Love's Epitaph

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
HonzaP

Re: Love's Epitaph

Post by HonzaP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Microwave Jellyfish wrote:Yuck, I remember that one, it was written by Chun. Saddest thing I've ever read. I'm sure NR didn't want to top anything in that way. I feel a kinda-happy ending here.
would it be masochistic for me to ask for this fan fiction link? :roll:
Phillip J. Fry: "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life."

"It is the nature of men to create monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm

As far as I know it's not available online now, but... well, sorry for going totally OFF in your topic, NR, but here's the story: the guy (?) who wrote it, chunlou (the infected behind that LTROI group on facebook) was posting on the IMDb boards, long before this forum existed, and since there's no archiving there, Chun's work mostly lives in our memory only - and, luckily, in a document file in which someone - I don't remember who - has saved most of Chun's stuff, including that story. I don't think it's available now anywhere online (it was on a filesharing site, but that was like a year ago or so), but I'm sure some folks have it on their computers, they can help you.
(At home I have it on my PC, but I'm far away from there right now. If the others can't share it, I will as soon as possible - that means March 14 late night.)
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

lombano wrote:It's very good.
gary13136 wrote:Maybe, just maybe, Eli's tears were really for Eli.
I think so.
GizWeasel wrote: Also, do you think that soon after Elias met Kayla, that Kayla may have asked Elias to go steady and be her boyfriend, and Elias had to reply, "Kayla, I'm not a boy." :roll:
Well, we don't know what Eli was wearing when they met, or who asked who out, so for all we know it was 'Kayla, do you want to go steady? Wait, don't look at me like that, I'm not actually a girl...'
Eli was probably still wearing the "psychopants"--considerably patched by now. :D
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 pm

God, yes, s/he'd still be the same size...

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 am

That was a very touching epilogue, with another turn of the screw regading the epilogue title.
And definitely an ambiguously happy end.
This would always be Eli's fate when dealing with people - to see his friends grow, beginning to think thoughts he never will be able to grasp, becoming someone he no longer can fully understand :( . Unless he at last find an eternal friend, as he does here :) .
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm

drakkar wrote: . Unless he at last find an eternal friend, as he does here .
Why couldn't it be poor Oskar! It should have been Oskar! :cry:
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm

covenant6452 wrote:
drakkar wrote: . Unless he at last find an eternal friend, as he does here .
Why couldn't it be poor Oskar! It should have been Oskar! :cry:
I'm also pretty sure Eli's tears are for Eli. It really warms my heart that Eli still retains her humanity after 70 years without Oskar.

Oskar must have lived a happy life. He has been searchable on the web, hinting that he has conducted his life fairly well. Eli still has a big heart; (s)he rescued Kayla. So if Oskar had experienced much hardship, Eli at some point surely would have knocked on his door and said "Hi Oskar, you have to invite me in, remember?". But I AM puzzled about Eli refraining from hinting Oskar about her existence, so he knows she is well. Wouldn't that have been easier for both?

It also puzzles me a bit that every time I get the chance, I side with Eli:
Of course it should have been Oskar! Now Eli was left unhappy another handful of decades! :( Gasan - how could you?! :think:
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Mr.Sample

Post by Mr.Sample » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Microwave Jellyfish wrote:As far as I know it's not available online now, but... well, sorry for going totally OFF in your topic, NR, but here's the story: the guy (?) who wrote it, chunlou (the infected behind that LTROI group on facebook) was posting on the IMDb boards, long before this forum existed, and since there's no archiving there, Chun's work mostly lives in our memory only - and, luckily, in a document file in which someone - I don't remember who - has saved most of Chun's stuff, including that story. I don't think it's available now anywhere online (it was on a filesharing site, but that was like a year ago or so), but I'm sure some folks have it on their computers, they can help you.
(At home I have it on my PC, but I'm far away from there right now. If the others can't share it, I will as soon as possible - that means March 14 late night.)
May I?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4918240/1/Ephemeral

I've just read it myself. Pretty depressing stuff, I can tell. Unfortunately very well-written and faithful, too.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Agreed, but I didn't find it very touching. While Gasan's story hit me hard.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:28 am

Keep in mind, it was the very first some of us ever read. We haven't experienced deaths of beloved FF characters yet, or even more depressing visions about their future. Before the training these stories gave us from our fellow infected guys, our hearts broke waaaay more easily. ;)
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

Return to “Fan Fiction”