and think it's oddly appropriate for this story
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

N.R. Gasan

Re: Love's Epitaph

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:38 am

cmfireflies wrote: was listening to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElDkqpTO ... xt_from=PL

and think it's oddly appropriate for this story
I have to agree. Nice find, cm. :) I'm honored that you would do so.

By the way, I'm currently working on another story, one that's much more upbeat than this one. It should be ready to post in a week or so, thereabouts.

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:All right, that one just killed me.
Not sure if this PG 13. But i agree. :cry:

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 am

I just thought I should say "Thank you" for writing your story.

I enjoyed it very much, although I'm not sure how I feel about Eli having a new vampire friend. It's a new concept to me. I read your story a few weeks ago, but I'm still unsure about Kayla. Eli seems to have kept the humanity she gained from Oskar, I hope the lack of human friends doesn't allow her to forget it again.

Anyway, thank you :)

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words. It makes all the tears shed while writing "Love's Epitaph" worth it. :)
Lost it when Elias took out the Morse code and the Rubik's cube. I'm still crying right now. Not sobbing. Chest heaving like I want to sob. Hard to swallow past the lump in my throat. Not sobbing, but eyes full of tears and one tear making its way slowly down my cheek. Damn, there goes my nose running. Just a sec while I tidy up with a Kleenex. Oh, N.R. Oh the humanity.

Okay, I'm okay now. No I'm not. Tears are back. The notebook paper with the Morse Code, the Rubik's cube. Elias kept and cherished them all that time. I'll just stop now. I feel as though I'm being ridiculous.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Child_Of_The_Corn

Post by Child_Of_The_Corn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:22 am

Why do we like to torture ourselves dongregg. We know it won't end well from the title but.. click. My heart says no but the finger says yes..click. So so very sad.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Only I will remain.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 pm

*Bump*

Let's start 2015 right -- crying our eyes out. :cry:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:14 am

And so it is. A good cry to start 2015. So beautiful, and such a fitting final resting place for the Morse code and the Rubik's cube that Eli kept and cherished for so long. :wub:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:56 am

Yes. I loved this one because it shows that truly nothing is immortal. Even love. Even Eli. What a tragedy death can be! It's consequences are so enormous and on the other hand so banal, and yet so all-encompassing that the human mind is incapable of comprehending its consequences, let alone understand it. The story of Eli and Oscar brings home to me the tragedy of all those beautiful people in our real world, who have lived and then died and, no matter how majestic and profound the essence of their lives were, have been forgotten despite all our efforts -- primarily, because there is no way such things can be conveyed to our children's children through mere words. Thus the tragedy of forgotten beauty, love, and sacrifice is the rule, rather than the exception. And each generation has to learn the lesson all over again...from scratch. Its no wonder that the true evolution of mankind proceeds so slowly. :(
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon May 18, 2015 1:31 am

PeteMork wrote:Yes. I loved this one because it shows that truly nothing is immortal. Even love. Even Eli...Thus the tragedy of forgotten beauty, love, and sacrifice is the rule, rather than the exception. And each generation has to learn the lesson all over again...from scratch. It's no wonder that the true evolution of mankind proceeds so slowly. :(
If at all, PM, if at all:

"Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.

"For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.

"For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

"All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again."

Even love. Even Eli.

Return to “Fan Fiction”