Once Bitten

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
Jameron

Re: Once Bitten

Post by Jameron » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:I suppose one could play Devil's advocate and argue that it was not really a happy ending, at least to the extent that freedom equates with happiness. They basically gave up their freedom in exchange for an ongoing supply of blood, a very pleasant prison, and the opportunity to become members of society at some point in the future. The libertarians among us might not see what they gained as worth what they lost. ;)
But isn't that what the majority of people do?

I like to think I'm free, but I'm in a cage as much as everyone else. I have bills to pay, food to buy, I'm trapped in my 'life'. My 'life' is a cage I chose to enter, but a cage nonetheless. I think Pink Floyd say it well...
Pink Floyd wrote:Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - "Wish You Were Here"
I feel that we are all in cages of our own doing. Some cages don't feel like cages, I'm sure Eli & Oskar's 'cage' feels a lot better than their previous existence, and their mental age helps them to not see it as a cage. So although it may not be seen as a 'happy ending' by some, I'm sure Eli & Oskar see it as such, 'happy endings' are relative. I wasn't so much put off by the apparent 'happy ending', because I too saw the 'cage' scenario. It was more the whole shift in the mentality of Eli & Oskar ... I guess I like to see them suffering *shrugs*.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

WhiteBackground

Post by WhiteBackground » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:29 pm

I found this amusing little clip just recently on Youtube:
The scene from "Once Bitten", where Eli teaches Oskar to play with wolves, immediately came to mind. I have a "thing" for wolves, too, I admit... It is interesting, that despite all the endearing displays of affection and their obvious sweetness, somewhere deep down on a primordial, subconscious level, they are still frightening. Not unlike Eli and Oskar. One can easily imagine this game turn to carnage at a moments notice.
"The one with enough courage and patience to dare gaze all his life into the darkness will be the first one to see in it a glimmer of light" (c)

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 am

Why did they keep licking that person's face?

WhiteBackground

Post by WhiteBackground » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Why did they keep licking that person's face?
Licking of lips and teeth is a wolf's a sign of affection and devotion. She is a member of their pack, as far as they are concerned, and a superior one to boot. And she was away for some time, so they missed her.
"The one with enough courage and patience to dare gaze all his life into the darkness will be the first one to see in it a glimmer of light" (c)

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:28 pm

I came across this website today and could not help thinking about the end of Once Bitten and Oskar and Eli's illuminated garden with its glass flowers. I never knew people had actually designed such things...

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/tags/sculpture/

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm

I like "Landscape Light Sculptures". I can imagine those in Eli&Oskar's garden. Honestly, I can imagine all miracles of the world in their garden (sad smile)
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 am

I really enjoyed this story! I liked the way you blended elements from both the novel and the film (or at least that's the way I interpreted it). I liked the ending too. Don't know if I could call it a "happy" or "sad" ending, but I think all in all the kids are happy. They are together, they are safe, and they don't have to kill for blood. Given their "condition", this might be the best they can hope for.
She touched my soul and now I bear her sentence. But, for her love, I'll gladly pay

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

That was beautifully written. I got teary-eyed on some parts.. x'D <3
--
Du waren Eine Sommer aus Rücksichtslosigkeit
aber man hatte immer diese zwei Regeln --
Bleib bei mir.. und nicht nach ein Geist geworden.

--

wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue May 15, 2012 1:04 am

Jessi wrote:That was beautifully written. I got teary-eyed on some parts.. x'D <3
:) Thank you

Hard to believe it's been more than 2 years since I started that story...and coming up on 3 years since I first saw LTROI!

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 am

OutsideLookingIn wrote:I really enjoyed this story! I liked the way you blended elements from both the novel and the film (or at least that's the way I interpreted it). I liked the ending too. Don't know if I could call it a "happy" or "sad" ending, but I think all in all the kids are happy. They are together, they are safe, and they don't have to kill for blood. Given their "condition", this might be the best they can hope for.
Thanks! I guess you could say that they are about as happy as they can be, under the circumstances, absent a dues ex machina plot intervention.

Return to “Fan Fiction”