Thursday Evening (Fanfic)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
Galen

Thursday Evening (Fanfic)

Post by Galen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:43 am

Hey all -- I hope posting a fanfic right here in a forum post is alright, since the fanfic upload section seems to be broken. If not, please accept my apologies and delete. :)

I only discovered Let the Right One In a couple of months ago randomly, watched the movie, fell in love, immediately read the book, and well, obsessed over it really. Naturally I found this place, and read a bunch of fan fiction.

I was inspired by all of the great writing here to write something myself... and so, sorry if you see any of your fanfiction being used as inspiration in my writing here, a lot of it has seeped into my brain. :)

What I’m going to post here is basically just a brain dump, unedited and probably filled with errors, both grammatical and factual, but please feel free to correct / criticize, especially if I got something wrong about the time / location / events that occurred in the book.

So, without further ado, something nobody asked for, that’s already been done to death, and is unfortunately rather boring I'd say.

-----------------------------------

“No, no, please.”

Those were whispers he thought he heard, while in a haze of alternating shadow and smears of colors. Everytime it felt like he was slipping into the darkness he felt something pull him back: a sharp jostling of his head, a gust of air across his whole body, a loud slam. Pin pricks of light cut through the blackness that consumed his vision and became blinding, making him realize that despite being unable to see, his eyes were in fact open.

The last jostling was accompanied by a tight squeeze to his chest, and he felt himself cough up some amount of water. Suddenly he took in a deep breath, his first true breath in a long while, ragged and noisy as his lungs filled with new air. He couldn’t lift his head, or any other part of himself, not yet.

There was some more coughing and then suddenly a deep chill overcame him. The air was freezing, and it had been, but up until he’d taken these breaths, he’d felt warm, cozy, and at peace. Now, his body felt assaulted by cold air, like needles were being stabbed into every inch of his body. He tried to lift his head again, which he did with a bit more success. The rest of his body seemed to be feeling once again, and able to move once more.

He felt like he could see but it was still all blackness, except for a circular glow of white overhead; it was the moon, swaying back and forth. Despite being freezing, he felt his body completely out of his own control, disoriented, his head was hanging upside down, and it felt like he was floating. In the moonlight, he could see the glimmer of snow on the ground and closer to him, pale skin and a familiar jawline, but he couldn’t hold onto the visage. His neck muscles gave out and once again the darkness fully enveloped him. At least he wasn’t cold anymore.

--

“Please, please.”

Again, he heard the whispering.

Am I dreaming?

His senses slowly came back to him, all except sight. He smelled chlorine, and something musty. He tasted the chlorine, too, and something rusty in his mouth. He felt something scratchy against his skin, itchy. There was warm humid air around him, going in and out of his nose and mouth as he breathed. And then he heard the whispering again.

“Please... please.”

Slowly but surely, Oskar attempted to sit up, his body still weak, but something was holding him down, or so it felt. After a bit of movement he realized what it was. His body was wrapped up in a musty wool blanket, and he shifted in order to untuck it and free himself.

“Oskar?”

He grunted as he tried to respond to the voice in the darkness. It took a cough and a clearing of his throat to recognize how raw his throat was when he finally managed to whisper out a hoarse, “Yes?” The moment he was able to get an arm free from his side and out of the blanket he felt a hand upon his shoulder.

“Oskar!”

A sound of exasperation, relief, joy, sadness, all rolled into his name, spoken just above a whisper, and suddenly another familiar feeling and smell -- that of his friend. Eli’s hair on his face and a mouth on his shoulder. A strange wet warmth was on his shoulder, then droplets running down his back -- tears. Eli was crying; Oskar felt shuddering against him with each breath his friend took in, clearly unable to contain the emotion. Instinctively, he held an arm up to Eli, grabbing the nearest body part he could -- an arm and shoulder in this case, and pulled tight. That seemed to only intensify the weeping he sensed but could not hear.

They stayed like that for a few minutes. There was no more crying at least; Oskar had shed a few silent tears himself about the ordeal, of which he could remember very little. Finally though, he spoke.

“I can’t see.”

“It’s dark.” Eli whispered back, lips right beside Oskar’s ear.

Oskar realized where he was finally, the storage room of the apartment complex, however they’d managed to get in. He also realized he was still in his swim trunks and nothing else. He blinked a few times, his senses finally coming back to him. His brain had gotten enough oxygen and he was feeling surprisingly alert.

“How did we get back here?”

“...We flew.”

We flew? Oskar chuckled quietly at the thought, but it didn’t seem so far-fetched anymore. His hand slowly released his grasp on the arm around him and sat up straight. Eli’s body slipped away from him and in a moment there was a blinding flash of yellow light from the light bulb.

Slowly but surely his eyes adjusted and there, by the light switch stood Eli. Eyes red from crying, hair and shirt still damp. The small figure approached him and he felt his heart jump when Eli crouched down beside him.

Why am I nervous?

He was well aware of what Eli was, and he’d accepted that, even if it meant they couldn’t be together. The last time they were together had been traumatizing maybe, perhaps that was why he was nervous now.

Was it because of what had happened at the pool? To him? To the others -- there were flashes in his mind, little bits of sound that he recalled hearing in his daze. People were dead. Eli had saved him, he understood that almost implicitly; no, that wasn’t it.

It was the fact that Eli had come back. As much as he cried his heart out at the loss of the person he was closest to, how numb he’d been, he had made peace with the fact that now, at least, life would be normal again, as much as it hurt. He hated his life, but so did many people; at least it was normal. But now that wasn’t so certain, and he knew he hadn’t gotten over Eli.

“I wasn’t sure if you would make it... but your heart was strong.” Eli placed a hand to the his chest, making it beat even faster. Tears seemed to well up in Eli’s eyes only to be pushed down with a stern face of concern taking over instead.

“I thought you’d left.”

“I did.” Eli glanced down, then after a moment, back to Oskar, blinking once, “I thought I did.” Oskar thought he saw a look of regret, but no, it was something else -- apologetic at the very least. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry -- why are you sorry?”

“I--” Eli hesitated, “I caused this, and now it’s a mess. You don’t deserve to be-- I can’t do this to--”

“Eli.” These weren’t even complete sentences, Oskar was having trouble understanding anything, but he could sense the pain Eli was feeling.

“The only thing I bring with me is death.”

“I would have died. Eli.”

Eli finally stopped, meeting Oskar’s eyes. With a furrowed brow, there was a sense of uncertainty, hopefulness.

“Thank you, for saving me. But, I’m glad you came back.” Oskar had a genuine smile plastered across his lips. “I really wanted to see you again.”

“Yes.” Eli’s eyes softened and on came a broad smile. Of course, if something had actually happened to Oskar, there would be no telling what Eli would have done, especially having witnessed it.

The two sat next to each other once again, arm to arm, saying nothing to one another. The feeling of being next to each other was enough for a while. Then Oskar spoke again, curious.

“How long was I out?”

“Not long, a few minutes... A long few minutes.”

His senses finally came back to him fully. Eyes wide, he turned and gripped Eli by the shoulders.

“You have to leave, now.” He stood up and pulled Eli up alongside him. Eli’s eyes were wide in surprise at Oskar’s sudden intensity, but both of them were on their feet before long.

“I know,” Eli’s head shook with disappointment, “I just... I couldn’t leave you here without knowing.”

“They’ll come looking for us, for me. The police will question me--”

“I know, I’ll leave.” Forceful, definitive, sad, even a bit angry. Eli stood up, but couldn’t seem to stop looking at Oskar, couldn’t seem to take a step away.

Oskar looked up, and suddenly it dawned upon him what he was saying. Leave -- this time for good. No, that wouldn’t do, he couldn’t bear it, or at the very least, that wasn’t what he wanted.

“I’ll come with you.” His eyes lit up, while Eli’s brow furrowed, looking horrified by the thought.

“No, no -- you can’t.” Eli’s head shook ‘no’, reinforcing the statement, walking away from the blonde boy before turning back to fix him with a determined look. With the lower lip being bitten along with wide eyes and a tight jaw, upset. “It’d be too much for you.” Eli’s head shook again.

“I have to--”

“No.”

“Please, Eli I--” Oskar took a step forward, toward Eli, who retreated.

“No!” Eli took another step back and held a hand across the mouth, regretting the volume of that shout.

“I have to -- I can’t stay here any longer. Take me with you, wherever, away from Blackeberg.” Oskar walked, no, staggered toward Eli, his legs still not fully under him. If he had just been more surefooted, perhaps things would have been different, but Eli couldn’t bear to see him in this condition, and in a second the both of them were in each other’s arms, with Eli holding up the majority of Oskar’s weight.

They stood there, their chins on each other’s shoulders, just absorbed in one another, silent.

“Alright.” It was spoken quietly, with a pair of lips tickling Oskar’s collarbone.

“Really?!” He pulled back and away, looking into those familiar eyes seeing a bit of surprise, and then a faint smile.

Oskar’s arms wrapped around the frail feeling body in front of him that managed to support all of his weight effortlessly. His efforts were reciprocated, and the two stood in a mutual embrace, heads lying on each other's shoulders once again. Eli inhaled deeply and pressed into Oskar’s neck briefly only to pull away and turn to face his shoulder instead, nuzzling against his bare skin, whispering.

“Yes.”

After a moment or two more like this, reveling in each other’s warmth, Oskar took in a deep breath. There was no more time to waste.

“Let’s get your things, we have to leave right now.” Finally with his feet underneath him, and used to his own weight again, Oskar went over to the rugs where Eli’s things were.

“And your clothes.” Eli smirked, staying close to Oskar’s side in case he needed the physical support, and just for some much needed closeness.

“Right.” Oskar half laughed to himself, still entirely too nervous. He was rushing to uncover a few things, leaving Eli’s side in the process. There must have been some older clothes that his mother had packed away. Every noise he thought he heard could have been his mother coming to look for him, the police coming to his house.

Squinting, Eli confessed apologetically from a couple of steps behind Oskar, “I left all of yours at the bathhouse.”

Oskar shook his head as he found a “It’s ok, I have some here I think.”

“Yes.” Eli nodded, standing still with arms crossed over each other.

Suddenly, he paused, looking over his shoulder to Eli who he suddenly realized was wearing something awfully familiar. Oskar looked puzzled.

“Is that my shirt?”

Eli, who was not at all as worried as one should be, clearly, looked at the shirt in question and shrugged, smiling embarrassedly, “Yes.”

Oskar shook his head, not knowing what to think about that, but it seemed to fit, they’d take what they could for now, leave, and he’d get to ask questions later. He rushed to find clothing, all of which was now a bit too small... for him, at least. Nevertheless, it would have to do. He dressed as warmly as he could, stuffed his feet into shoes a size too small.

Eli, meanwhile, went to collect the boxes Oskar had taken from the other apartment. Interestingly, it seemed like they had already been stacked, sealed shut, and neatly wrapped with a few clothes for easier carrying.

There was a loud noise from up above, or outside, and Oskar jumped. “Let’s go.”

Whatever the case was about anything, they would have to talk about it later. It seemed he wouldn’t have a chance to say a final goodbye to his mother, or even to collect any of his things -- not the things he cared about anyways. Sure, there were many of them he still liked, things that he’d had for as long as he could remember -- but those were from his old life. He knew this was the start of his new life, it had started the moment he’d been pulled from the pool.

He grabbed one of the tied sacks of cloth Eli had made in one hand, and Eli’s hand in his other. As the two of them hurried out of the storage room, he realized that he wasn’t leaving anything behind that mattered to him, not anymore. Everything he needed was right there, not in his hands, but holding his hand. The old Oskar was dead, and this was the new one.

--

They ran, hand in hand, through the courtyard, down Ibsengatan, through another complex’s parking lot, heading as quickly as they could toward the train station. It wouldn’t be far, but Oskar knew the police would be nearby -- the lights and the sirens were audible in the distance, and seemingly always on the brink of being right in front of them, and that seemed to keep Eli similarly focused on leaving.

Even though, if he thought about it, he’d know they wouldn’t yet know who to be looking for, but it didn’t make him any less frightened about being stopped and questioned. Oskar was barely able to make the short run to the station before he was entirely out of breath, his muscles burned, and his chest ached.

Before he knew it, his arm was hoisted over Eli’s shoulder, and he was being helped into the station. He was barely able to speak as they made their way to the station. The next train toward the city center would arrive shortly.

“We should go into the city I guess? Or maybe--” Oskar considered briefly going toward where his father lived, or just in the opposite direction. Maybe they could find a way to live out there -- no, that didn’t make sense. The opposite direction of Stockholm would mean away from wherever the detectives were busy with the murders in Blackeberg, no doubt, but he didn’t know if that mattered. His head hurt and he frowned, upset he couldn’t figure out how to run away properly.

“I have a hotel room in the city, come on.” Eli pulled on him, breaking him out of his indecision, and leading him to the platform. The next train toward the city center would arrive shortly.

“Okay.” Surely Eli knew what to do better than him, after two hundred years, you had to know how to take care of yourself right? But this was different, now he had to be taken care of as well. He suddenly felt like, well, like a child -- and a burden. He wouldn’t have to make the decision, it seemed.
Last edited by Galen on Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkmoberg1

Re: Thursday Evening (Fanfic)

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:38 am

Bravo! This is wonderful. Yes, it is well covered ground, but with fresh eyes. Welcome to, well, not just the forum, but also to the fan-fic side as well.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:16 pm

Very good story.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Galen

Post by Galen » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:49 am

Thanks and thanks! I suppose I'll just keep posting in this thread as I write more for this particular part of the narrative.

For whatever reason this stuff has just been spinning around in my head, and I needed to write it down. I'm sort of hoping if I work through it all, it will bring about more creativity somehow. :P Bonus if anyone happens to enjoy reading it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed writing it.

---------------------------------------

There were no police in the station, nor on the train, no murmurs of what happened at the bathhouse. They were lucky -- they’d gotten out fast enough. Oskar sat down in the window seat looking out into the darkness of the night, out of breath, yet he still felt his heart beating quickly, he was so incredibly nervous. The box he’d carried was set down on the floor in front of him, and he found it difficult to look at Eli who climbed into the seat next to him, looking forward.

As certain as he was that Eli needed to leave, and he wanted to come along, he couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps he’d made the wrong decision. He’d made it in haste, and everything about the current situation made him uneasy. He sat next to a person he cared for, who gave meaning to his life -- no, gave him his life... but also a murderer, a killer, a vampire. Oskar stole a quick glance to the side as he thought that last part over once again, he could still hardly believe it -- like he was in one of his books.

Eli noticed Oskar’s glance, their eyes not quite meeting each other before he turned away once again and shivered, partially from having nearly drowned minutes ago, and partially because of the circumstances surrounding leaving home.

He heard some movement beside him but decided not to look, not until he felt a hand on his back. Eli had climbed up into the seat further, both feet on the cushion and took a spot behind him, curling up against him. He felt those familiar hands snaking under his arms, and he relaxed, and let it happen. Oskar stared out of the window as they started to move, the world becoming a bit blurry as he suddenly felt his mind release its grasp on reality.

They got glances from one or two of the passengers of the otherwise deserted late evening train, but that was all. Oskar didn’t see them though, his world was going black once again.

--

“This one.”

Oskar was jostled awake gently.

“This stop.”

“Eh?” Oskar cinched his brow and rubbed his eyes, pushing his face away from the wall of the train; he'd fallen asleep against it, with spit running down the side of his mouth. He rubbed his cheek and chin dry and blinked. He’d only been out maybe twenty minutes, but it was enough to make him groggy, or maybe that was the fact he’d recently had a lack of oxygen to his brain for three minutes.

“Right.” He got up and clumsily gathered Eli’s box in the blanket he’d been carrying it in and they made their way toward the subway door just as it opened. Eli garnered a few uncertain looks from the few people walking about given the lack of heavy winter clothes, but they had more important things to do -- get quickly inside, away from any prying eyes.

Oskar could keep up a bit better now, though the entirety of the time his arm was gripped tightly, held close to the smaller body beside his as they made their way a few blocks to what Oskar came to realize was a hotel. It wasn’t anything special, it looked like the sort of place Eli could stay without too much attention being drawn to the fact that a twelve year old was checking in by themselves. Nevertheless, Oskar had a hard time not looking at absolutely everything, and that included the attendant who eyed them suspiciously.

He was dragged through the hall to the lift, without a word spoken between them. Oskar’s urgency in Blackeberg seemed to have rubbed off on Eli. It was only once they’d both made it to the room and locked the door that it seemed either of them felt at ease.

--

A light switch was flicked on.

Oskar inhaled deeply through his nose as he looked over the room.

What am I doing here?

Eli had been here alright, probably since leaving Blackeberg. The windows were covered with blankets, barely anything was around, and -- he sniffed -- a faint smell of fetid blood, somewhere. He felt like he was in... a lair, again. A dragon’s lair, filled with the remnants of the corpses of knights who came to slay it. He looked down to the box of Eli’s things, which he had set down gently; now the lair was complete with treasure. Immediately he felt nervous.

“Eli?”

The beast of the lair was across the room, having set down the other box upon the ground near the door, back facing Oskar, seemingly unwilling to turn around at first. He took a few steps forward. The rest of Eli’s things were strewn across the bed. Clothing -- some he recognized, some he didn’t -- a few puzzles, some money, more jewelry, a leather wallet.

“You can sleep here tonight.” Eli pointed at the bed without before having a realization of what it looked like, quickly swiping the things off of the bed, into one of the bed sheets on the floor.

Oskar inhaled and exhaled, trying to stay calm and come to terms with the choice he’d made, at the same time, he felt the urge to go to the bathroom and started over to it.

Eli turned around to face Oskar, running to get in his way.

“Don’t go in the bathroom, please.” The door had been open a crack, dark as could be in there, when Eli had grabbed the handle and closed it, a hand placed on the doorframe. They stood face to face, inches away from each other, looking into each other’s eyes.

“I’m going to have to sometime.” Oskar smiled -- finding a bit of humor in the subject.

“Hold it, if you can.” Eli seemed serious, almost upset, “Or go somewhere else in the hotel.”

Oskar furrowed his brow. That fetid scent was definitely coming from within there. Maybe he didn’t want to go in there after all. How was he ever going to get used to this, if he really was going to be with Eli -- and that’s what this was -- he’d made his decision to be together, forever.

“How long can we stay here? They’ll come looking won’t they?”

“Not long. We should leave tomorrow... I.. I didn’t plan to stay as long as I have.”

Good. Anything to get me out of this place.

“Where are we going to go?”

“I have some more things to pick up in Karlstad, and then we’ll go far away.”

“Ok.” He swallowed hard, deciding to walk over to the sink instead and get a glass of water, he was far more parched than he’d realized at first. Karlstad already sounded far to Oskar, how much further would they go.

Eli slowly stepped away from the bathroom and went to wrap more belongings up in a sheet for easier carrying.

Oskar wandered back with a glass of water, his eyes shifting between Eli and anything else. “How... Why do you have my clothes on? You already went to the apartments?” He paused, his voice deepening as he sounded as though he had an epiphany, “To get your things?” He took a sip of water, and tried not to sound accusatory, but it was hard. He wanted to know what was going on.

“I did, I--” Eli hesitated, teeth biting onto the lower lip while considering exactly what to say -- conflicted looking. Finally, what came out was clearly the truth, “I wanted something of yours to keep, to remember you...” Eli’s eyes shifted down, looking over the clothing in question, “To smell you.”

Oskar felt terrible inside. Apparently they had both been pining after one another for the past few days -- it felt like an eternity to him, and it felt even better knowing the feeling was mutual.

“You could have asked.” He shot Eli a smirking smile, a lot of the doubt and fear he had fading away significantly.

“I was going to!” Eli sounded almost offended, and stood up to approach Oskar, head tilted down looking almost bashful, “I wanted to see you. And then, you weren’t home.”

They had both seemingly had their reservations about taking things to this point. Eli had made it clear it seemed like a bad idea for Oskar to come. Between running and Oskar being unconscious, neither of them had much time to think about it.

Eli crossed the room, meeting Oskar’s gaze, walking -- almost floating toward him. While Oskar felt himself nervous, he didn’t move, and in a moment, Eli took hold of his arms and pressed their lips together.

The wonderful feeling of this closeness between them, and the taste of Eli’s lips, made everything clear that this was the right choice. How could he have ever doubted his desire to be here? Eli had come back to see him, and saved him -- perhaps not to get him, but if there was anything their short time apart had made Oskar certain of, it was that he didn’t want to be alone -- be without Eli.

The horrific incident at the bathhouse replayed in Oskar’s head, and how terrified he was. Wait, that wasn’t right, he had a sense of calm come over him underwater, he recalled. But he wasn’t remembering what it was like underwater, he was remembering the bathhouse from the outside, and what he looked like through the windows. That was when he realized he was remembering the events from Eli’s perspective. He sensed the anger, the rage, and most of all, the fear. Fear Oskar was going to die -- that he was going to die. The vision broke, faded away but their embrace and their kiss did not.

For a moment or two longer, Oskar kissed back, his arms wrapped around Eli’s small frame. When they broke, Oskar realized he’d spilled some of that water in his cup. He breathed shallowly and stared into Eli’s eyes, which opened a few seconds after his.

As certain as he was of his choices going forward, everything about what was happening still frightened him. His body shivered, not in cold, but in nervousness. While he never looked away, his stare had gone a bit glassy as his mind whirled with incomplete thoughts.

“Oskar. Why don’t you lie down.”

He blinked, finally, and nodded.

“Yeah, ok.” Oskar slowly pulled himself away from the warmth and closeness of that smaller body, and instantly he looked unable to keep himself warm, but he wasn’t exactly cold. His arms pulled and crossed over his chest as he made his way the few steps it took to get to the bed, while Eli watched with the utmost concern.

He barely got his boots off before climbing into the bed and under the covers, his eyes already closing as he wanted the day, or night, rather to end. What he didn’t think about was how lost he would be if he woke up in the daytime without Eli there to guide their next steps and keep him company.

It was for the best then, that his eyes opened wide the moment he lay down, staring at the blanket-covered window which was pulled off to the side just enough to reveal a bit of moonlight. He lay there, on his side with the shivering of his body pulling him into an almost fetal position.

In a moment there was movement on the other side of the bed. Eli climbed into bed behind him, and it caused Oskar’s shivering to stop momentarily out of fear. Everything frightened him more than it should at the moment.

When he felt Eli’s cold hands on his skin, under his shirt, he shivered some more, but slowly, ever so slowly, he began to relax, being coaxed backwards like they had lay together that first night.

“You should undress if you’re going to sleep now.”

“Huh?” Oskar wasn’t confused by the suggestion, or the fact that Eli is saying something that perhaps his mother would, but the fact that he’d forgotten to and he suddenly didn’t feel comfortable enough to. They’d spent so much time together with barely any clothes on, why was it feeling strange for him to undress in front of Eli now? He couldn’t figure that out.

“It will help you sleep.” Eli spoke barely above a whisper into his ear, all the while Oskar felt hands holding him close, spread out across his chest, under his shirt.

“Yeah.” He responded somewhat dismissively, not doing what was suggested, while his mind began to wander. Oskar’s eyes were wide open, at least he felt like he could stay awake this time, unlike not long ago. He must have been recovering from the ordeal in the pool.

“Eli... What’s in the bathroom?” Oskar heard himself ask again even though he'd been asked not to. He couldn’t let it go, it was eating away at him and clearly playing a large role into why he was so terrified, and Eli could sense it.

There was a sigh as he felt a forehead pressed against his back while the fingertips on his chest pressed into the skin underneath.

“Are you going to stay with me, Oskar? I mean, really stay with me.”

He swallowed. They had left in such a hurry, he knew his mind hadn’t had time to process everything. They had to leave when they did, or else Eli could have been caught. He had to leave.

“Yeah. I am.”

“Really?”

In another time, another place, he would have probably been frustrated or at least snap back that he’d just said so, and he wouldn’t have said it if he didn’t mean it. But this was Eli, and he knew how much it sounded like a rash decision from a scared little kid that didn’t understand the ramifications of everything. That’s what he was to Eli, a little kid, he knew that, but he also knew they were not so different -- and perhaps that’s what made him understand why more reassurance from him was needed.

“Really. Forever.” He reached up under his shirt and took Eli’s hands into his own, squeezing them as he heard a quiet, shaky breath behind him. The shirt on his back grew warmer, and a bit damper, and he was squeezed as tightly as he could ever remember ever feeling.

The grip on his body was lessened after a half minute or so, and then Eli finally confessed.

“The man who signed for this room for me.”

“What?” Oskar had trouble matching the words being said with the meaning.

“That’s what’s in the bathroom. A man’s body.”

Oskar felt his heart skip a beat and his stomach tighten and pull up. Somehow he’d known, or at least been afraid of as much. It felt as much from one of his books as anything.

“I’m sorry. You know what I have to do, Oskar.”

“Yeah.” That was going to make getting to sleep difficult, not to mention put him back on edge, at least a little.

“Sometimes, when I know I won’t stay somewhere long, and when I’m by myself, it’s easiest--”

“--I don’t.” Oskar shook his head. “I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know anything.”

“I’m sorry.” The warm, wet spot on his back grew a little damper still, but there was no sound. Oskar’s heart sank.

“Stop saying that. Just, just don’t tell me anything. Not... Not yet. Not tonight. It’s just too much. I’m too...” He didn’t know what to say even though the word he was looking for was obvious. He shook his head and gritted his teeth together. He could deal with this new aspect of what was to be life for him, he knew he could, he just needed time.

“Too...?”

Apparently Eli wasn’t going to let this go, and it frustrated Oskar to know end. He lashed out, pulling away from the grip on his hands, only to be caught since he was being held from beneath his shirt.

“Scared. I’m scared, alright?”

“Of me?”

“Yes -- No, no, I’m sorry.”

“Of the--”

“Of everything, ok?” Oskar felt sick to his stomach and lay his head back down on the pillow, giving in to Eli’s grip on his shirt, which clearly hadn’t wanted to let him go.

“Yeah.” Eli whispered.

He felt one hand on his chest now, the other had gone missing for a moment, until it made a reappearance on his forehead. Slender fingers stroked through his blonde hair, fingertips tracing a path down his neck, onto his shoulder, and back again, over his ear and jaw, over his face, and back to his hair, only to repeat.

He let out a breath that had seemingly been stuck in his lungs this whole time. His back relaxed and he finally closed his eyes. He wasn’t afraid of Eli, he knew that... but why did he have to tell himself that?

A quiet, whispering hum broke the silence as Eli continued to caress his face, a gentle sounding melody of carefree children, yet they were anything but.

Oskar heard that voice ever so close to him, closer than before, feeling the faintest touch of lips upon the back of his neck. On one hand, he probably should have been terrified, but he wasn’t. He shivered from the feeling of breath upon his skin and then relaxed from the feeling of the rest of Eli’s body pressed against his as he was more or less embraced from head to toe: A mouth on his neck, an arm over his chest, a chest and stomach against his back, a leg on top of his, a bare foot on his ankle, rubbing up and down.

“Don’t be afraid. You don’t have to be afraid anymore. I’ll watch over you tonight, and all others, from now on.” All whispered entirely against Oskar’s neck, as though each word were also a kiss.

Oskar felt a warmth growing in his heart, and with it, his mind starting to drift. He was really going to fall asleep there, in a strange room, in a strange bed, embraced by Eli, unafraid, a dead body but one room over, on the run from police, in hiding from the rest of the world, just to be together.

With his last moments of consciousness, halfway between dreamland and reality, Oskar managed to say the one thing that seemed, at this moment, to make the future sound bearable.

“Eli... Make me like you.”

It was the last thing he could remember before the darkness came over him and brought him down, deep into the recesses of his subconscious, held tightly in a loving embrace.
Last edited by Galen on Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 pm

I'm enjoying reading this. There's indeed nothing really groundbreaking here, but it all feels to me like it fits in well with the novel and the characters act believably like themselves in terms of their dialogue and actions.

One thing I noticed is that you seem to be intentionally avoiding using any pronouns for Eli. I've only noticed a lone "they" and later a "her". Interesting choice, if intentional, and nice job on pulling that off without making the text awkward to read. In fact, I might not have noticed it at all if it wasn't for the fact that I pay special attention to that kind of detail whenever reading a new fanfic since I'm always curious about how each writer chooses to approach the issue.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:42 am

Ahh the draammaa :D
Nice stuff dude, but flying from the pool to Oskar's home in his swimshort? XD I would have frozen to death for sure. ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Galen

Post by Galen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:10 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 pm
but it all feels to me like it fits in well with the novel and the characters act believably like themselves in terms of their dialogue and actions.
I really appreciate that! I have a hard time knowing if I'm managing to hold true to their characters at all, or if I'm just off writing from my own head canon. I've been very impressed with a lot of the writing I've read here, I often find it very accurate in terms of character voice, your writing included.
Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 pm
One thing I noticed is that you seem to be intentionally avoiding using any pronouns for Eli. I've only noticed a lone "they" and later a "her". Interesting choice, if intentional, and nice job on pulling that off without making the text awkward to read.
Ah yes! I was doing that on purpose, whoops! I immediately had to go correct those spots you just pointed out, lol. :P I actually feel pretty terrible that a 'her' slipped out.

I'm not sure why I decided to write it this way since Oskar has specified seeing Eli as a 'he', and this is essentially all from his perspective. I guess Eli expressed the sentiment of being 'nothing' before, so it felt right to just write Eli as well, Eli, and nothing else. If I manage to write more in this universe after finishing this I'll probably just default to 'she' from an outsider's perspective, and 'he' from Oskar's, Eli's, or anyone who knows him well enough.

Galen

Post by Galen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:54 am

---

“Oskar.”

He heard his name whispered in a familiar voice in his dreams, a voice which gave him more warmth than any other, more than his mother or father.

“Oskar.” A louder whisper accompanied by a subtle shake of his shoulder, and he actually awoke.

“Mm?” He blinked, squinted, unable to see. It was still pitch black in the room, with not even a hint of light from behind the blanket covered windows of the hotel room.

That’s right, the hotel room, that’s where he was, with Eli.

“Eli?” He shifted onto his back and found the one calling his name straddling his chest. How hadn’t he been awoken by this weight earlier?

“We need to get ready... Dawn is in a few hours.”

Somehow those words brought a sinking feeling to Oskar’s stomach, and then absolute terror. He’d suddenly remembered what he’d said right before falling asleep. That’s right, he’d asked to be infected, as Eli had put it once, to be brought into a new way of life, to be made eternally young forever such that they may spend their lives together as they were now.

“I have our tickets --” Eli flopped down beside him, looking at him with a sense of eagerness, and he could sense better spirits in his friend compared to the night before.

What Oskar hoped, however, was that his fear was not so obvious. Unfortunately, he had instinctively raised a hand to his neck to feel if he had been bitten after falling asleep. He didn’t feel anything, not immediately, he didn’t feel different either, but that didn’t mean it hadn’t happened, not to his racing mind. How could he have blamed Eli if he’d been bitten -- if his request had been taken seriously. It was serious, after all, and that was what frightened him the most.

“The train will arrive after dark, you can keep me beside you the entire time.” It seemed like Eli hadn’t noticed his concern, and from the sound of it, he wasn’t a vampire, not yet anyways.

“Eli.”

He saw the subtle green reflection in Eli’s cat-like eyes, focusing on him, seeing him in a clarity in the dark that he couldn’t imagine.

“Yes?” It was the voice of his closest friend, and more than that, his partner. The intonation alone should have told him everything -- there was no fear to be had, nor would Eli ever have done that without his consent... or so he had to assume. But he had given consent, hadn’t he? Without telling him first, perhaps.

“About what I said last night... earlier in the night, I mean.” Oskar realized he probably hadn’t been asleep that long.

Eli watched him without saying a word at first, just a furtive lick of the lips.

“I said -- I... I meant it.” He did, he really did, he realized, it was just terrifying to admit -- or perhaps the act of it would terrify him. His cheek was immediately being cupped, caressed, as he felt Eli looking deeply into his eyes, as though looking for signs that he was telling the truth, or maybe it was something else -- reassurance.

“I remember.” There was a smile that came along with those words. Eli looked, well, playful, hopeful... and happy. Those expressions faded soon, however, “We can talk about it...” Eli’s eyes shifted away from his. “There’s nothing I would like more.” Suddenly their gazes met again, and the look in Eli’s eyes was far more intense and serious.

“Not to force you to go through what I have to... It is not easy. But, there is nothing in this world I want more than you, with me, forever. Just as we are now.” Eli’s thumb stroked his cheek, and without warning, he was suddenly thrust into a kiss once again; it seemed Eli simply could not hold back the emotion.

There was no vision this time, nothing of the past, not for either of them. It was simply the present, perhaps the ever present should what he asked for come to pass. The one who had initiated that contact broke it first, leaving Oskar with his eyes closed, still ever unable to get over the sheer delight of sharing such an intimate exchange with someone who he cared for so much. He exhaled slowly, cautiously.

“But not yet, not now. We travel today, and you will be able to help keep me safe. You need to get ready.” Eli slowly slid off of the bed, but the contact between hand and cheek remained for a moment longer.

Oskar opened his eyes and took in a deep breath, watching Eli closely, feeling a flutter in his stomach, still so infatuated despite everything that had happened.

“Alright. But when?”

“Now -- you have to get ready now.”

“No, I mean, when are you going to...” Oskar wasn’t sure he could say ‘bite me on the neck’. He knew that wasn’t even necessary, yet somehow he felt he wanted to experience it that way, like in a novel.

“Soon.” Eli assured him without any details as to when or how. A day? A month? A year? “But right now, we need to go, and I need you out during the day.”

“You can use the bathroom, I cleaned up earlier.” Eli walked a few steps over in their small hotel room and tapped on the door to the room in question.

The nonchalant comment referred to, what Oskar could only surmise, the disposal of a dead body, and it was chilling for the young boy to say the least. Eli had been busy after he’d fallen asleep no doubt.

“O-okay.” Oskar slowly slid out of the bed, realizing his clothing had been removed at some point in time as well. Perhaps if he wracked his brain he’d have remembered Eli removing his clothes while he was half asleep, nearly waking him up fully on several occasions, but he couldn’t. It was simply a mystery as to how and when that happened. There wasn’t much to do about it, however, he didn’t really mind other than the fact he hadn’t been asked if it was alright.

As he stumbled around the tight hotel room toward the bathroom, pensively opening the door only to find a relatively clean bathroom, with only subtle evidence of blood stains left in the grout, Eli’s voice suddenly appeared again from behind him, startling him.

“Oskar, I have to tell you something.” Eli placed a hand on the doorframe resting against it while watching Oskar go to the bathroom. The most amazing thing, from Oskar’s perspective anyway, was that he could actually manage to use the bathroom with someone watching him. It was probably just because of how badly he had to go.

“Yeah?” He let out a sigh as he felt his bladder no longer aching.

“I almost bit you.”

The stream of urine paused briefly as Oskar’s heart jumped.

“What?” He cleared his throat and tried to resume relieving himself, which he found to be particularly difficult now. He turned a bit, facing away from Eli and giving himself a bit of privacy; it wasn’t that unlike a line of urinals.

There was no immediate response, and he immediately wanted clarity.

“Last night? After I asked you to?” That was how he took it, it made sense, too.

“Oh no -- no, on the play gym one night.”

“Y-you did?” He hadn’t known that, but from their previous exchanges, Oskar knew it could have happened at any time should Eli had wanted it to.

“I don’t know if you remember. You had your eyes closed, when I got close to you. I almost... I could almost taste you. I wanted to, so badly, I was so hungry.” Eli was almost panting while speaking, thinking back to that time.

“You’re freaking me out a little... more than a little.” Oskar could barely muster a half-laugh to play off the very uncomfortable revelation about the way Eli looked at him -- at least back then. But that was how Eli looked at anyone who was potentially a meal.

“Sorry -- I just. I don’t want there to be any secrets between us, if you’re going to. If we’re going to. Mix.” Eli turned around to give Oskar a bit more privacy, one hand idly tracing up and down the door frame.

Oskar could feel his heart pounding. That would have to do for using the bathroom for now, he flushed and turned around.

“O-okay. I get it.” He wasn’t sure if he did, really, but he was going to try -- try to figure out if there was anything he should share. Nothing was coming to mind at the moment.

“I never would, you know, bite you. I can control it.”

“I believe you.” Oskar found himself wrapping his arms around the frail looking frame from behind. As frail as Eli looked, there was a hidden strength beneath it, and he could almost sense it, more so than times before.

Long fingers traveled slowly up the length of Oskar’s bare arms as the nest of black hair leaned to one side, into his arms.

“I didn’t know you then, but... But even then I couldn’t. I already liked you.” Eli blushed, looking down at both Oskar’s arms and dirty bare feet that needed a real bath.

“Really?” Even he hadn’t thought about Eli that way when they first met, not really anyway. Not more than the initial excitement of meeting someone you found attractive. At the time, Eli’s odd smell had kept those feelings mostly at bay, whatever the cause of it was, since then it hadn’t quite ever returned.

“Yeah.” Eli whispered while leaning back against Oskar, wrapped up in his arms. They had to rush out again shortly, but each of these moments together felt of the utmost importance.

“The moment you touched me... here.” Eli reached a hand up to show Oskar exactly what had done it -- on him this time. A hand brushed Oskar’s cheek, and while he remembered doing this to what he thought was a cute young girl from the apartment next to his, he hadn’t understood the significance until now.

He shivered from head to toe, which pulled him out of the moment.

“So we’re going to Karlstad?”

“Yes.” Eli spun around to face Oskar with bright eyes and a smile that brought him right back to their times together in his room at night.

He felt his upper arms gripped tightly as Eli squatted down slightly in pure excitement, “This is how we’re going to travel during the day.” Oskar could feel the energy radiating as Eli shared the details -- how they would travel to the station together while still at night, and then, on the platform, with no one around, Eli would slip into a large trunk which locked from the inside. It was like they were covert spies or something. But suddenly Eli stopped, paused, and looked about before going back to Oskar.

“Traveling will be more challenging in the future though... ” Eli’s head lowered slightly, eyes still locked on his, teeth bared ever so slightly in a grin, “Once neither of us can be in the sunlight.”

Butterflies were in his stomach. As frightening as it was, it was more exciting, the prospect of being a, well, a vampire, despite the obvious difficulties that lie ahead for the both of them.

Eli looked more than a little eager, and that was perhaps a little disturbing considering what this may have entailed. Even though they could not guard each other during the day, the prospect of having a companion, a real companion, seemed to be enough to breathe some life into Eli’s soul.

---

Galen

Post by Galen » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:58 am

intrige wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:42 am
Ahh the draammaa :D
LOL right? I've apparently been in quite a mood while writing this. Makes me really want to do something with them with some more levity.

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:09 am

I guess you are executing what I use to call an immersion exercise.
You have read the novel and watched the film, and now you want to - maybe need to - stay in there with Eli and Oskar.
So you write.

Keep it going!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Fan Fiction”