I discovered something rather interesting.

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
KIDempsey14

I discovered something rather interesting.

Post by KIDempsey14 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi, I'm a huge fan of the book and movie (Swedish version of course) and I discovered that John Lindqvist is a huge fan of this singer named Morrisey, and of course the book is named after a song called "let the right one slip in".
Here is where i found something interesting, some of the lyrics have certain phrases that call back to his works.

1.let the right one in
2.let the old dreams die
3.what kept you so long

those are the ones i realize were part of his work and I believe that some other lyrics could possibly mean for sequels or more stories that can relate to the series.
(possible future stories)
1.let the old days lay
2.let the wrong ones go

Let me know your thoughts and opinions but I just discovered this today.

gkmoberg1

Re: I discovered something rather interesting.

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm sure Morrissey gets a kick out of it in return. In this San Diego appearance he ends with saying "The song was very popular in Sweden. Did you know?" :D

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am

Yeah, it's not much of a secret. The refrain of Let the Right One Slip In ("Let the right one in / Let the old dreams die / Let the wrong ones go / They cannot do / What you want them to do") is quoted at the start of the fifth and final part of the novel. (Or at least it is in the Swedish original; it might be different in the translated version for copyright reasons.)

Fun fact: When I first heard of the movie—years before I actually read the book or watched the film—I assumed that the title was a reference to the Bible, since I thought (and still thinks) that Låt den rätte komma in sounded like a proverb from the Old Testament or something like that. I thought that this gave the story an ancient, mystical, and unsettling feeling, so I was pretty surprised and almost a bit disappointed when I found out where the title actually came from.

As for which lyrics could be used for future stories: John has actually stated that if he ever writes a sequel novel to LTROI, the only remaining line from the song that he wants to use is "Until my mouth dries". He mentioned this in the afterword to Våran hud, vårat blod, våra ben (a 2016 Swedish short story anthology containing the Swedish version of What Kept You So Long?) and in a post he made on this forum in 2019.
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:03 pm
I'm sure Morrissey gets a kick out of it in return. In this San Diego appearance he ends with saying "The song was very popular in Sweden. Did you know?" :D
:lol: That's pretty neat. I've sometimes wondered if he's aware of LTROI, but I guess it would be pretty strange if he wasn't.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am
Yeah, it's not much of a secret. The refrain of Let the Right One Slip In ("Let the right one in / Let the old dreams die / Let the wrong ones go / They cannot do / What you want them to do") is quoted at the start of the fifth and final part of the novel. (Or at least it is in the Swedish original; it might be different in the translated version for copyright reasons.)
I revisited that part, and read the snippets out of the news broadcasts that begin the chapter.

I remember Tjörnbron, the Tjörn bridge. I went over it with my family in our car on summer vacation in the sixties and I was duly impressed.

The bridge was wrecked in 1980 when a ship crashed into one of the foundations. A new bridge was built in record time, and was inaugurated by king Carl Gustaf in the 9th of November, 1981.

But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Fan Fiction”