Love's Epitaph

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
N.R. Gasan

Re: Love's Epitaph

Post by N.R. Gasan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:04 am

E-gads! I don't know whether to feel elated that my story was so well received, or guilty for making so many folks that I'm fond of feel weepy. I can say that I myself got quite emotional when I was writing this -- far more so than I expected -- but I wasn't expecting others to share the experience. I mean, when you're writing something, you hope your work -- essay, story, poem, whatever -- will evoke certain emotions in the reader, but until you get feedback you're never certain if you've hit the mark.

As for any follow-ups, I gotta think about that. I mean that literally; I intended this story to be a one-shot deal. Frankly, this was my way of showing-off, kind of. I wanted to entertain and, yes, impress my fellow Infected. "Hey, lookee what I can do." Seriously, I am truly humbled by your comments. I really didn't expect my story to make much of an impression, considering all of the great fan fiction offered by members of Team Eli. I am genuinely in great company.

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words. It makes all the tears shed while writing "Love's Epitaph" worth it. :)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:
sauvin wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:I was fine until I got to the part where Eli pulled out the Morse Code and the Cube. Then it was all downhill . . . :cry:
I was OK until she dragged out the Morse Code. Honest, I was...

... OK, who's the reeking sack of mullet who hid the Kleenex...?
I thought that was just the smoke in your eyes. ;)
o/~
Break a heart, break a heart of stone
'Cuz that's all I got to give you
Believe me Babe, it ain't been used
My heart's a virgin, its never been tried
And you know I'll never cry
o/~

("I Never Cry" - Alice Cooper) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPqYPcfhUg
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

GizWeasel

Post by GizWeasel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 am

Too bad the obituary did not mention surviving family members, like a son Elias and/or a daughter Ellie.
Smitten or bitten

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:E-gads! I don't know whether to feel elated that my story was so well received, or guilty for making so many folks that I'm fond of feel weepy. I can say that I myself got quite emotional when I was writing this -- far more so than I expected -- but I wasn't expecting others to share the experience. I mean, when you're writing something, you hope your work -- essay, story, poem, whatever -- will evoke certain emotions in the reader, but until you get feedback you're never certain if you've hit the mark.

As for any follow-ups, I gotta think about that. I mean that literally; I intended this story to be a one-shot deal. Frankly, this was my way of showing-off, kind of. I wanted to entertain and, yes, impress my fellow Infected. "Hey, lookee what I can do." Seriously, I am truly humbled by your comments. I really didn't expect my story to make much of an impression, considering all of the great fan fiction offered by members of Team Eli. I am genuinely in great company.

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words. It makes all the tears shed while writing "Love's Epitaph" worth it. :)
You knew what was going to happen! :lol: :evil:

I'm now firmly convinced that this is all part of a conspiracy masterminded by Wolf, JAL and TA to turn us into hopeless emos. Even tough as nails old Sauvin has succumbed. Can anyone resist this sort of thing? If you can, I despise you! :lol:

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:00 am

Aww, c'mon guys, it was sad, but there was essentially a happy ending right?!?

I might to immunized by the fact that the very first LtROI fanfic I ever read was also set in a graveyard and was 100 times sadder...

Great job N.R!
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:25 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:I was fine until I got to the part where Eli pulled out the Morse Code and the Cube. Then it was all downhill . . . :cry:
Me too :(

I'm glad that Eli has someone new though and this one should last a bit longer too ;)
Team Eli

HonzaP

Post by HonzaP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 am

I hope nobody is about to write Eli's Epitaph :( :o
Phillip J. Fry: "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life."

"It is the nature of men to create monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:34 am

HonzaP wrote:I hope nobody is about to write Eli's Epitaph :( :o
Kinda hard to write an epitaph for a pile of ashes that blows away in the wind before it's properly cooled off, don't you think?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

HonzaP

Post by HonzaP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm

sauvin wrote:
HonzaP wrote:I hope nobody is about to write Eli's Epitaph :( :o
Kinda hard to write an epitaph for a pile of ashes that blows away in the wind before it's properly cooled off, don't you think?
my point is Eli not a vampire creature, no matter if it would be epitaph for a pile of asches, skeleton, rotting corpse or chopped body on some scientist's table, it would be epitaph for ELI and this is which would have really great emotional damage on most of us (in my opinion)

EDIT: and what about cremation? is it easy to write an epitaph for an urn full of asches? (no offense of course ;) )
Phillip J. Fry: "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life."

"It is the nature of men to create monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Memories are bittersweet
The good times we can‘t repeat
Those days are gone and we can never get them back
Now we must move ahead
Despite our fear and dread
We‘re all just wishing we could stop, but

Life goes on

(This was just because I've realized what Epitaph Records' name means, I never checked that word in the dictionary until today. Hehh.)

So. This was good. I'm glad you shared this with us. Sad as hell it was, yet 10 minutes after reading it I feel strangely relieved. Probably because I got "Can't Repeat" on the radio. Good combination with the story.
cmfireflies wrote:I might to immunized by the fact that the very first LtROI fanfic I ever read was also set in a graveyard and was 100 times sadder...
Yuck, I remember that one, it was written by Chun. Saddest thing I've ever read. I'm sure NR didn't want to top anything in that way. I feel a kinda-happy ending here.
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

Return to “Fan Fiction”