My Very First Story - Never Again

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
covenant6452

Re: My Very First Story - Never Again

Post by covenant6452 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 pm

T
PeteMork wrote:Powerful, emotional stuff! I must confess; I've beaten up on Eli quite a bit in my stories, even killed her off in a dream sequence, but I could never bring myself to do...that to her. It would have been way too difficult for me. However, I know that this type of thing was implied in the book, and I applaud your effort to bring that brutal part of her life into focus.
Yes, I agree.
I wrote once about how most fan-fiction here, including my own, didn't seem to get to the deep down and dirty level that the novel goes to.
I did write a bit about the subject, (not published yet...I think?) just a short bit where Eli answers Oskar's curiosity about Hakan, sharing the experience with a kiss and thoroughly sickening Oskar to the point where he makes Eli vow never to allow that to happen again, even for blood.
I realize that Eli's life had been like that, but I think that one of the rewards of finding Oskar, would be to never have to debase her/himself like that again.
Brave effort on the first try though! Get the worst bit's out of the way first! :D
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Mon May 17, 2010 5:45 pm

covenant6452 wrote:T
PeteMork wrote:Powerful, emotional stuff! I must confess; I've beaten up on Eli quite a bit in my stories, even killed her off in a dream sequence, but I could never bring myself to do...that to her. It would have been way too difficult for me. However, I know that this type of thing was implied in the book, and I applaud your effort to bring that brutal part of her life into focus.
Yes, I agree.
I wrote once about how most fan-fiction here, including my own, didn't seem to get to the deep down and dirty level that the novel goes to.
I did write a bit about the subject, (not published yet...I think?) just a short bit where Eli answers Oskar's curiosity about Hakan, sharing the experience with a kiss and thoroughly sickening Oskar to the point where he makes Eli vow never to allow that to happen again, even for blood.
I realize that Eli's life had been like that, but I think that one of the rewards of finding Oskar, would be to never have to debase her/himself like that again.
Brave effort on the first try though! Get the worst bit's out of the way first! :D
Thanks!

One of the advantages is that if I ever do write anything else, it's bound to be easier and cheerier than this.

For me, one of the big questions in my head is Oskar's view on everything. What motivates him. The movie and book show that he seems unwilling or unable to kill for Eli even when she is in danger (a thought that is wide open for debate, mind you), so what would it take to get him to break that boundary? Would knowing the details of her past (which are admittedly also wide open to interpretation and conjecture) cause him to become closer to her, or shun her completely?
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

lombano

Post by lombano » Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 pm

PeteMork wrote:Powerful, emotional stuff! I must confess; I've beaten up on Eli quite a bit in my stories, even killed her off in a dream sequence, but I could never bring myself to do...that to her. It would have been way too difficult for me. :cry: However, I know that this type of thing was implied in the book, and I applaud your effort to bring that brutal part of her life into focus.
I would say it was implied in the film also, but otherwise I agree, it is a good piece.
jellmoo wrote: Would knowing the details of her past (which are admittedly also wide open to interpretation and conjecture) cause him to become closer to her, or shun her completely?
I'm sure he wouldn't shun her.
Bli mig lite.

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 pm

lombano wrote:
PeteMork wrote:Powerful, emotional stuff! I must confess; I've beaten up on Eli quite a bit in my stories, even killed her off in a dream sequence, but I could never bring myself to do...that to her. It would have been way too difficult for me. :cry: However, I know that this type of thing was implied in the book, and I applaud your effort to bring that brutal part of her life into focus.
I would say it was implied in the film also, but otherwise I agree, it is a good piece.
Thanks!

I think that it's definitely implied in the film, but harder to spot. It wasn't until I read the book that it crept in on me.
jellmoo wrote: Would knowing the details of her past (which are admittedly also wide open to interpretation and conjecture) cause him to become closer to her, or shun her completely?
lombano wrote:I'm sure he wouldn't shun her.
I wouldn't think so either, but I'm not sure if it's simply my idealized view of the characters, or something based on a notion more tangible. Granted, considering how he stands by her after unsettling revelation after unsettling revelation, that may be all the proof we need.
---

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Mon May 17, 2010 9:23 pm

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a comment on writing this piece!

I confess it made my fangs grow a little. :mrgreen:

A few other people's too, I see, not bad for 1 day's views. Way to go.

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, it was very well written yet very hard to read. It's always difficult when we experience the unpleasant trials of our loved ones firsthand. I do think you uncovered a scenerio that could easily befall our Oskar and Eli. Survival has many paths. Great writing and storytelling.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 pm

This was very dark. The image of Eli lying on her back, as you described, was very disturbing and poignant. It reminded me a little of the attempted rape scene in the novel. Oskar's reaction was, of course, natural.

There is a very moving aspect to Eli's character that makes many of us experience feelings akin to those you have ascribed to Oskar in your story; a desire to alleviate suffering, to pull Eli up out of her darkness. I suppose it is the juxtapositioning of her young age and basic innocence with the terrible things that have happened to her that make her character eternally interesting, at least to me.

I would only add that I cannot see the novel Eli doing what is written here. Not when she never even really let Hakan touch her.

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Tue May 18, 2010 12:31 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:I would only add that I cannot see the novel Eli doing what is written here. Not when she never even really let Hakan touch her.
As cruel and sad it sounds, in a situation like this, I think she would let it happen eventually - only for Oskar's sake. Being with him now she didn't want to kill for a place to stay I imagine, and at the end of the day, this other option was their final chance. It is stated by jellmoo that this wasn't the first time they tried to get into somewhere.

It's a good story, by the way, I enjoyed it (well, as much as you can actually "enjoy" reading scenes like this). The only problem I have is that Oskar comes off as a way too naive kid when he wonders about how Eli pays for the place. He knows how easily Eli handles money, so being in a bad mood because of that, well, it'd be strange from her.

I'll sound cruel again, but. IMO it would be perfect if there was a few subtle hints about Oskar actually suspecting what is going on. I like the way he feels protective towards Eli in the novel, not really daring to think about what could exactly happen to her, like in the scene where they are about to visit the basement and he wonders if Tommy and his friends are there:
JAL wrote:As Oskar stood there with a key in his hand, about to unlock the last door, he hesitated. If they were in there? If they caught sight of Eli? If they... it could turn into something he wasn't able to handle.
I think jellmoo's story would be way more tragic if Oskar wasn't that surprised of someone doing that with Eli, but feel more like his worst nightmare was coming true, something that never was a clear, explicit thought in his mind, but he nevertheless always feared deep inside.
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Tue May 18, 2010 1:29 am

DMt. wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought it was a comment on writing this piece!
It kind of was! I wrote the title out, then realized how it sounded. It kind of seemed appropriate with how I felt, so I left it that way. ;)
moonvibe34 wrote:Well, it was very well written yet very hard to read. It's always difficult when we experience the unpleasant trials of our loved ones firsthand. I do think you uncovered a scenerio that could easily befall our Oskar and Eli. Survival has many paths. Great writing and storytelling.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your kind words!
a_contemplative_life wrote:This was very dark. The image of Eli lying on her back, as you described, was very disturbing and poignant. It reminded me a little of the attempted rape scene in the novel. Oskar's reaction was, of course, natural.
Trust me I know. It's one of those situations where I felt compelled to write it, but hated doing it. I tried to keep it as vague as possible, but even then, it's incredibly distasteful.
There is a very moving aspect to Eli's character that makes many of us experience feelings akin to those you have ascribed to Oskar in your story; a desire to alleviate suffering, to pull Eli up out of her darkness. I suppose it is the juxtapositioning of her young age and basic innocence with the terrible things that have happened to her that make her character eternally interesting, at least to me.
I agree completely. I think it's a large part of what a lot of people here feel. The desire to protect a character that has suffered terribly. It's almost funny how we can overlook all of the dark deeds she has done though. It's almost exactly as she describes it in the novel. She is small. PEople want to help her.
I would only add that I cannot see the novel Eli doing what is written here. Not when she never even really let Hakan touch her.
I waffle back and forth on this issue. For me, the Eli from the film? Absolutely not. She seems powerful and in control of the world around her, except in situations involving Oskar. The Eli from the novel though, I'm not sure about. A lot of this comes from another thread on these boards discussing Eli's past "helpers". The basic idea being that maybe she had had to do unsavory things to survive, possibly dealing with characters that were stronger than Hakan.

The other thought I had was: What would Eli do to protect Oskar? Now, I didn't convey this well unfortunately. Re-reading it, I didn't convey the urgency of their situation. But imagine I did. If Eli and Oskar were in a horrible predicament, and Oskar was in danger, what would Eli do to help him?

I honestly do not have an answer to this...
Microwave Jellyfish wrote: It's a good story, by the way, I enjoyed it (well, as much as you can actually "enjoy" reading scenes like this). The only problem I have is that Oskar comes off as a way too naive kid when he wonders about how Eli pays for the place. He knows how easily Eli handles money, so being in a bad mood because of that, well, it'd be strange from her.
Thanks! I was a little worried about the naivety aspect. I admit Oskar comes off looking a little daft in that regard. My only problem was that I purposely wanted to keep it short. Essentially a single scene. I couldn't find a way to fill this gap in a satisfactory way. My inexperience coming to play.
I think jellmoo's story would be way more tragic if Oskar wasn't that surprised of someone doing that with Eli, but feel more like his worst nightmare was coming true, something that never was a clear, explicit thought in his mind, but he nevertheless always feared deep inside.
That would be an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about it to be honest. That would have made it an even darker story though, and I don't know if I could have gone there. Having Oskar *know* what was happening? That makes my skin crawl even more.
---

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Tue May 18, 2010 2:43 am

Kewl story, jellmoo. Short, intense, and to the point. And, for the record, Kihlstedt had it coming as far as I'm concerned. :)

Return to “Fan Fiction”