Johnajvide.com forum down?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Siggdalos

Johnajvide.com forum down?

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:50 am

Is the forum on John's site down for anyone else? Whenever I try visiting the page or follow a link to it from here, all I get is a blank page, as shown below. I've tried checking archived versions in the Wayback Machine, but without any luck.

De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

intrige

Re: Johnajvide.com forum down?

Post by intrige » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:20 am

just the forum part of his site that is gone, the rest is working just fine ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:21 am

I'm aware. That's why I asked specifically about the forum.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am

The forum has been down for years. This is sad, because there were several interesting threads where JAL contributed.

For instance, JAL revealed that the scene with Eli and Tommy originally was quite different. Eli was able to transfigure himself in Barbapapa style, and made himself appear as an attractive young woman in order to seduce Tommy. This is interesting, because it explains why Eli chose Oskar's mother's dress rather than some of Oskar's clothes! Anyway, JAL said this ability would have made Eli too powerful, so he changed the scene to what it is now.

We also learned what song Oskar played to Eli in the novel. In the movie it is a song by Per Gessle, but in the novel it's instead one by Vikingarna, Flickan i hagen. Jal wrote that this record existed in his childhood home, but he hadn't listened to it for years. This might explain a couple of unimportant differences between the actual song and how it was described in the novel.

Warning: Listening to this song might change your image of the novel scene!
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1ysCiCMZ ... qK32egLCX8
YouTube music: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGB- ... uGB-6AJELE
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:30 pm

I see. That's a bummer. I wasn't able to find anyone else talking about it being down (mostly because all the search terms I could come up with were too common), so I'd started thinking it might just be on my end.

The original plan for Eli's transformation abilities is interesting. It's discussed in Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre, so I knew about it from there. I think that in addition to making him too powerful, it would've cast doubt on whether Eli's appearance as a pretty child is his true form or just a disguise, so I'm glad it was changed.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:30 pm
I think that in addition to making him too powerful, it would've cast doubt on whether Eli's appearance as a pretty child is actually his true form and not just a disguise, so I'm glad it was changed.
Yes, I agree.

By the way, the title of the song isn't revealed in the novel. It was Drakkar, a member of this forum who isn't active anymore, who was able to find it through some nice detective work. He presented his find in a thread on JAL's forum, and JAL confirmed it.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:42 pm

metoo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 am
The forum has been down for years. This is sad, because there were several interesting threads where JAL contributed.

For instance, JAL revealed that the scene with Eli and Tommy originally was quite different. Eli was able to transfigure himself in Barbapapa style, and made himself appear as an attractive young woman in order to seduce Tommy. This is interesting, because it explains why Eli chose Oskar's mother's dress rather than some of Oskar's clothes! Anyway, JAL said this ability would have made Eli too powerful, so he changed the scene to what it is now.

We also learned what song Oskar played to Eli in the novel. In the movie it is a song by Per Gessle, but in the novel it's instead one by Vikingarna, Flickan i hagen. Jal wrote that this record existed in his childhood home, but he hadn't listened to it for years. This might explain a couple of unimportant differences between the actual song and how it was described in the novel.

Warning: Listening to this song might change your image of the novel scene!
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1ysCiCMZ ... qK32egLCX8
YouTube music: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGB- ... uGB-6AJELE
I can't access either of these. Perhaps they're not available in the U.S.?
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:25 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Yes, that's likely. After all, the expected audience for this band is rather local to Sweden.

If you search this forum you'll find a link that used to be accessible outside of Sweden, but that link doesn't work anymore.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm

metoo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:25 pm
PeteMork wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Yes, that's likely. After all, the expected audience for this band is rather local to Sweden.

If you search this forum you'll find a link that used to be accessible outside of Sweden, but that link doesn't work anymore.
Well, I did find this on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fdOAJ ... ster-Topic
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:44 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm
Well, I did find this on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fdOAJ ... ster-Topic
Unfortunately, this is a different song. Quite different, actually.

Return to “Off Topic”