My Very First Story - Never Again

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
N.R. Gasan

Re: My Very First Story - Never Again

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:We all shed some serious tears over that one, N.R. you bastard! I personally would never do that to anyone!
File this under "Things That Struck Me Funny," but when I read that line I just cracked up...in a good way. We write "LOL" all the time on the Net, at forums like this or in e-mails, but how often do we Laugh Out Loud? This time, I actually did; thanks a_c_life. :)

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed May 19, 2010 6:10 am

jellmoo wrote:For the life of me, I don't know what bothers me most: That they could simply drift apart like that. That one ever could replace the other. That Eli would just slowly, painfully slowly let Oskar go completely. Or that Eli would keep those momentos for all that time, but never... GAH!
I've never been able to leave the more practical issues Eli and Osker would face. Especially how Oskar would survive the first few winters. This winter was pretty hard, just like the winters in the period Osker flew from Blackeberg. Together with another twelve years old who doesn't know cold.
It is fanfic here dealing with an Oskar worn down by the cold, forcing them out in the open. You also has the ulimate solution against the cold - Eli turning Oskar. I cannot leave this last solution, it probably would have happened that way. Two twelve years old kids seeking an immediate solution to the danger of losing each other one way or another. In the novel, Eli does this, when (s)he offers to turn Oskar so he can defend himself against the bullies (my interpretation of Eli's offer). An immediate solution to a present problem whithout giving fully thought to the long term concequences.

Hence part of me I really don't believe in Gasan's Epilogue, because Oskar has to survive until he's old enough to really grasp the problems they're facing. But a beautiful epitaph anyway.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

jellmoo wrote:you made a large former bouncer tear up at work, forcing him away from his desk for a few minutes. :)
Excellent stuff!

Concerned Colleague; "Hey, what's the matter, Jellmoo? Something wrong? You OK?"

Jellmoo; "Oh, it's just...uhh...just a little touch of hay fever or something, I'll be fine; I'll just go and, er...excuse me."

After reading Mork's alternative-ending piece where he killed off both of them*, I too had to go into work with red eyes, and a similar story to the imaginary exchange above...snf snf. But I'm very glad of it, the capacity to be moved. I'd hate to lose it.

* They got better.

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm

drakkar wrote:
jellmoo wrote:For the life of me, I don't know what bothers me most: That they could simply drift apart like that. That one ever could replace the other. That Eli would just slowly, painfully slowly let Oskar go completely. Or that Eli would keep those momentos for all that time, but never... GAH!
I've never been able to leave the more practical issues Eli and Osker would face. Especially how Oskar would survive the first few winters. This winter was pretty hard, just like the winters in the period Osker flew from Blackeberg. Together with another twelve years old who doesn't know cold.
It is fanfic here dealing with an Oskar worn down by the cold, forcing them out in the open. You also has the ulimate solution against the cold - Eli turning Oskar. I cannot leave this last solution, it probably would have happened that way. Two twelve years old kids seeking an immediate solution to the danger of losing each other one way or another. In the novel, Eli does this, when (s)he offers to turn Oskar so he can defend himself against the bullies (my interpretation of Eli's offer). An immediate solution to a present problem whithout giving fully thought to the long term concequences.

Hence part of me I really don't believe in Gasan's Epilogue, because Oskar has to survive until he's old enough to really grasp the problems they're facing. But a beautiful epitaph anyway.
Oh, I think that there is a definite disconnect, for sure. That's part of what I like. I simply can't *see* this happening. I can't see Eli and Oskar taking this path, and leading to such a horrible state. But it's written very convincingly. Very. My heart says that it would never happen, but Gasan has painted a picture that I can still see, still visualize, and that's part of what makes it so great and so terrible (terrible in scope of emotion) at the same time.

I personally try and avoid thinking too much about the logistics of their existence. How they survive, what they do, where they are going. For now, I just don't see it. I don't have a clear vision of what they are going to do. That's part of why I can't bring myself to write any sort of ending to the story, or any real continuation that takes place outside of a few moments. Anything grander in scope is completely beyond me for the time being.

I like your interpretation of Eli's offer to turn Oskar, I hadn't thought of it that way. To me, it was a shot in the dark. Something Eli hadn't thought through at all, almost an off hand remark. Maybe a little selfish in that she might have been trying to bind him to her. I'm going to have to think it through now though. Maybe give the book another read. ;)
DMt. wrote:
jellmoo wrote:you made a large former bouncer tear up at work, forcing him away from his desk for a few minutes. :)
Excellent stuff!

Concerned Colleague; "Hey, what's the matter, Jellmoo? Something wrong? You OK?"

Jellmoo; "Oh, it's just...uhh...just a little touch of hay fever or something, I'll be fine; I'll just go and, er...excuse me."

After reading Mork's alternative-ending piece where he killed off both of them*, I too had to go into work with red eyes, and a similar story to the imaginary exchange above...snf snf. But I'm very glad of it, the capacity to be moved. I'd hate to lose it.

* They got better.
Hey! Did they put a camera in at my work when I wasn't looking? ;) That's almost exactly what happened.

Oh no... no more sad fan fic for me just yet. I can't take it! I'm writing something purposely sappy and sweet just to get my head out of that space. :D
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, definitely, some unicorns and cherubim. Never you mind that Sauvage and Werewolfchild, egging you on into the teeth of inexorable doom... :mrgreen:

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 pm

DMt. wrote:Oh yeah, definitely, some unicorns and cherubim. Never you mind that Sauvage and Werewolfchild, egging you on into the teeth of inexorable doom... :mrgreen:
All things in moderation... Something nice and sweet to cleanse the soul I think. Maybe some bunnies.

And then... back to the dark side! :twisted:
---

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed May 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Aieeeeee!!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed May 19, 2010 7:25 pm

jellmoo wrote:I like your interpretation of Eli's offer to turn Oskar, I hadn't thought of it that way. To me, it was a shot in the dark. Something Eli hadn't thought through at all, almost an off hand remark. Maybe a little selfish in that she might have been trying to bind him to her. I'm going to have to think it through now though. Maybe give the book another read. ;)
This has - like anything else of course - been discussed in lengths on the board. I've seen several takes on this, most well funded, so you just have to pick the one you believe in The reason I believe in mine is that Eli is always carefully not to infect anyone, and especially Oskar she told him.
Eli has promised to help Oskar against the bullies. The situation is escalating, after Oskar hurting Conny's ear, they are getting back on him at the subway when Oskar is rushing to save Eli from Lacke. Eli is about to move, and it doesn't seem clear that Oskar is going to follow her. So - Eli's hesitation is I take as (s)he is reluctant to make this offer, but it is the best Eli can think of.
DMt. wrote:Aieeeeee!!
So so. He seems like having a good heart, even when writing nasty stories. Hmm.. that reminds me of someone... :think:
- Karl Ove Knausgård

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm

drakkar wrote:
jellmoo wrote:I like your interpretation of Eli's offer to turn Oskar, I hadn't thought of it that way. To me, it was a shot in the dark. Something Eli hadn't thought through at all, almost an off hand remark. Maybe a little selfish in that she might have been trying to bind him to her. I'm going to have to think it through now though. Maybe give the book another read. ;)
This has - like anything else of course - been discussed in lengths on the board. I've seen several takes on this, most well funded, so you just have to pick the one you believe in The reason I believe in mine is that Eli is always carefully not to infect anyone, and especially Oskar she told him.
Eli has promised to help Oskar against the bullies. The situation is escalating, after Oskar hurting Conny's ear, they are getting back on him at the subway when Oskar is rushing to save Eli from Lacke. Eli is about to move, and it doesn't seem clear that Oskar is going to follow her. So - Eli's hesitation is I take as (s)he is reluctant to make this offer, but it is the best Eli can think of.
Hmm... I think I am mis-remembering, or confusing the events of the film with those of the book. A re-read is most definitely in order. I don't recall either Eli or Oskar expressing any fear over the situation with the bullies, which is why I never considered that as a possibility. ;)

For some reason, the inner romantic in my wants the only idea to be some sort of last ditch effort to tie Oskar to her, to link their existences. I think it loses a little of the impact of the offer it was simply a tool to help Oskar with his problem.

That being said, the wife will be out of town for the week, giving me pleeeeeenty of opportunity to re-read and re-watch. :mrgreen:
---

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed May 19, 2010 8:54 pm

jellmoo wrote: Hmm... I think I am mis-remembering, or confusing the events of the film with those of the book. A re-read is most definitely in order. I don't recall either Eli or Oskar expressing any fear over the situation with the bullies, which is why I never considered that as a possibility. ;)
No, not fear. But Eli very early shows concern for Oskar's struggle with the bullies, and it is this I believe is surfacing again when Eli offers to turn Oskar:
- Oskar. Don't let them. Do you hear me? Don't let them.
- ...no.
- Hit back. You've never hit back, have you?
- No.
- Begin now. Hit back. Hard.
- They are three.
- Then hit harder. Use weapons.
- Yes.
- Stones. Sticks....
- But what if they..
- Then I'll help you.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Fan Fiction”