motivated not by their need to feed, but by some evil state of mind. They do their atrocities because they know it's the wrong thing to do, and they want to do the wrong thing, they get some satisfaction out of it. The reason for that is, obviously, that the audience must not feel to sympathetic towards the victims of Buffy, she's the sweet heroine, after all. The TV series world is uncomplicated, as it need to be to gather a sufficiently large number of viewers to watch the commercials that finances the broadcasting company. I've seen just a couple of Buffy episodes, does she ever regret her killings?

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 am

metoo wrote:
darman1817 wrote:As for Oskar & Eli acting like Spike & Dru, I didn't think that you would write such stories, I just wish that someone would :twisted:
Well, since I don't know much a bout Spike & Dru, short of what I've found in Wikipedia, I would have a hard time doing so on purpose. However, I imagine those to be "evil creatures", motivated not by their need to feed, but by some evil state of mind. They do their atrocities because they know it's the wrong thing to do, and they want to do the wrong thing, they get some satisfaction out of it. The reason for that is, obviously, that the audience must not feel to sympathetic towards the victims of Buffy, she's the sweet heroine, after all. The TV series world is uncomplicated, as it need to be to gather a sufficiently large number of viewers to watch the commercials that finances the broadcasting company. I've seen just a couple of Buffy episodes, does she ever regret her killings?
No doubt about it, Spike & Dru are "evil creatures" who enjoy doing needless harm to others. The fact that they can behave that way and still have fans let's you know how cool they are. In Buffy's world people who become vampires lose their souls, which are replaced by demons. So a vampire is really a demon in the reality of Buffy. For that reason Buffy never has to regret any of her kills. In later episodes, Spike's human soul is magically replaced and he becomes a hero. The last season of Buffy was really lame, only heroic Spike made it worth watching.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 am

darman1817 wrote:[In Buffy's world people who become vampires lose their souls, which are replaced by demons. So a vampire is really a demon in the reality of Buffy. For that reason Buffy never has to regret any of her kills.
Yes, that would be how it is explained why Buffy never regrets killing vampires. But demons are sentient beings, so killing a demon is rather comparable with killing another human being. Nevertheless, Buffy is completely unaffected by it.

I think the real reason is that Buffy having an uneasy time killing vampires would add a discussion of the relativity of evil and good, which wouldn't be welcomed by the advertisers.

Return to “Fan Fiction”